The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Ammo Junky

Ransom rest

After years of drooling and dreaming, I got a new ransom rest. I took it down to the five star hunting lodge, ( my trailer on the river ). Winter prep of the wood stove and the like took most of my time, but I did get to try it. The instructions say to discount the first group for setteling, also for fouliing shots. I tried my beretta 92G with my standard load. The setteling / fouling group was 4 1/2" for five shots. The countable group was 1.8" for five at 25yd. I know one group is not a real test, but I am excited. I cant wait for next weekend to do some real testing and see what my gun and loads are really doing?. Once set up the rest saves a lot of time. I cant wait untill my super black hawk inserts get here. . Oh man! I would love to here from those of you with expereince with the ransom rest.

AJ

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old September 24, 2006, 08:42 PM   #2
SteveinAK

Where'd you get it and for how much? I've been wanting one for years. There really isn't a suitable substitute for one when it comes to testing your handgun loads, IMO.

Col. Colt made 'em equal,
more or less...
Old September 26, 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Ammo Junky

I got it at mid way. You can see the prices there if interested. I can hardly wait untill friday ( my shooting day). I can finaly see what loads really are best for my gun and where my gun is really sighted in. I can already see the rest will shoot much better than me.

Old September 26, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
629 shooter

Quote:
I cant wait untill my super black hawk inserts get here. . Oh man! I would love to here from those of you with expereince with the ransom rest.
I would really like to hear your results with the Super Blackhawk! I picked up a 30 year old SBH a few weeks ago.

I have experience testing various handguns with scopes and have often wondered how my scoped reults would compare if I had a Ransom Rest to mount my revolvers in.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Ammo Junky

My sbh and srh both shoot about 2" off sand bags. I will let you know what happens with the ransom rest.

Old September 28, 2006, 01:42 AM   #6
Jammer Six

One of the things that stops me is the inability to pour a concrete base at our range- everything I did to set it up would be strictly temporary.

Is is worth it to use a Ransom under such conditions?

Isn't the value of the thing the absolute repeatability?

Seems like when you throw it up on a bench that moves, rather than bolting it to concrete, you loose a lot of the value.

Ammojunkie, how are you going to set yours up?
Old September 28, 2006, 07:47 PM   #7
Ammo Junky

I feel I should repet. I have only gotten to use it once for two groups, but here is what I have done. I have a trailer on the river I spend most weekends testing loads at. I have a wooden shooing bench on my front deck. I used #10 11/2" wood screws to mount the ransom rest to a 2X12 board the width of the bench. I clamp the board to the bench with three wood clamps, the kind you spin with both hands to adjust. I dont think bench movement will be a big problem, but I am not oposed to putting several concrete blocks on the bench to stabilize it if nessicary. I would be suprized if normal semi-auto guns move the bench, my 480 ruger on the outhe hand well, time will tell.

Old September 28, 2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Jammer Six

Cool!

Let me know how it works out, please!
Old September 30, 2006, 09:53 AM   #9
dogfood

Quote:
I can finaly see what loads really are best for my gun and where my gun is really sighted in
AJ:

Be careful here ... certainly one would expect that the Ransom will help you evaluate loads for best group size. But impact point may change ... maybe significantly ... between the Ransom and you holding the firearm in your hand. Once you find the load you like best, shoot some groups without the rest to make sure.

dogfood
Old October 21, 2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Ammo Junky

Dog food, I am aware of the need to check my zero from hunting positions, but thanks for the tip, you never know.

I have shot from my rest three times now. A couple of weeks ago I did testing with my beretta 92g, It has x teen thousand rounds threw it. It is my main camping and pratice gun and it was a used cops gun when I got it. Despite the round count the rifiling looks clean and I belive it to be solid. I shot 127+P+ ranger, www, golden sabers, loaded 115 win hp, loaded 124 rem hp. 5 shots at 25yd. The bottom line was 3" with expensive stuff, 4" with cheap bullets loaded or bought.

Today I worked with my sbh, I shot 240 sierra, 180xtp, 180rem, 210rem,240 gold dot, 240xpt. over H110, W231 and blue dot, wlp and flpm. rp and starline cases. I started shooting at 9am and didnt finish untill 3pm . Beats doing yard work. I came home with six empty boxes and a gun so dirty the epa would have confenscated it.

There were several things I noted threw the testing. 1 The groups were pretty consistant threw a large range of powder charges. 2 The rem bullets were as accurate as the premimum bullets. I make no assumption as to how the terminal performance would compare. 3 A clean gun or a powder change, needed fouling shots to group its best, but a gross nasty dirty gun shot as good as any. 4 Almost all groups were very close to 1.5" at 25yd for (duh) six shots. 5 No mater how good the gun shoots, there is no reason for me to sight it in past 75Yd. . I migh as well go with the lower trajectory and take the advantage I can actualy use. I was very relived to find my standard load 240 sierra jhc over 23.5gr H110 was as a good as any, 1.5" or less. If anyone wants to how a spefic load worked in my gun or wants to see a particular target, let me know. Kind of out of order, but the primer made a stagering 2fps difference and the case little if any more.

For mounting, I now have a perminant mount between the post of my front deck. It is a peice of 2x12 the same size as the 2x12 the rest is fixed to. It is solid, easy to get to, I can use the rifle bench and the ransom rest as the other is cooling. . Its also a nice bench for the lantern at night. I have found it very advisable to check the wingnuts and clamps after every group and be very carefull the gun is properly aligned when tighening the nuts. Dont ask me how I know. The ransom rest was quite an investment of money and time, but going with out one now would be like giveing up my chrono.

Old October 22, 2006, 08:03 PM   #11
629 shooter

Quote:
Today I worked with my sbh, I shot 240 sierra, 180xtp, 180rem, 210rem,240 gold dot, 240xpt. over H110, W231 and blue dot, wlp and flpm. rp and starline cases.

The rem bullets were as accurate as the premimum bullets.
Thanks for the PM informing me of your new post here. That was a hec of a range session!

I too have had great results with the Remington bullet in the 44 mag , specifically , the 180 JHP. Using a friend's 44 Super Blackhawk I fired one of my best off hand groups ever using this bullet. My old 29 Classic fired some extremely tight groups with the Rem 180. Again H110 was the powder used. I have not tried this load in my "new" 30 year old SBH but I will during my next outing with the 44 SBH.

My 629 also has proved to be very accurate with the 240XTP.

Quote:
If anyone wants to how a spefic load worked in my gun or wants to see a particular target, let me know.
If you could post any pics of the 180 Rem results I would like to see them.

Last edited by 629 shooter; October 23, 2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old October 23, 2006, 10:54 AM   #12
brickeyee

"Is is worth it to use a Ransom under such conditions?

Isn't the value of the thing the absolute repeatability?"

You can still use a Ransom but you need to mount in on a base and mount a scope on the base also.
I actually have a piece of 1/2 inch Al plate that the Ransom is bolted to, along with a piece of 1 inch off to one side about 10 inches high that carries a scope.
Some benchrest type leveling screws allow the baseplate to be retured to the same spot on the bench if it does move, and the scope allows for very accurate sighting.
Old October 23, 2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Ammo Junky

This is 180 rem hp 6.5 gr W231 mv890, sd21, 7.5" sbh 25yd
1.2"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180rp65.jpg (12.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Ammo Junky; October 23, 2006 at 05:21 PM. Reason: To add group measurment
Old October 23, 2006, 05:09 PM   #14
Ammo Junky

oops.

Last edited by Ammo Junky; October 23, 2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: to fix attachment
Old October 23, 2006, 05:19 PM   #15
Ammo Junky

My 180 gr / H110 loads were done with xtps, becaus that is what I had at the time I loaded them.

The top group of 1.5" for 6rd was 28.5gr H110 mv 1590

The bottom group of 1.6" was 29.0 h110 mv 1663,es 74, sd 26

Aaaaa yes, my hand writing really is that bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180x-h110.jpg (36.8 KB, 25 views)

Old October 23, 2006, 05:32 PM   #16
Ammo Junky

This is my main hunting load 240 sierra hp 23.5 H110. mv 1387, es 12, sd 6
1.26"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240shp235.jpg (13.6 KB, 26 views)

Old October 23, 2006, 05:35 PM   #17
Ammo Junky

180 rem hp 7.5 W231 mv 989 es 28,sd 9
1.27"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 180rp75.JPG (12.9 KB, 17 views)

Old October 23, 2006, 05:41 PM   #18
Ammo Junky

This is a box stock sbh that I bought used. I do suspect it has had wolf springs put in it before me. I supose you could get better groups from a tuned gun, but for hunting, it is better than I will ever be able to use and that is how I like my guns to be.

Old October 24, 2006, 01:03 AM   #19
629 shooter

Thanks for the pics! A friend of mine is a member of a range where they actually have access to a Ransom Rest. I hope to be able to test out a few of my handguns in the Ransom Rest sometime. I scoped a few of my handguns for accuracy testing and fired some really great groups.

But on guns like a 4 5/8" 357 Blackhawk the RR would work much better for accuracy testing.

I might take my 44 Super Blackhawk to the range this weekend. My groups will not be as good as yours but I will probably be shooting off hand. Again , thanks.
Old October 24, 2006, 05:59 PM   #20
Ammo Junky

I have found the biggest factor in my rested handgun shooting is the light. On a cloudly day I can stay clost to 2". If I have glare on my sights, its more like double that.