The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 21, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1
christera22

Regarding selling a gun

Hi ,
I am new here. I wd be greatful if someone can answer me and advice me.
We are at Ohio and my wife has a revolver that she got from her grandfather.
Its Colt 22 short. Its from the 50s-60s. She doesnt have a license on it and never needed it.
What we want is to sell it and buy a new pistol for home safety.

Now whats the procedure to do that ?? do we have to buy the license and then what ... what wd be the cost of the license and where can we sell it ... i have lts of queries.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2
stargazer65

Hi Christera,

Welcome to TFL. First off, let me say that I am relatively new. Also any advice you get here, you should understand that it is not professional legal advice, so don't take everything as gospel.

Your best bet would be to talk to your local gun shop. They will be up to date on all the specific gun laws that apply in your situation. Secondly, look it up on the NRA website (see my link). Thirdly, your local and state government web sites can help, but they are harder to interpret sometimes.

As far as I know the only requirement to sell your gun is that you can't sell to someone under 21. You as a private seller would not be required to do a background check, however you cannot sell to someone whom you know is not allowed to possess it.

To purchase a gun for home defense there is no special licensing requirement as I understand it. If you plan Concealed Carry in public then you would require a license.

Here is where I got my info: http://nraila.org/statelawpdfs/OHSL.pdf

Last edited by stargazer65; May 21, 2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 21, 2009, 03:24 PM   #3
TailGator

Many - perhaps most - gun shops take trade-ins. You might not get top dollar that way, but it is easy and certain to be legal.

Also consider that, even if legal (I don't know Ohio law), the sale of the gun by a private individual, unless it is to a friend, may put the gun in the hands of someone you would rather not have a firearm. I personally feel better going through channels that will assure a background check on the purchaser so that I am taking at least some steps to ensure that it is not winding up in the hands of a convicted felon, gang member, etc.

The above course fits my ethical standards best; if it's not for you, my blessings and best wishes.

Last edited by TailGator; May 21, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:17 PM   #4
carguychris

Here are some handy links about OH firearms laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/OHSL.pdf

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-Gun-Laws

I'm not an expert on OH firearms law, but it seems from reading those documents that private person-to-person sales to other OH residents are legal under state law. No license is required except to carry a concealed handgun. Speaking of which, it's common practice to vet potential private buyers by asking to see a valid concealed handgun license. If the person has one, they've already passed a stringent background check.

It's illegal under federal law to sell a handgun to residents of other states who don't hold a Federal Firearms License (FFL). An 01 "Dealer" FFL is required to operate a business selling firearms, so these are the most common type of FFL you'll encounter. Be aware, however, that not all out-of-state FFLs will accept firearms from out-of-state private buyers; there's not necessarily a legal penalty, they just don't want to get stuck holding the bag if the gun turns out to be stolen or illegally modified. Usually, if you want to sell a gun across state lines, you'll give it to your local FFL dealer, who will then send it to the out-of-state FFL. This is known as a transfer, and most FFLs charge a fee- typically $15-$40- for this service.

There's another type of FFL known as an 03 "Collector" or "Curio & Relic" (C&R) license, which is intended for private individuals who collect old guns. This type of FFL gives an individual the same interstate buying privileges as a dealer, but only for guns that are either >50 years old or appear on a published ATF list. If the gun's estimated age is correct, it's quite possible that your wife's Colt is C&R eligible, greatly increasing the number of potential buyers. I recommend posting pictures, information, and a serial number in the "Revolver" or "Curio & Relic" subforum to get a definitive production date. (For privacy reasons, many people blank out the last few digits of their gun's serial number with x's, i.e. "C1234xx".)
Old May 21, 2009, 09:22 PM   #5
B. Lahey

Don't sell her grandfather's pistol. You will regret it.

No new gun can replace a Colt with a family history.

I treasure my grandfathers' revolvers like no other possessions, but I guess I'm abnormal.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Hellbilly5000

when in doubt post it for sale on this sites retail section in handguns for sale
or gunbroker.com and make sure it goes from ffl to ffl

also look up wildalaska and pm him if needed he is extremely knowledgeable in just about anything gun related
Old May 23, 2009, 06:29 AM   #7
paull

Ohio law only requires that you do not sell to a prohibited person.

"also look up wildalaska and pm him if needed he is extremely knowledgeable in just about anything gun related"

Now, that's good advice.
p