The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 30, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Pahoo

Reenactors: Question ???

Typically, what do Reenactors load and shoot, in movies and when they have their reenacments? What is their shot-string and primarily what do they substute for a projectile? A rew years back, I was asked to discharge my M/L at a flag ceremony. Was at a loss as to what to stuff down "Old School" and the only thing I came up with, was aluminum foil. Had a good report and while saluting the flag, it started raining aluminum flakes. Everybody just kept looking around till it all settled.

Thanks and Be Safe
Old December 30, 2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Hawg

I don't reenact but have been to a lot of them. Seems like most just use paper cartridges. They don't have real good reports, just a lot of smoke and fire. Artillery uses powder wrapped in foil and they get a good report. Got to see a 30 lb. Parrot fired once. Even with a blank charge it shook the ground.
Old December 30, 2007, 07:03 PM   #3
38splfan

Reenacting.

Before I joined the Army, I was a Civil War Reenactor. I participated with a small group called the 20th TN Cavalry. Based on a real unit from my hometown of Dyersburg, the were a Confederate Cavalry unit That saw their first major action at Ft. Donelson in the winter of '61-'62 under Forrest. They were one of the handful of troops that Forrest snuck out the "back door" when Donelson was surrendered. They finished out the war, ending at literally less than a third of their original strength. Most of their action was in the Trans-Mississippi theater.

But that's not really what you were after, sorry. Got carried away

We used paper cartridges with no wadding. No ramrods either. Real BP (not substitutes) can be poured into the barrel, the rifle tapped on the ground to semi-compress, and fired normally. Still impressive enough for the smoke and noise, but the "no ram" policy was a lot safer for the battlefeild. You'd be impressed at the damage that can be done by a steel rammer over a 60 grain blank load.

For formal events (Veteran's Day, Cemetary dedication, etc.) we used paper cartridges packed with cream of wheat, and rammed normally.

Cartridges we made using 60 grains of powder in either pre-made paper tubes or tubes we made using newsprint. Easy, just used a dowel rod for the form.

Hope that helps you out. If not, feel free to ask and I can clarify.
Old December 30, 2007, 07:26 PM   #4
tplumeri

Quote:
Got to see a 30 lb. Parrot fired once

I saw a chicken fired at an airplane windshield, but never even heard of a 30 pound parrot! Are you sure it wasnt a turkey. Or an emu?
Old December 30, 2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Hawg

Parrot Rifle. Read a history book.

Old December 30, 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

The no rammer policy is good but if you must ram, use your wadded paper. Make sure the paper is nitrated so it burns rapidly and don't use wadded paper at all if you're in a no burn area.
Old December 30, 2007, 08:27 PM   #7
tplumeri

30 pound parrot rifle

So, you shot big parrots OUT of this thing or WITH it?

Sorry, couldnt resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parrott1.jpg (25.7 KB, 29 views)
Old December 30, 2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Hawg

Real big parrots.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Colduglandon

I was looking up info on sighting in my BP rifle and came across this site.
Explains in detail what to do

Rolling Rounds

http://www.19thusregulars.com/html/rolling_rounds.html
Old January 2, 2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Pahoo

I Thank you !!!

You folks never cease to meet or exceed any expectations I might have and that is what makes for a great forum. Y'all have certainly answered my questions and then some as I too have never seen a 30 lb. Parrot.
I'm going to have to make up some of these rounds and also appreciated the history lessons. Between the Buckskinners and Reenactors, I don't know who has more fun. I thank you again and know that you are appreciated. Be safe!!
Old January 2, 2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Hawg

Excellent site Paul.
Old January 2, 2008, 10:31 PM   #12
rem870hunter

i didn't have any 12 ga. blanks for new years. so i took out the missouri ranger .50 cal. i poured a little bit of loose pyrodex down the barrel followed by a 50 gr. pyrodex pellet. rammed a wonderlubed patch on top with a dry one over that. first shot didn't make that much noise but the few after did a nice bang. a bit of a backwoods firework i guess. neighbors didn't care either. fireworks are illegal in nj but not discharging firearms on the holidays i suppose. neighbors all around were shooting fireworks and firearms. but whatever they had did not sound like blanks. i think i will try it again on the fourth of july.

i talked to a guy a few years ago who did revolutionary war reinactments. they didn't allow ramrods. and they used paper catridges with no ball or projectile. how they packed the powder charge i don't recall him saying. it made a nice pop and puff of smoke. at that time he was a corporal in the british army. they were at a fort and got playing around they started shooting hotdogs out of brown bess muskets and watermelon pieces from a cannon. i don't know if he is still doing reinactments but i am sure it was fun.
Old January 2, 2008, 11:50 PM   #13
SIGSHR

I do RevWar and have done Civil War reenacting, in both ramrods are NOT used on the battlefield for safety reasons, nor is stuffing paper down the barrel allowed. For salutes and demonstrations they are. Standard load for
the Brown Bess and Charleville was 80-90 grains of FFg, for the Springfields
and Enfields, 60 grains of FFg. Some guys used FFFg, said the residue was easier to clean. Pyrodex works fine with percussion caps, but not with flintlocks, too hard to ignite.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:23 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

A hot dog shoot. Who would have thought of it? Flying weiners. They're hot when you shoot 'em. Death by watermelon. What a pleasant attack that would have been. Can you substitute Vienna Sausages? I bought two cans for $1 the other day from Thrifty. I plan to send them to the sandbox as "canned fruit" since they're unkosher products.
Old January 3, 2008, 12:30 AM   #15
Griswold

Parrot/t Rifle

That's Parrott with 2 t's - for Robert Parker Parrott, of Cold Spring, New York. He made field and siege artillery pieces in 10, 20 30, 100 and 300 pdr. varieties. Also naval versions. They were the "Saturday nite Special" of Union artillery during the War. In Hawg's picture, note the breech reinforce (wrought iron), sweated over a cast-iron tube. A recipie for disaster, in many cases, and many of the larger ones (above 20 pdr.), but even some of those guns did burst in service. There's your "exploding Parrot"- Griswold
By the bells
Old January 3, 2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Colduglandon

Not specifically gun related, BUT I thought you might enjoy this video from the Battle of Bunker Hill Parade.

There are four units.

Middlesex County Volunteers fife and drum.

Charlestown Militia Company with BP muskets

Lincoln Minute Men with BP muskets

and Westbrook Conn Fife and drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYgtQlf_PNE

Last edited by Colduglandon; January 3, 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: forgot the hyperlink
Old January 3, 2008, 10:41 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe there would be less confusion about "Parrott" rifles if folks spelled the man's name right, with two T's. Incidentally, 20 lbr Parrott rifle No. 1 is on the square in Hanover, PA.

I am no re-enactor, and at a re-enactment last summer one of the "rebels" let me fire his repro rifle-musket. He just used powder and tapped the butt on the ground.

He asked me what I thought and I said it was interesting, since I had fired a rifle-musket hundreds of times and that that was the first time I had not sent a minie ball down range.

Jim