The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 13, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1
THEZACHARIAS

Recruiter CCW

I was reading another thread and it got me thinking. To avoid confusion, this is not in any way refering to carrying weapons (concealed or not) on-base.

Since recruiters typically work in off-base offices, are they allowed to carry concealed weapons (if they have the requisite license) in uniform?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the UCMJ against it, so any restrictions would have to come from the recruiters chain of command. Anyone know for sure?
Old May 14, 2009, 05:41 AM   #2
blume357

I don't have a clue...but would venture a guess of

Absolutely No.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:53 AM   #3
BlindMansBluff

Why would a uniformed soldier of the united states in an office want to CCW? why wouldn't a open carry be appropriate?

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 14, 2009, 09:55 AM   #4
vranasaurus

Army Regulation 190-14 pragraph 2-6 b. states:

Only Government-owned, and Government-issued weapons and ammunition are authorized to be carried by DA personnel while performing official duties. The Secretary of the Army may authorize an exception to this requirement for Army investigative organizations.

Carrying a personally owned firearm in violation of this regulation would be a violation of Article 92 of the UCMJ.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5
BlindMansBluff

so I am to assume this office job isn't normally considered a job to where they feel an assigned gun is needed. therefore he doesn't get a assigned weapon yet he can't carry his own in.

can he request from his commanding officer for a weapon to be assigned to him? or due to the type of job will it not happen?

why does the recuiiter feel he needs a gun in this setting?

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 14, 2009, 12:54 PM   #6
CowTowner

If the military hasn't changed much since I was in back in the 70's, then the recruiter has a weapon assigned to him/her already.
The question is whether or not he/she is authorized to carry that weapon as part of his currently assigned duty uniform.
As an example, a Military Police Officer carriers a weapon while on duty. It's part of his/her uniform of the day while on duty.

I don't believe a recruiter requires a weapon to perform his/her duty. Should that change, the weapon would be drawn from the armory where it is stored prior to starting the work day and returned to the same armory after the work day is over.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 14, 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
maestro pistolero

Quote:
why does the recuiiter feel he needs a gun in this setting?
Let me try to answer:
Because of the small percentage of the population that is inherently evil that exists everywhere, even in Army/Navy/AirForce/Marine recruiting offices, as well as on the recruiter's drive to and from work.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:25 PM   #8
vranasaurus

Quote:
If the military hasn't changed much since I was in back in the 70's, then the recruiter has a weapon assigned to him/her already.
In the Army I do not believe recruiting organizations are authorized weapons on their TDA.

If they did the local recruiting stations do not have the facilities to properly store weapons IAW physical security standards.

The Army is not going to start issuing weapons to recruiters for carry while on duty. In the eyes of the Army it isn't necessary and by issuing those weapons the Army would be buying a great deal of liability.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Deerhunter

I got out back in 2005 rules haven't changed. The recruiting station has no place to secure the weapons and Uncle Sam isn't going to let you take it home with you. Even if the office had a place to secure it, you would have to leave it in the office at night. My unit had to go though a lot of crap for us (Active duty Army) to be able to carry pistols off post while on official duty in the States. The MPs couldn't take their pistols off the base either. We had to go through a lot of training and the unit had to get all kind of paperwork approved for us carrying Army weapons off post. We could NOT at all even think about carrying a personal weapon while on duty. Not going to happen.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:24 PM   #10
THEZACHARIAS

I was pretty sure they wouldnt be issued a sidearm given the lack of secure facilities.

I was just thinking how some of the recruiting stations ive seen have been in some rough areas and I wouldnt blame a recruiter for persuing authorization to carry a personal concealed weapon while on duty at an off-base location. Seems like there are waivers for just about anything in the military (whether your commander signs off on it being a different matter entirely...).

Short story, this was whole thought process was a combination of watching too much NCIS and reading that thread about CCW on a military base.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:07 AM   #11
blume357

Speaking of NCIS...

anybody notice how they always keep their carry weapon in the top right unlocked drawer of their desk when in the office? seems kind of stupid to me.

but it is just TV
Old May 15, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
NavyLT

Quote:
Army Regulation 190-14 pragraph 2-6 b. states:

Only Government-owned, and Government-issued weapons and ammunition are authorized to be carried by DA personnel while performing official duties. The Secretary of the Army may authorize an exception to this requirement for Army investigative organizations.

Carrying a personally owned firearm in violation of this regulation would be a violation of Article 92 of the UCMJ.
The Navy has a similar general regulation. No carry for us in uniform either, although I think we should be able to.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:50 AM   #13
vranasaurus

Quote:
The Navy has a similar general regulation. No carry for us in uniform either, although I think we should be able to.
I assumed they did but wasn't sure. I assume the Air Force has a similar regulation.

The military is very particular when it comes to arms and ammunition.

Last edited by vranasaurus; May 15, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:43 PM   #14
dabsond

Air Force Instruction 31-207 states the same thing. No personal weapons.

http://www.dabson.us/milsurp