The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 10:38 PM   #1
SPECTOR

should i use a differet barrel if im shooting slugs? i have a mossberg 500 and i shoot cans ... till its turkey time
Old January 31, 2000, 11:02 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

It will depend on what the choke is on the barrel you are using. If it is Cyl Bore slugs won't hurt it.

HJN
Old January 31, 2000, 11:41 PM   #3
SPECTOR

CHOKES ARE A WHOLE NEW STORY ...MINE CAME WITH A ACCU-MAG TURKEY AND A MOD., BUT I DONT KNOW WHICH DOES WHAT. I NEED PICTURES!!
Old February 1, 2000, 04:42 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

As a loose rule,slugs work best from open chokes, but there's really no way to be sure w/o shooting some in that bbl. They won't hurt it.

Best results w/ slugs usually come with a dedicated bbl with either a rifled choke tube or full rifling (and good sights),but if you're hunting the thick stuff and can get close, it's not critical.

If you choose to use your present bbl and chokes, try the modified.
Old February 3, 2000, 09:44 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Serendipity: Means I just read an article about turkey guns. The turkey choke is a good bit tighter than the standard full choke. Nominal bore diameter on a 12-gauge is 0.729"; most turkey chokes are around 0.660".

If you use your modified choke with slugs, I doubt if anything bad will happen, but the bit of deformation might--I say might--hurt the accuracy. I don't know.

Since you already have the gun, go buy an IC for it, for upland bird-hunting; and a cylinder-bore choke so you won't have any worries about using slugs.

FWIW, Art
Old February 4, 2000, 10:56 AM   #6
cjb

Listen to Art Eatman. Go buy a IC tube or a rifled slug tube. I wouldn't try the mod. tube. Shooting slugs from a mod. tube can be hard on the choke tube and the threads. Mossberg tubes are not expensive and it's nice to have a whole set! A friend of mine told me his 870 shoots awsome groups using 3 inch mag #4's. Turns out he was using a .640 tube that was engraved "lead shot #8 or smaller ". I said " no wonder , Your lucky you still have a barrel! " Shell out the bucks, don't take a chance!
CALVIN