The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Hornady Lock 'N' Load common issues...still need help.

I just started to use my Hornady Lock 'N' Load for .40SW. At first, all was going well.

1. Then as time goes on, the loaded round would bind between the ejector wire and shellholder putting a monkey wrench in the entire process.

If I bend the wire to engage the case and move it out of its position sooner or later, it wants to jam up. What's the best course of action?

2. During the priming process, it appears to make the whole assembly to "shift" slightly counterclockwise. Is this normal? I've had a case or two to fight a full seating of primers. I keep thinking its not being allowed to press the primer in squarely, therefore binding up. The CCW movement is very slight and happens even when it's the only shell in the process.

I know the easiest answers are to chuck the wire and prime the cases individually. However, I think it's a waste of time if I can't get the full benefits of buying a progressive and toss out what doesn't work at the moment.

I've seen the conversations dealing with the ejector wire, but not detailed directions on the actual wire bending, only to "bend the wire".

I don't think the pawls have much to do with these issues. IIRC, the pawls only time the turret movement, nothing else.

Where am I going wrong and is there links out there that provide good details, not vague answers?

Bummed and Beleaguered in Blue Grass....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 26, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
20nickels

Take the ejector wire and open the loop up on the end of it until it. Alson polishing helps.
I've never encountered the shifting problem your talking about. Is the press mounted securely? Mine is using the largest bolts it could take on a 4" thick beam fastened to the wall. Good luck.
Old April 26, 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
DEDON45

I've found that with some calibers (don't know about the .40S&W) like .44 Magnum, finished round ejection works more reliable when I let the press downstroke quickly ... going slow sometimes results in a minor binding at the ejector wire... My .45ACP dies and shellplate don't exhibit this minor issue. I just work a little more forcefully with the .44Mag setup.

Not sure (as the other poster mentions) about your priming problem... sounds like you're saying the shell plate is moving... the manual mentions that there's a symptom of misadjustment on the pawls that results in slight shellplate movement. The only issue I've had with priming involves WLP primers and some types of .45ACP brass... the stacking of tolerances make insertion of these primers into certain cases somewhat difficult, but only rarely. Magtech LP don't exhibit this issue. When I feel a WLP getting "tight", I just reach in and wiggle the case, and it slides in. I don't buy WLP primers, but I'm using some up a friend gave me to load some LRN for him.

Have you tried calling Hornady? I've been told they can be helpful with most issues. I almost called 'em about my .44Mag issue, until I figured out I couldn't be gentle with it!
Old April 26, 2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Take the ejector wire and open the loop up on the end of it until it. Alson polishing helps.
Nickels, can you complete your statement? I want to make sure I'm understanding what you're trying to say before I do somethin' stupid.

Quote:
I've never encountered the shifting problem your talking about. Is the press mounted securely? Mine is using the largest bolts it could take on a 4" thick beam fastened to the wall. Good luck.
It's mounted very securely. It doesn't budge. The shellplate/primer assembly appears to shift a bit when priming the case with some coercion.

Quote:
I've found that with some calibers (don't know about the .40S&W) like .44 Magnum, finished round ejection works more reliable when I let the press downstroke quickly ... going slow sometimes results in a minor binding at the ejector wire... My .45ACP dies and shellplate don't exhibit this minor issue. I just work a little more forcefully with the .44Mag setup.
I tried to downstroke quicker and ended up with powder all over the place from the case 2 stations back. It caught for an instant and let go suddenly jostling the shellplate.

Quote:
The only issue I've had with priming involves WLP primers and some types of .45ACP brass... the stacking of tolerances make insertion of these primers into certain cases somewhat difficult, but only rarely.
I think you may be on to something, Dedon. I'm using Winchester primers (WSP), which is essentially the same thing only small primers. I'm going to try the CCI primers I bought a while back. I should have stuck to the ones that work for me....Remington. But, I'm playing with my loads and wanted to try different primers...

Quote:
Have you tried calling Hornady? I've been told they can be helpful with most issues. I almost called 'em about my .44Mag issue, until I figured out I couldn't be gentle with it!
No. It was yesterday evening when the issues were apparent. That's when I jumped online here and started to pick peoples' brains. I honestly don't want to get physical with the press. I'd rather just remove the wire if I can't resolve the ejection process. If it won't let me operate with finesse, I'll do without the wire...

Other than these minor issues, I really am liking the new press. I'm not much faster making rounds than my RockChucker. But, I'm deliberately going slow until I know what I'm doin'.

Old April 26, 2008, 10:02 PM   #5
DEDON45

Sounds like you do need to look at the pawl adjustment... check the manual for info on that... that shellplate should not be moving cw or ccw while you're seating the primer. Just went and got my manual (my press came without a case feeder... the case feeder manual is a bit different --- if that's what you got, download the other manual from hornady.com) -- at the top of page 6 it mentions a "double-click" symptom of mis-timed pawls. On page 17 of the same manual it explains how to make adjustments.
Old April 26, 2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Shane Tuttle
Staff

From what I understand, the only thing the pawls to is assure proper indexing of the shellplate's ball into the provided holes of the ram.

