The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2015, 11:33 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Quote:
Interesting looking press, but a solution without a problem to solve!
More power? More stuck cases then there is the better lube.

F. Guffey
Old November 2, 2015, 11:39 AM   #27
serf 'rett

Observations from the video:

1. Don't see were the old primers are going. Are they dropping down through the ram?
2. It appears the operator is forced to reach around the plastic bin to access the deck.
3. Case prep tools are located on either side of the die which could result in nasty scrape/cut from reaching across the projecting decapping/seating stem.
4. It appears the ram must be held "off bottom" or part way up for the removal of a case for prep work.

Would be interested in looking at this press in person, but I can't see much advantage over my current Rock Chucker set up with the Hornady bushings.
Old November 2, 2015, 11:56 AM   #28
William T. Watts

Not interested!

I don't see see anything to get excited about, I've had a Rock Chucker seems like forever and I will finish with a Rock Chucker. The only thing new I'm tempted with is a new pickup, I'm sure there are other things out there I need more than a new loading press. William
Old November 2, 2015, 12:02 PM   #29
Vance

Regarding the shell holders. I asked Hornady about them on their facebook page and they said it is using the standard shell holders. No need to get all new shell holders.
Old November 2, 2015, 12:30 PM   #30
higgite

Quote:
4. It appears the ram must be held "off bottom" or part way up for the removal of a case for prep work.
It looks like it has a spring assist that holds it up when it's at rest.

I don't see how the so-called "unique" ability to remove a case after sizing/depriming to do some case prep and then reinsert it to finish priming on press is any different than my Lee Classic Cast or other S/S presses. What am I missing here?
Old November 2, 2015, 01:33 PM   #31
Vance

Marketing double talk. I am interested in the press, not the priming system.
Old November 2, 2015, 04:19 PM   #32
flashhole

Vance - "Regarding the shell holders. I asked Hornady about them on their facebook page and they said it is using the standard shell holders. No need to get all new shell holders."

Did they say standard Hornady shell holders or any RCBS design standard shell holder? From memory, I think the Hornady priming system only works with the Hornady shell holder. I would check on this if I were seriously interested in the press.

Edit: the Hornady shell holder has a slightly large hole than other shell holders making it the only shell holder suitable for use with their priming system.

Are you ready for civil war?

Last edited by flashhole; November 2, 2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old November 2, 2015, 06:07 PM   #33
Ozzieman

Quote:
My RCBS RockChucker (I purchased used) has given me
8 abusive years of un-failing reliable use,
Mine is beat up and nasty looking and 35 years old. Only one I use.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 2, 2015, 10:36 PM   #34
Vance

flashhole

Did they say standard Hornady shell holders or any RCBS design standard shell holder?
From memory,
I think the Hornady priming system only works with the Hornady shell holder.
You think Hornady priming systems only work with Hornady shell holders, but you don't know for sure. Yet if that is so because the Hornady shell holders have a slightly larger hole in the center, it is not that difficult to drill out the hole in other brands of shell holders.
I would check on this if I were seriously interested in the press.
I only prime off press for my single stage reloading using a RCBS automattic bench primer tool
Edit: the Hornady shell holder has a slightly large hole than other shell holders making it the only shell holder suitable for use with their priming system.
Old November 2, 2015, 10:37 PM   #35
Vance

The press only does not come with the automattic priming set up, only manual priming.