The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2000, 02:54 PM   #1
Dave P

I found some surplus 4895 type powder at good prices, along with fmjbt 147 gr bullets. This would be used in M1A.

Any reason I should stay away from this stuff?

The new stuff: H4895($19) and MK168 Sierras ($16) gets expensive fast!

Thanks
Old September 26, 2000, 02:55 PM   #2
beemerb

Nope.Good cheap banging.I have done it for yrs

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.
Old September 26, 2000, 05:44 PM   #3
HankL

Dave, Just make sure that it's surplus 4895 and not just some powder that someone thinks is 4895. I've done this for years and never been bit but I have heard a few tales over the years. Also the military powders varied some from lot to lot so you will need to use care in working up your load.
HTH
Old September 26, 2000, 10:13 PM   #4
alan

DaveP:

My reaction to commercial 4895 at $19/# is indicative of a couple of things.

1. That Iam WAAAY out of touch with the prices of rifle powder, which is certainly possible.

2. That the prices of the raw materials have gone way out of sight. I will allow that they are higher than they used to be, but not that much higher, correct me if I'm all wet.

3. That someone, somewhere in the supply chain, or several persons are making one hell of a profit.

As for mil surplus powder, if you are actually getting what the label says, use it, and enjoy.
Old September 27, 2000, 01:19 AM   #5
Clark

I have had good luck with surplus IMR4895

surplus powder
http://www.zcr.com/hitech
http://web.mountain.net/~kneiper/surpow.htm
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/brass.asp
http://www.alabamaammo.com/
Old September 27, 2000, 09:32 AM   #6
Dave P

Thanks for the data, guys. It looks like I can reduce my reload costs by about 40% if I go with the surplus, and buy large qty's.

What I don't understand: these re-sellers apperantly buy the surplus cartridges, then separate the bullets and powder, etc. Then I buy the stuff and put it all back together again, albeit slightly modified and tuned to my preferances.

Why can't I buy the surplus cartridges, and either shoot them as-is, or rebuid them?
Old September 27, 2000, 01:00 PM   #7
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave P:
Why can't I buy the surplus cartridges, and either shoot them as-is, or rebuid them?[/quote]

From what I have heard its some kind of Clinton/Gore b***s*** about the surplus cartridges. the government can only sell them if they are going to be broken down and sold as componets, if the are ro remain as a complete cartridge they must then be destroyed. Make sense huh? As far as the surplus powder I have been using it from Hitech (IMR-4895) and its great, plus very economical

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old September 29, 2000, 02:22 PM   #8
Strayhorn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HankL:
Also the military powders varied some from lot to lot so you will need to use care in working up your load.
HTH
[/quote]

Wise advice from Hank - the DoD buys this stuff by the ton, works up a pressure curve from a sample, and then loads the lot to those specificiations. It's not like commercial powder which is pretty much the same lot to lot.

The fellows at Rock Island Arsenal used to post frequently about this to rec.guns, but the chuckleheads at the Clintonized Pentagon made them stop.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC