The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 29, 2012, 04:00 AM   #1
rebs

Savage model 99 c sight ?

Does anyone know where I can get an original peep sight for my savage 99c ? It is drilled and tapped for it but does not have one on it ?
Old October 29, 2012, 05:43 AM   #2
ligonierbill

Receiver or tang mounted? I put a Marble Arms aperture on my 'D' model - a tang mounted flip up.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:21 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

99C detachable magazine, or early 1900s 99C?

If the detachable magazine 99C, it would not have come from the factory with peep sights installed, they were an aftermarket option.

At that time, Lyman and Williams both made receiver mounted peep sights. They should be a bit easier to find.

If you have an early 1900s C, then you're going to have a MUCH harder time of it. Lyman peep sights were a factory extra option up to about 1920, but they are uncommon, hard to find, and expensive as hell.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:26 AM   #4
loose_holster_dan

i believe the standard sight on a 99c was one of those slide mounted ones in the rear. that's what both of mine had.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 29, 2012, 08:22 AM   #5
rebs

I believe it is a tang mount, its drilled and tapped in the metal right at the stock.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, where is the safety located on your rifle, and does it have a detachable magazine?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 29, 2012, 08:33 AM   #7
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
i believe the standard sight on a 99c was one of those slide mounted ones in the rear.
guess i was wrong about location. this is my second one, but i just checked, and my first was the same way. neither are peeps.

BTW - THIS ONE IS FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. PM FOR MORE PICS
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Last edited by loose_holster_dan; October 29, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old October 29, 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Savage model 99 c sight ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know where I can get an original peep sight for my savage 99c ? It is drilled and tapped for it but does not have one on it ?
I have a Marbles tang sight with three different size apertures for a 99 Savage that I'll sell.
The sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation.
However if your rifle has a tang mounted safety I don't believe the sight will work.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
PetahW

The 1970's tang-safety, det5achable-magazine Savage Model 99-C's were issued only with open/iron barrel sights, but D/T'd (prepped) for scope mounting on F&R receiver rings.

The ca.1925 Savage Model 99-C's AFAIK were never originally issued with a peep sight, but rather a rear bbl flat-topped sporting sight of Savage design, and the rear tang D/T'd (prepped) for the Lyman tang peep of the day that had the long forward base that postitioned the sight staff further to the rear.

Some other Savage 99's, like the 99K's were available with factory-installed Lyman tang sights, as an option - but the rear bbl sight was left in situ.

Old October 29, 2012, 01:43 PM   #10
rebs

Mine does not have a detachable magazine, it has a rotary magazine with shell counter in the side of the receiver.
Old October 29, 2012, 02:30 PM   #11
ligonierbill

...and the safety at the rear of the trigger guard? If so, what appear to be small screws on the tang are threaded plugs. Just remove them, and the Marble Arms sight mounts right there. If you order one (just google it) get the dovetail blank to put in place of the current rear sight. Check the dovetail before you tap out the existing sight, as it is a "one way" deal. Marble may not be factory original, but they have been around since Moses was in diapers and were popular "back in the day". Great for old eyes.
Old October 29, 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Hunter Customs

I have everything you need, sight, extra apertures, dovetail blank and mounting screw kit.
If interested e-mail me at [email protected] or PM me here on the forum.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com