The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1
kmaldona

Help finding equipment (New reloader)

I just got hired as a police officer and I am 23 years old. I been shooting a lot and I am wanting to shoot a lot more. I shoot about 1-2000 9mm rounds a month. I am counting rounds with friends and my dad.

I was wondering if anyone is willing to sell their old equipment or show me links to the equipment I will need.

Keeping in mind I only shoot 9mm and 1k-2k rounds a month. I have read the sticky but more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old November 4, 2011, 01:47 AM   #2
dmazur

Welcome to TFL! (I believe this is one of the best forums for reloading information...I've learned quite a bit here.)

There is no universal answer to the question, "What reloading equipment should I buy?" To make matters worse, it evokes strong feelings similar to Ford vs. Chevy pickups and, before you know it, you are in the middle of a Blue vs. Red color war.

Nevertheless, if you are mechanically inclined and can follow written instructions precisely, you might be OK starting with a progressive press, such as the Dillon 550B -

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...atid/1/RL_550B

If you weren't reloading 1-2K rounds/month, I'd follow convention and suggest you start with a single stage press. But, at those volumes, you'll quickly wear yourself out with a single stage. And you aren't talking about reloading rifle cartridges, so the argument that goes, "You'll always find a use for a single stage later" may not apply.

You'll notice Dillon gear isn't exactly inexpensive. Their stuff is built like a tank, holds its value forever, and is supported by a lifetime warranty.

Now it's time for 1) someone from the Red camp to disagree with this, and say that a LNL AP is a better value, safer because it auto-indexes, etc. or 2) someone who believes it is impossible to learn to load on a progressive to tell you that you'll kill yourself...
Old November 4, 2011, 01:53 AM   #3
farmerboy

Dmazur, did i read correctly? A blue vs red war. Please don't forget the Green!!!
Old November 4, 2011, 02:23 AM   #4
mrawesome22

Please do not get an itchy trigger finger.

Remember that 99.9999999% of people you pull over are hard working Americans on your side.

This is not the movies where everyone is out to get you so you kill them all....
Old November 4, 2011, 02:29 AM   #5
farmerboy

Probably closer to around 80 percent is more like it
Old November 4, 2011, 02:48 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazur
If you weren't reloading 1-2K rounds/month, I'd follow convention and suggest you start with a single stage press. But, at those volumes, you'll quickly wear yourself out with a single stage. And you aren't talking about reloading rifle cartridges, so the argument that goes, "You'll always find a use for a single stage later" may not apply.

You'll notice Dillon gear isn't exactly inexpensive. Their stuff is built like a tank, holds its value forever, and is supported by a lifetime warranty.

Now it's time for 1) someone from the Red camp to disagree with this,
Ohhh, I'm a Red camp scoutmaster, to be sure, but if the OP is really going to reload 1000+ rounds a month, I'd say graduate right into the blue boys (Dillon) from the start. Split the cost with friends and dad.

Have fun. Be careful. Ask lots of questions. (Don't load for others, make them do it themselves)

(Maybe spend a month or two on the job and see how much time you actually have to shoot...)
Old November 4, 2011, 03:28 AM   #7
kmaldona

Thanks for all the advice. I am looking to get some books. I might not need that fancy of a press right now because I do have a lot of spare time that I can spend reloading.

Also if you guys have some advice on deals on the other tools needed that would be great. Thanks
Old November 4, 2011, 03:32 AM   #8
farmerboy

RCBS Rockchucker kit is all you need. A single stage and a great kit
Old November 4, 2011, 03:40 AM   #9
kmaldona

How much money can you look to save if you cast your own bullets
Old November 4, 2011, 05:07 AM   #10
kmaldona

So I am looking at $525 shipped for the RL 500b with the Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies (Three-Die Sets) for $63 and Dillon 1 Large pick up tube for $8.

I will look on ebay for the following items.

calipers
basic handloading 48th edition
scale
tumbler
primer flip tray
powder
primers
bullets (or cast my own?)

Anything else?
Old November 4, 2011, 05:14 AM   #11
Shootest

You can save a lot of $ casting your own. Reloading and casting are two different animals. I suggest you learn reloading first, then start casting. Do you shoot a Glock? Glock warns against shooting cast bullets in there guns. It cost me less than $0.03/bullet to cast 9mm and .38 calibers.
Old November 4, 2011, 05:26 AM   #12
kmaldona

My personal protection gun is a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 and my duty weapon is a Sig Sauer P250.

You guys are really helpful.

I watched a couple videos on casting and it did not look too hard. Might look into it soon.