I have no problem with this. No double click or anything. The unit only slightly moves ccw when I'm priming a case with a bit of authority. It just feels unnecessary to provide that much force to properly seat a primer. If I don't give it a good push, the primer drags causing the system to bind a bit.

I think the crux of the problem is the primers....

Old April 26, 2008, 11:32 PM   #7
20nickels

Sorry, my 4 mth old woke up cranky while I was posting.

Take the end loop of the wire, the part that meets the center shell plate bolt, and open it up for smaller calibers. It just works better when the loaded brass doesn't meet such a hard angle. For example the stock wire works fine for .45 but for .38's it needs adjustment. I contacted Hornaday about the issues and they gave me a few wires to work with. For .38's I opened the loop parallel to the main body of the wire and it worked well enough that I left it there. Also, I had a friend put it to a buffing wheel for good measure.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:06 AM   #8
DEDON45

Yeah, try some different primers.
Old April 27, 2008, 01:48 PM   #9
DIXIEDOG

Quote:
I just started to use my Hornady Lock 'N' Load for .40SW. At first, all was going well.

1. Then as time goes on, the loaded round would bind between the ejector wire and shellholder putting a monkey wrench in the entire process.
If you raise your ram there is a screw that holds the ejector wire. Loosen this screw and move your ejector wire in or out in small increments until your binding problem is resolved. There shouldn't be a need to bend your wire if you use this method.

Quote:
2. During the priming process, it appears to make the whole assembly to "shift" slightly counterclockwise. Is this normal? I've had a case or two to fight a full seating of primers. I keep thinking its not being allowed to press the primer in squarely, therefore binding up. The CCW movement is very slight and happens even when it's the only shell in the process.
As stated above this is caused by the Pawl adjustment. You will only get the clicking if you are way out of adjustment, slightly out and you will get the slight movement you are describing. Adjust you pawl in very small increments as the sweet spot isn't that large. If you struggle call Hornady and they will walk you through it.
Old April 27, 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
BigJakeJ1s

If the whole assembly (i.e. the primer shuttle, sub-plate, etc.) is rotating, it is likely not related to the timing of the pawls, since they only affect the advancement of the shell plate relative to the sub-plate, etc.

When you push back on the handle to prime, look down at the toggle and lower ram. Are they rotating too, relative to the press frame? If so, I'd look for a loose/worn pin, link arm, toggle, or something like that. If not, I'd double check that the screws holding the sub-plate assembly to the top of the ram are tight. Otherwise, call Hornady.

Andy
Old April 27, 2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Sorry, my 4 mth old woke up cranky while I was posting.
No problem, nickels. I just wanted clarification and thought you probably typed like I sometimes do; brain travels faster than the digits...

Quote:
If you raise your ram there is a screw that holds the ejector wire. Loosen this screw and move your ejector wire in or out in small increments until your binding problem is resolved. There shouldn't be a need to bend your wire if you use this method.

I thought about doing this when I gave up for the time being, but didn't feel like doing anything with it until I got some rounds made. I think I'm going to take your advice and try it out now that I have a small stash of ammo done.

If the whole assembly (i.e. the primer shuttle, sub-plate, etc.) is rotating, it is likely not related to the timing of the pawls, since they only affect the advancement of the shell plate relative to the sub-plate, etc.

Yes, it's the whole assembly. I think it's "the nature of the beast". I can wiggle the entire ram/plate, etc. The origin of the play is coming from the upper and lower pins. This is a brand new unit. It shifts only when I apply moderately heavy pressure to seat primers. Even then, it's slight. Maybe 1/8" or so It doesn't bind or anything. But, the movement made me think it wasn't normal.

Quote:
If not, I'd double check that the screws holding the sub-plate assembly to the top of the ram are tight.
Just checked those and they're ship-shape.

Quote:
Otherwise, call Hornady.
If Dixiedog's idead with the ejector wire doesn't solve the issue, I'm calling them Monday. Maybe they can provide a spare wire to customize when I change from .45 to 9mm.

Thanks for y'all's help, folks.

If anybody else has other ideas, by all means post away.

Old April 27, 2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Dixiedog,
I moved out the ejector wire ever so slightly and it did the trick! Now, they fall right out into the bin smoother than a baby's behind. I went ahead and polished the wire contact surface before putting it back on for good measure.

All is in working order and I'm happy as a clam. Funny how something so simple can put a monkey wrench on the whole process...

Thanks again, fellas...

Old May 4, 2008, 05:09 PM   #13
mrwilson

I had a similar problem. But it manifested itself in the resizing die. Frequently cases would hit the edge of the die and not go in. I finally figured out that I was doing it. I sit to the left of my press and I had inadvertantly been pulling the handle to the left. This shifted the shell plate slightly causing the problem. If I pull straight down it works every time. Now I try push out on the handle to keep from pulling it.