The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2013, 01:51 PM   #1
oley55

over swaging primer pockets?

bought a new Dillon 600 super swage and couldn't help myself and started swaging away without (as per their directions) adjusting the swage until just enough to feed a new primer.

end result I have 150 once fired 556 cases which I believe I have over swaged. Primers are going in so easy that I think they must be hanging up, when in fact they have already fully seated. No feel what so ever in the press handle.

My Lyman reloading manual says to toss cases in which the primer seats too easily. Which I am going to do, unless some wise ole Reloader suggests otherwise. I don't think it wise to load them and then test fire to see if I can ruin my rifle bolt.

Will test firing some cases with "primer only" tell me anything useful?
Old September 19, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2
MJFlores

I believe, by the sounds of it, that you should scrap those cases. I adjuts mine so it barely does anything at all...just so a primer will seat with normal tension.
Old September 19, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
oley55

thanks

yea I have since adjusted the swager correctly and now only one if five cases require minimal lever pressure. For most of them, I wonder if they needed swaging at all. Which of course makes sense because when de-priming probably only one in five required much effort to de-prime.

I was just behaving like a damn kid with a new toy, I guess
Old September 19, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
precision_shooter

So, do you deprime the cases before you scrap them? If so, how do you safely do that?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 19, 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
F. Guffey

if the swage expanded the primer pocket at the same time I would say the large primer pockets are the results of over expanding, the swage is fixed.

"Will test firing some cases with "primer only" tell me anything useful?"

No, someone will come along and explain 'shortly'? If not I will, later.

F. Guffey
Old September 19, 2013, 06:42 PM   #6
oley55

ref: So, do you deprime the cases before you scrap them? If so, how do you safely do that?

not entirely sure what the question is. but I offer:

it is pretty hard to swage a primer pocket with an old primer in there, so no "spent" primers to safely worry about

also I used spent primers to see if I had over swaged. when I found them to be too loose I tried a single new primer. It too slid in without any resistance or tension and was easily pushed back out with the depriming die. probably could have pushed it back out with a blast of air but then who wants a live primer whizzing around the shop? or I could/should have blank fired it in a weapon but as loose as it was it may have fallen out and gotten lost...
Old September 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #7
jepp2

Swaging increases the depth and entrance radius of the primer pocket.

Easy priming is a result of increased diameter of the primer pocket.

So you can't makes primers too easy to seat due to swaging.

You are mixing two different concepts.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Roughedge

If they dont fall out when you turn them over you can use this and be fine http://www.midwayusa.com/product/954...-1-2-oz-liquid but you need to keep them from getting mixed with your good brass.