The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
taintedplay

shotgun shell reloading

Ok so a range i go to shoot at has a few skeet launchers, and they never clean the shells. i asked them and they said they were all mine if i wanted to haul them off. Their is at the minimum a few thousand. This is in Texas by the way. What kind of average price do people pay for shotgun hulls? and when they buy hulls do they buy them with the plastic tubing still on it (or did the collector remove it)

Thanks so much in advance.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:21 AM   #2
elmata

I would say take them to a local gun shop and see if they will buy them from you. I bought some high wall once fired hulls last year in a bag of 200 for $15 at a local gun shop so I doubt you will get rich off it. If by plastic tubing you mean the casing it should be attached to the brass head don't remove it or else you wont have a shell to sell.
Old November 15, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3
RedBowTies88

If this was at a trap/skeet range i'de be willing to bet 95% of the shells are low brass walmart specials. its not worth the time or the effort to reload them at $5 a box of 25.

Now if you find some decent high brass thats another story
Old November 15, 2011, 11:24 AM   #4
BigJimP

All shotgun hulls are not created equal ...90% of the guys that I know that reload 12ga - reload Remington STS or Nitro hulls ...and some reload Remington Gun club hulls ....the rest of them ( for the most part ) are garbage.

If you have certified once fired / clean and dry - ideally never hitting the ground ...they're worth about $5 per 100 ...but if they're burnt and nasty they are not once fired ..they're junk.

Hulls last a long time - maybe 20+ reloads to an STS hull ...so most of us don't buy many hulls. When we run out / most of us buy a few once fired if they're clean or we just buy new flats of shells ...shoot em and reload em.

If there is any value - you'd have to at least sort them by mfg ...and then by type within the mfg...because not all Winchester hulls, as an example, are the same...and sort by gague of course.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
taintedplay

most the brass has been out there a while and i'm sure it is the cheap stuff mostly. I am my fraternity's fundraising chair and we have pledges i can get to go pick up and sort all the hulls. i know it wont be too much money but if i could get a couple hundred bucks it would be worth it. With probabbly 3000 (honestly just spitballing but your walking on a bed of shells) do you think i could get atleast a hundred bucks?
Old November 15, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
BigJimP

No, I think its just junk...

but you might offer to send some pledges out there to clean up the range ...and ask for $ 100 donation...or a free range demo day for your fraternity brothers...