Where do you guys buy your primers, powder, and bullets from? I will get casings from the PD range
Old November 4, 2011, 05:28 AM   #13
Dr. Strangelove

Be sure if you use an issued weapon that they allow hand-loads/cast bullets, you may want to check.
Old November 4, 2011, 05:30 AM   #14
Shootest

Calipers - Any will work
basic handloading 48th edition - Recommend Lyman 49th Edition
scale - Recommend Dillon’s $55 beam scale
tumbler - Recommend holding off till your casings get real dirty, Don't forget media.
primer flip tray - Any will work
powder - Recommend Bullseye or W 231/HP 38
primers - Recommend any small pistol
bullets (or cast my own?) - Recommend shopping around for low price on plated

Anything else? Not that I can think of.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:00 AM   #15
kmaldona

I am using a calculator to figure out cost per round and its still 20 cents per round or 10 for 50 rounds.

here is the prices I have found.

Powder 8lbs for 135
Primers 5000 for 162
Bullets 1000 for 164

I wont be saving much money at those prices

EDIT: Must have saw the wrong ammo. Are these ok?
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14..._115gr_RN.aspx

Last edited by kmaldona; November 4, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old November 4, 2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Kevin Rohrer

Some Eclectic Advice

Your prices are way high. If you shop around and goto gunshows, you can find prices way better than that.

I know I can load a box of 100 .45ACP for $10.80. You should be able to do better than that.

What I can get components for:
8lbs Unique $101 (includes tax)
5k SP primers $137 (includes tax)
1000 lead 9mm bullets $45 (or less)

Cost for 100-rounds: $8.14

Here is a utility to estimate cost:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

As far as what equipment to buy, I always advise newbies to start out on a single-stage press or a non-progressive turret for the first year or so, until you definitely know what you are doing.

However, considering how much you shoot (and I hope you have been saving your brass), I'd take a hard look at either the Ponsness-Warren P200 or their Metallic II press. Do a search for them online.

After a couple years of experience, get yourself either a Dillon 550B or Hornady LNL.

Oh, and I've been in your line of work for 38-years. If your department allows it and you can afford it, get yourself a .45ACP auto (in a 1911 or SIG). The 9mm is for women and Europeans. If you want more details on anything above, PM me.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 4, 2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
RCBS Rockchucker kit is all you need. A single stage and a great kit
OP stated "shooting 1-2000 rounds per month"
Why would one want to suggest a single stage press for 250-500 rounds per week of reloading having to switch dies out.
IMO a turret or progressive. For the amount of rounds needed to reload Dillon would be my choice.
I use Lee equipment and shooting lead it cost me .10 per round $100 per 1K
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:30 AM   #18
kmaldona

Are these any good or are they junk primers?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/510...0-trays-of-100
Old November 4, 2011, 08:01 AM   #19
Don P

Quote:
Are these any good or are they junk primers?
I haven't seen any negatives yet. Check these folks out,
www.recobstargetshop.com
www.powdervalleyinc.com

Gaffs just had a deal for 32 lbs. powder and free hazmat and you could include another 16 lbs. in the order
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Shootest

Check these out.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/16563
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5507
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5375
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/3018
S&H is only $4.95 for entire order, plus one haz-mat charge $25.00 covers powder and primers shipped together.

FORGOT to add you can even buy the press and it is on sale.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/3032

Last edited by Shootest; November 4, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:12 AM   #21
kmaldona

Thanks shootest. Looks like some good deals
Old November 4, 2011, 08:15 AM   #22
kmaldona

These are the cheapest bullets I have found so far.

http://www.missouribullet.com/detail...ry=8&keywords=
Old November 4, 2011, 11:14 AM   #23
dmazur

Nothing wrong with starting with a single stage press. I think typical production rates are around 50 rds/hr, compared to around 300 rds/hr with a simple progressive.

So, you're going to invest 20-40 hrs/month vs. 4-8 hrs/month, to match your 1-2K consumption rate.

Ah, it must be nice to be young. I don't have 40 hrs/month of free time...
Old November 4, 2011, 01:21 PM   #24
farmerboy

I see this new hobby as something that may last or he may give up shortly. He can still produce that kind of volume I'n the evenings and who knows he may stop next week. Yea if it was what i was gonna continue I'd go progressive also but just starting out I'd say learn to walk before running. By progressive and if it doesn't work out sell it. I load on a single stage shoot often enough and could start shooting today and end probably by a coupons of weeks. Just be consistent with real training, not just shooting and replenishing also.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:33 AM   #25
kmaldona

I am going with a 550 because of my consumption and the fact I will be shooting for the rest of my life. I am just now placing my first order of components from Powder Valley.

Its weird they dont show you shipping cost until after you give them cc info.