The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2005, 01:20 AM   #1
steveb3006

ROSSI 92 firing pin????

HELLO THERE,I have a rossi 92 levergun in 44 mag,with the saftey on top of the bolt.The firing pin is under tension(If you press it with your finger it pops back out)..I just got a 357 ROSSI 92 same deal except there is no tension on the firing pin.if you take out the bolt and shake it the firing pin moves back and forth..Is this normal??I have looked at the schematics and it shows no spring in the bolt for the firing pin..Please Help....
Old August 5, 2005, 01:32 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

hmmm

I would think it would need to be fixed to where it would bounce back due to spring tension, but without the schematic to look at, I can't say for sure. Most lever guns have the spring to bring the FP back inside the bolt after firing to keep the gun from firing when the round enters the chamber and the bolt goes closed. Can you give me a link for the gun?
Old August 5, 2005, 01:50 AM   #3
steveb3006

schematic for rossi 92

I think this schematic is without the bolt saftey..anyway heres the link..http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...es/rossi92.gif.......
Old August 5, 2005, 02:50 AM   #4
cntryboy1289

From what I can tell the spring, #61 looks to me to be a firing pin spring. it looks like the FP slides into it in the bolt. They call it the mainspring in the schematic though. Is there not a spring up inside the bolt with the firing pin? Reach in with a punch and see if you can find it. If there isn't one, I would suggest calling Rossi and asking them directly. They may have a misprint in the schematic or they have may have a different name for the spring. I haven't been able to decide exactly what that is in front of the spring though.
Old August 5, 2005, 04:26 AM   #5
steveb3006

regarding schematic

the mainspring that it shows is the mainspring,right behind the hammer.It just looks like its in front of the firingpin.I took the bolt apart and it doesnt have the notch on the firingpin shaft for the spring like my 44mag rossi,it is setup alittle different,still though it seems there should be a spring in there somewhere,but there isnt.I completely dissasembled the bolt??There are instructions that came with this rossi that didnt come with my other one.It states MAKE SURE THE HAMMER IS ON HALFCOCK BEFORE CHANGING THE POSITION OF THE SAFTEY LATCH??I wonder if they have done away with the spring??
Old August 5, 2005, 05:05 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

could be

Without seeing the FP and the bolt, it is hard to say. They could have found a way to return the FP after it strikes the primer.I would give Rossi a call and ask one of their tech guys about it.
Old August 5, 2005, 03:01 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I think this may be an artifact of copying and old design. I had an old Winchester .22 pump gun with no firing pin return spring. It would be hard to work that action fast enough to cause a slam fire, but it also didn't ignite cartridges with the greatest consistency. Perhaps this wasn't a problem with the chlorate primers of its day? I wound up machining a new pin for it that accommodates a firing pin return spring, and that solved the ignition problem. (The fact the action doesn't support case rims, and modern .22 WRF rims thus are occasionally allowed to perforate under the pressure of modern powder is another matter. This can't easily be worked out of the design, unfortunately.)

Nick