The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 22, 2012, 04:53 PM   #51
Bill Akins

Quote:
Gunloony wrote:
Got to agree with you on "Shane" and "Seven", I'm not familiar with the others you cite, but I do have a minor nit to pick on your description of the survivors above. The characters who lived through the final big shootout were played by Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, and Horst Bucholz (sp?). Bronson was one of the casualties.
But who's counting?
You're right Gunloony, my mistake. It was Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen and the young Mexican teenager who survived in "The Magnificent Seven". You know why I was thinking it was Bronson surviving instead of McQueen?
Because it's been awhile since I saw "The Magnificent Seven" but recently I saw "The Dirty Dozen" again, which is another suicide mission movie like "The Magnificent Seven" and Bronson was a survivor in that. I had the survivors of those two movies mixed up Lol.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 22, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old June 22, 2012, 04:57 PM   #52
TomADC

The Man that shot Liberty Valance. Plus it was a good song..
Old June 22, 2012, 05:18 PM   #53
indy1919

Dry-Gulching

Now that is one Word that can never be used enough in a movie... Vittles a close second
Old June 22, 2012, 07:53 PM   #54
youngunz4life

"The Missouri Breaks" was a good movie...I believe that was the film that gave randy quaid his start when in came out in 1976(cousin eddy from vacation movies). Jack Nicolson had said before the movie that he was really excited about filming a movie with marlon brando
Old June 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #55
youngunz4life

I guess just to keep the thread going I could throw out that john wayne movie when he gets shot and killed: I saw that one when I was young but can't remember the name...'the cowboys' maybe
Old June 22, 2012, 08:25 PM   #56
ZVP

John qas killed inboyh the Cowboys and in the Gunfighter.
ZVP
Old June 22, 2012, 08:53 PM   #57
youngunz4life

I don't remember the gunfighter but will check it out...in the cowboys he took it like a man and a hero
Old June 23, 2012, 02:58 AM   #58
youngunz4life

"You know what that sound is? That's you choking on your own blood."
-nicolson speaking to brando "The Missouri Breaks"

(Paraphrase) *due to not being able to remember completely
Attached Images
File Type: jpg missouri-breaks-1976-02-g.jpg (191.3 KB, 28 views)
Old July 11, 2012, 01:43 PM   #59
freebird72

When you say shootout I assume you mean as in a gunfight with lots of lead flying around and not a classic duel where only one or two bullets are fired?

I am a huge Spaghetti Western fan and I really enjoyed the shoot out in "The Great Silence". It was just so...cool. The main character uses a Mauser Broom-handle C96 instead of your typical six shooter but still manages to draw his weapon from the stock/holster faster than the men with their SAAs. If you want to see a crazy Spaghetti Western check out a film called "Keoma", some really good shootouts in that one; it is a real man's man film. Another Spaghetti Film that would not be hard to find that has several good shootouts would be "Django". In the film Django drags around a coffin with a Gatling gun inside; very cool. Of course we have Sergio Leone's Spaghetti westerns, but I don't think I need to mention them; because who has not seen The Dollars Trilogy or Once Upon A Time In The West?

I would like to also mention "Red Dead Redemption", yes it is a video game, but the story is every bit as good as some of the most famous Westerns.

On a side not, I believe the film "Reservoir Dogs" had the most realistic shootout I have ever seen. I know it is not a western per say, but it traces its roots back to Old West films and Tarantino is a huge Spaghetti Western fan too. This movie literally had me on edge after watching it. Something very few films have made me do. It just seemed so real that it was scary; but of course I know people who say it sucks, so each to their own.

I could go on and on, so I think its best I stop before I get too riled up.
Old July 11, 2012, 02:10 PM   #60
Hellgate

Well, Mr Bird. I wouldn't want to get you all riled up so I'm gonna check out "Reservoir dogs" from the library just to see if you know whatcher talking about. Sounds like a good shootout. I'll have tranquilizers at the ready.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 11, 2012, 02:34 PM   #61
JDBoardman

I agree that "the Magnificent Seven" is a great shootout. Still, I kinda enjoy "the Quick and the Dead" with Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone
Old July 11, 2012, 02:44 PM   #62
freebird72

To HellGate. You may not enjoy it lol, but the reason I believe it seemed so real is because you see lots of bullets a flying and its really loud, but not many people are hit. It is over just as fast as it started and it seemed so violent. If you don't like the shooting you will like the story. Very good movie, in my top 5. And I consider myself a movie buff.
Old July 11, 2012, 05:31 PM   #63
indy1919

FREEBIRD Mucho thanks for the DJango heads up.. Never heard of that movie before, I will have to watch for that movie

Saw the preview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ge2hmSTbo

All I can say is that Django is one Big He-man.. Not like those girly-men like Bronson, and Marvin..
Old July 11, 2012, 06:05 PM   #64
freebird72

Indy if you like Django check out Keoma. Some real crazy shootouts in that one. It also has some really cool guns. Makes you want to grow a beard as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRv-Y...eature=related
Old July 11, 2012, 06:51 PM   #65
indy1919

Another thanks Freebird.. Now I have to say I like the "Django" trailer more...
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT you won my heart with a Bow Shooting Woody Strode..
Old July 11, 2012, 07:20 PM   #66
NWPilgrim

Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall in Open Range. Almost any Clint Eastwood. John Wayne in True Grit, Cowboys, Stage Coach, The Shootist among others.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:05 PM   #67
RJay

Once upon a time in the West. Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:25 PM   #68
thickice

Don't forget "The Good, The Bad, and The Weird".
Old July 12, 2012, 06:36 AM   #69
Mike Irwin
Staff

John Wayne is shot and killed (shot in the back) at the end of The Shootist by a bartender with a double barrel shotgun.

Ron Howard picks up Wayne's Colt and kills the bartender.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 12, 2012, 08:47 AM   #70
indy1919

Mike You are right, Not only does the shootist have a d**m Fine shoot out in the end, but it is a d**m fine movie.. Great acting by Richard Boone. The beginning with the old duke flashbacks to his younger years is Magical....
Old July 12, 2012, 09:21 AM   #71
OutlawJoseyWales

The Shootist is one of the rare great cowboy movies since the hippy culture destroyed...well just about everything, in particular westerns.

Just a great movie on a number of levels, I personally like the quote:
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

I think that most of us live our lives with this in mind.
OJW
Old July 12, 2012, 09:35 AM   #72
Single Six

The bar shootout in "Unforgiven", closely followed by the O.K. Corral in "Tombstone". Hey, a question here: When you guys mention "3:10 To Yuma", are you talking about the original, or the remake?
Old July 12, 2012, 02:59 PM   #73
freebird72

I love the guns in 3:10 To Yuma remake, but the original movie is much better in my opinion.
Old July 12, 2012, 03:15 PM   #74
rclark

Well, I like the shootout in "Hot Lead Cold Feet" . Walking into the saloon with the Gatling gun .... Well.... Good fun . "Sable River" with Tom Selleck was a bit more serious which I enjoyed....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 12, 2012, 04:31 PM   #75
RJay

the original 3:10 to Yuma is a much better movie, and don't forget " Last train to Gun Hill"with Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn, hit movie in 1959

Last edited by RJay; July 12, 2012 at 04:50 PM.