The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2013, 04:49 AM   #1
rebs

case trimmers ?

Does anyone have the worlds finest trimmer or the possom hollow case trimmer ?
Could you tell me the pro's and con's of each one ?
Old September 2, 2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Jimro

Rebs, haven't we talked about his before? http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...hollow+trimmer

Pros, it is fast, and accurate enough to feed an AR-15 service rifle. Makes ammot that holds just over MOA with iron sights and me behind the trigger.

Cons, you still have to deburr the mouth as a seperate step.

Now the overal case length will vary a bit, because it works from the shoulder, not from the base. I think this gives you a more uniform neck tension as the necks are the same length, at least in a perfect world. Feeding an AR-15 or any other semi-auto isn't going to care one whit for difference in neck tension without a crimp.

I wouldn't bother for a hunting rifle that only gets shot a few hundred times a year between load workups, practice, and hunting season. For volume, I'll never go back.

Jimro
Old September 2, 2013, 07:15 AM   #3
rebs

jimro, yes we did but there was no decisive pick as to which one was working better or by how much. I figured by now a few more people have bought them and would be able to give a complete review. I am guessing I was wrong. I just have a hard time paying double the price for the worlds finest over the possom hollow if there is not a clear cut difference between the two.
Old September 2, 2013, 10:16 AM   #4
boondocker385

Do you want one because you want a fast system?

I reload for bolt action (30-06 and 243). I use the cheap Lee trimmer for each caliber. Works great for 100+/- rounds per month.

Last edited by boondocker385; September 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old September 2, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
NWPilgrim

case trimmers ?

I only have the Possum Hollow but I believe the difference is that the WFT deburrs and chamfers while it trims, and it has a bearing collars. In the PH trimmer the case shoulder slides against the trimmer shoulder rather than ride on bearings as it spins.

For volume I would get the WFT, otherwise every case has be run through three steps instead of one. But for lower volume and greater variety of cartridges I would use the PH or my Sinclair/Wilson lathe style trimmer.
Old September 2, 2013, 02:38 PM   #6
M1ke10191

The WFT chamfers but does not deburr IIRC.
Old September 2, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7
the led farmer

case trimmers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1ke10191 View Post
The WFT chamfers but does not deburr IIRC.
It actually deburrs but does not chamfer.

I have no experience with the possum hollow trimmer but the WFT is money well spent. Trimming brass blows, the WFT makes it blow a lot less.
Old September 2, 2013, 09:43 PM   #8
NWPilgrim

case trimmers ?

Well that would make me think twice about the expense of WFT if it does not chamfer while trimming. Possum Hollow does a fine job for volume trimming, and indexing off the shoulder since I full length resize for semi-auto.

I might get a WFT for .223 just to see what is like. The curious bug costs me a lot over the years! But I at least have fun and learn something here and there.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old September 7, 2013, 02:01 PM   #9
rebs

I made a few phone calls to Possum Hollow and got no answer, left a message and got no response. Tried to email using the email link on their web site and it won't send email, it says check syntax or something like that, but it won't send the email. Does anyone know if they are still in business or closed up ?
Old September 7, 2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Anchorblew

I bought my Possum Hollow Kwick Case Trimmer from the first company on their distributors list. The Cleaning and Reloading Store. Which happens to actually just be Possum Hollow themselves. I ordered it around March this year and it came about 2 weeks later.

Seeing as I have only Kwick Case Trimmer and no other Trimming tool I can't give much comparison advice. However, I have used a Giraud Trimmer and that thing is amazing. But if the $440 for it is a bit too much, then the Possum Hollow product is a great alternative. You will still have to deburr and chamber the casings with the KCT (Kwick Case Trimmer).

One nice feature for those with multiple calibers in a semi-auto platform is that the drill motor adapter is a one time buy. All of the case specific trimmers sold by Possum Hollow will fit in the one adapter.
Old September 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #11
rebs

I still can't get an answer from from possum hollow on their phone or emails I sent. Does anyone know if they are still in business ?
Old September 14, 2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Marco Califo

L. E. Wilson

I have used Lyman's, but am really impressed withe the L.E. Wilson trimmer. It works differently and is a mini lathe type tool. Very well made, looks like stainless steel and with their base and lock arm options is secure accurate and repeatable. Excellent workmanship like it was made by Redding.