Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 14, 2012, 02:11 AM   #1
ronz

Got a full auto only sks in the mail today

Firing pin is rusted solid
Imagine if it would have went to someone new that didn’t notice it
Old December 14, 2012, 10:37 AM   #2
chiefr

I had the same problem with a Chinese SKS several years ago. The firing pin froze in the out position. When I disassembled the bolt I found galling of the retaining pin into the firing pin which froze it out. I ended up replacing the entire bolt assembly and make sure it is kept lubed.

IMHO, this is a poor and dangerous design as the primer itself is used to push the firing pin back into battery before the hammer strikes. I have no idea why the Chinese never used a spring to return the firing pin into battery instead of a cartridge.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:26 PM   #3
FALPhil

Quote:
I have no idea why the Chinese never used a spring to return the firing pin into battery instead of a cartridge.
The same reason as the Americans did on the Garand, M14 and M16.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
leadcounsel

Read about David Olofson, who was found guilty and sentenced to 30 months in prison for possessing a malfunctioning AR15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Olofson
Old December 14, 2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Read about David Olofson, who was found guilty and sentenced to 30 months in prison for possessing a malfunctioning AR15.
No, he was not. Did you even read the link you provided? What you are claiming isn't even a law, LOL.

He was found guilty, according to your wiki source, of transferring a machinegun. It wasn't simply that it was a malfunctioning gun, but one that he knew was malfunctioning, one that he knew had a problem in the 3-round burst position. See post #8 here...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hlight=olofson

It should be pointed out that Olofson smithed his guns as well.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:13 PM   #6
leadcounsel

Quote:
No, he was not. Did you even read the link you provided? What you are claiming isn't even a law, LOL.

He was found guilty, according to your wiki source, of transferring a machinegun. It wasn't simply that it was a malfunctioning gun, but one that he knew was malfunctioning, one that he knew had a problem in the 3-round burst position.
Admittedly, I summarized the issue. But the key issue is that knowingly possessing a broken or otherwise unregistered machine gun (as defined) is a serious crime. And it isn't as clean cut as you say... his defense was many-fold, but along the lines that the gun malfunctioned and he didn't "smith" it that way.

It was show, basically, that he knew it was full auto and yes transfered it.

Getting back to the OP, the reason I posted a brief statement and link is that this is serious business. Fix it or destroy it. If it's held on to and, heaven forbid transerred to a buddy at the range, he could be Olofson part 2. Not something to toy around with - even if you are charged and win, you're talking about 2 years and tens of thousands of dollars later...
Old December 14, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Quick Karl

I had a real nice semi automatic rifle that some "expert machinist / gunsmith" did a trigger job on. The trigger was nice for a while, then one day out of the clear blue sky, it doubled...

I stopped shooting, packed my **** up, went home, pulled that p.o.s. trigger out and tossed it in the garbage where it belonged, and purchaded a Geissle Hi-Speed National Match trigger for $279 smackers, and the trigger is unbe****enlievably good!

I wasn't taking any chances...
Old December 14, 2012, 11:31 PM   #8
ronz

Chiefr I was going to say because they don’t value there soldiers lives as much as a million springs
But falphil gave a real answer
Thanks leadcounsel but don’t think even the most overzealous atf agent could consider it more than a inoperative weapon it wont fire when the trigger is pulled but with the firing pin frozen out could set off the first round then it would empty the mag
So pretty useless as a weapon but possibly very dangerous
I called them and they’re going to send me a new one once they receive this one and inspect it
Old December 16, 2012, 01:26 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

There is a big difference between posessing a gun for a short period that showed up damaged such as OP, and having a firearm for a long period of time you know is "damaged" such that it shoots full auto, especially if you are claiming to be a gunsmith.

I suggest OP not keep this gun in current condition and lend it to people while telling them it 'malfunctions to full auto with regularity if you do X' accompanied by a wink and nod. Doing so will end with OP in prison.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:12 AM   #10
armsmaster270

I had a RPB Industries SAP M-10 Ingram that went full auto on me. I took a Sawsall to it and cut the frame into 3 pieces and threw a piece a week for 3 weeks.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:08 AM   #11
ronz

Not familiar with them hope they didn’t sell an aftermarket trigger
But honestly you probably did the best thing if you were visited by an overzealous atf agent while waiting for a new trigger and possibly bolt. Seeing it’s an open bolt gun would probably be hard to prove that you were innocent even with new parts on order
Old December 20, 2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Edward429451

I agree with Leadcounsel and the others. Regardless of the defensability of the malfunction arm, it is a bad idea to post about it in open forum. You could draw black boots to the door and at the very least it would cost you dearly to defend it.

The law enforcement community is getting stricter and stricter and it behooves us all to be wise in what we say publicly.