The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2005, 11:14 PM   #26
oldwheat

......Many of the blacksmiths in Central America build percussion shotguns on a regular basis..................
Old June 29, 2005, 01:54 PM   #27
4V50 Gary
Staff

Neat! Oldwheat, can you give us more info, please?
Old June 29, 2005, 04:27 PM   #28
oldwheat

....Well; it's been a while, but depending upon the 'smith' of course. They are usually rather simple 'bare bones' pieces, smooth bore & they generally use whatever powder is available cheaply (not necessarily blackpowder )...I always intended to bring one back but never did...This was back when you stiil could do so without a hassle ..................
Old July 5, 2005, 08:30 PM   #29
radshop

About 25 years ago my father made a couple cap and ball rifles for which he bought only the barrel and the nipple, everything else he made himself from a design that he created himself with only 4 moving parts - the trigger guard was made of spring steel and served as the mainspring. There was the hammer, the trigger, and the trigger spring.
Old July 5, 2005, 10:12 PM   #30
oldwheat

....Thass purty good Radshop......That's how John Browning got started (Of course he probly had a little inspiration from his dad )....
Old July 6, 2005, 01:06 AM   #31
4V50 Gary
Staff

Radshop

I can see how the trigger guard can be bent to provide spring tension for the hammer. Can you post pics of your father's guns (if any are still around)? If you got one or have access to one, why not write an article for one of the blackpowder magazines?
Old July 6, 2005, 10:44 AM   #32
radshop

Thanks for the interest - I don't have any of them readily available. Although I technically own 1 (a 58 cal made from a barrel I bought at Friendship), I didn't bring it with me when I moved to the city, so it's in my brother's gun safe. I'll get some of them out next time I visit and take some pictures. One thing to explain is that the hammer was mounted on the underside of the gun, so there was nothing tricky about getting the trigger guard/mainspring to reach up to a hammer on top. The minor disdvantage of this design is that when you put the cap on, you had to pinch it so that it wouldn't fall off, but with a light pinch we never had a problem. So, go ahead and laugh at the attached drawing, but it's the best I could come up with in a few minutes. The part that's not shown is the trigger spring - I don't remember exactly where it was located, but I think he used a spare coil spring from a ball point pen (so I guess that's another part he didn't "make").
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drawing01.JPG (10.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by radshop; July 6, 2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 6, 2005, 12:00 PM   #33
oldwheat

......I pretty much assumed that it was an underhammer design....That's how they were made = Simple & effective ( But you did have to insure that the nipples were well attached)......
Old July 6, 2005, 11:29 PM   #34
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you for the drawing. It's good enough for gubmint work. I may have seen a design like that before but do post pics. It's pure American ingenuity!
Old July 6, 2005, 11:29 PM   #35
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thank you for the drawing. It's good enough for gubmint work. I may have seen a design like that before but do post pics. It's pure American ingenuity!