The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 31, 2014, 06:42 PM   #1
littlephil

Who hunts with em? 8mm06 or 9.3x62

Hi all,
I'm just curious as to who hunts with either an 8mm06 or a 9.3x62. What have you taken with them and where have you taken them? I want to hear about all the successful hunts as well as the not so successful ones. These are two cartridges I'm considering for a Mauser that I have (so there actually is a reason I'm asking about em). I'd also like to hear about anything comparable to these that I may not have thought of. Thanks in advance and I can't wait to hear some stories!
Old January 31, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2
alex0535

I would take a .30-06 over an 8mm-06 for the availability of ammunition.

There isn't an animal in this state and probably yours that would require the 9.3x62. I would consider it overkill for anything short of grizzly bear, polar bear, and bison on this continent. If I ever planned to go hunting in Africa it would look more appealing.

As far as successful hunts with the calibers you mentioned, I have no stories. But both should kill anything that walks on 4 legs on this continent without issue.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3
RaySendero

9.3X62

My 9.3x62 is a rebarrel 8mm VZ-24:

Built it for African plains game, But has become one of my favorite deer and hog rifles.

It's also the ONLY 100% DRT rifle I've ever owned!!!

Here's a comparison of the 8x57 to the 9.3x62 cartridge:

Old January 31, 2014, 07:55 PM   #4
littlephil

Alex,
I do like the 30-06, and will actually be buying one off of a buddy of mine when he comes up from Texas. The reason I'm considering the 8mm06 is because my Mauser is still an original 8x57 and I'm hoping I can just use the existing barrel. If not I'm gonna rebarrel it, just not sure to what yet. I hope to one day hunt Alaska or Africa and that would be a lot easier, financially, if I don't have to buy a gun when the time comes
Old January 31, 2014, 08:01 PM   #5
littlephil

Ray,

That is a fine looking rifle. Is it in the military stock still? And what kind of meat damage do you get on deer? Thanks for you your time and sharing with us.
Old January 31, 2014, 08:40 PM   #6
taylorce1

Having owned a 8mm-06 in the past, I's say it isn't worth re-chambering an old Mauser to one. If your throat is wore out enough to need a new chamber, then re-barrel you'll be miles ahead in the long run. An 8mm-06 isn't going to do anything better in the long run over an 8X57.
Old February 1, 2014, 01:11 AM   #7
littlephil

Another reason I'm considering the 8mm06 is because I'm trying to get some smithing practice and reaming to that will be simpler than a full on rebarrel. So if I can use the existing barrel I'll just go that route. I considered going with the AI version of the 8-06 but the reloading dies are just too expensive, especially since I'd be using the old military barrel. I realize that you don't gain much, if anything, by going to 8mm06. I'm mainly interested in the practice it will give me. Thanks and keep the info and stories coming!
Old February 14, 2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

About 20 years ago, I had a smith build a custom 9.3mm rifle for me on a Winchester 670 action. The rifle was fitted with a 25 inch medium barrel along with MagnaPorting to eliminate muzzle jump. Recoil was not too awfully bad, about the same as an average sporter weight 30-06.

I hunted with a guide in Crook County, Wyoming for a 6 day elk hunt. We saw elk everyday but all were smaller than my quest. But the fifth morning, we located a very good bull and approached cautiously to close the distance. My first bullet struck into the chest organs from broadside at about 225 yards. My second bullet struck a little farther back because I rushed the shot. The bull staggered about 50 yards and collapsed. I hunted with Norma ammo. The elk weighed approx. 650 lbs.

After this elk hunt, I rec'd an offer that I couldn't refuse and sold it. I'm more of a deer hunter actually and this rifle was too long and heavy for my needs.

They say that the 35 Whelen is just as good but I have no first hand experience to share. My choice was the 9.3mm because of bullet weight and long reputation with African and Scandinavian hunters. Norma ammo is spendy but very accurate and dependable.

Good hunting to you.
Jack
Old February 14, 2014, 01:11 PM   #9
GeauxTide

I split the difference and had a 338-06 built. 200gr Hornady or Speer is wonderful on deer. Haven't poked an elk, but a 210 Nosler has been reported to be good for 4-5 feet of penetration. Also, the new Hornady 185 GMX can be pushed to 3000 fps.
Old February 14, 2014, 01:29 PM   #10
littlephil

Jack,
Thanks for the story. That sounds like it was a lot of fun. I would love to be able to afford a guided hunt for elk since I've never hunted them before. But I think I may try and get some buddies together and maybe get some otc cow tags for a DIY hunt. It sounds like you had a very nice rifle built and it worked very well on elk. I'm trying to put together a bear hunt in PA this fall. I'll most likely be taking my M44 because it's short and light, plus I like the idea of hunting with "odd" calibers. Its not because I think they're better, but because so many people think that if it's not a 30-06 or the newest super magnum, you can't kill anything with it. Thanks again for sharing your story,I really enjoyed reading it and am glad to hear that it was a successful hunt.