The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 17, 2009, 09:17 AM   #76
Webleymkv

Quote:
Yeah, I mean... if the government dares teach reality-based biology and sex-ed, as crazy as it is to teach scientific facts, they had damned well better teach gun stuffs!

I'm all for firearm classes in schools, because it certainly fits in with my position of firearm licencing being roughly equivalent to drivers licences. Sounds fine to me... but do people here reject basic science that includes the fact of evolution? Really?
When in my post did I ever reject science? My point is that if schools can teach things like evolution and sex-ed that many people find objectionable, why should firearms safety be some sort of special taboo? What I'm getting at is that there is a double standard: someone who objects to their child being taught a theory they don't believe in is some sort of reactionery zealot whose opinions should be ignored, but someone who objects to their child being taught how to safely handle a relatively common item is a prudent parent whose opinion should be taken very seriously.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:44 AM   #77
OuTcAsT

Quote:
When in my post did I ever reject science? My point is that if schools can teach things like evolution and sex-ed that many people find objectionable, why should firearms safety be some sort of special taboo? What I'm getting at is that there is a double standard: someone who objects to their child being taught a theory they don't believe in
* Sound of large can of worms being opened in background*

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old June 17, 2009, 10:40 AM   #78
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobaleJoe
... but do people here reject basic science that includes the fact of evolution? Really?
The simple answer is: Yes. There are people that reject the Origin of Species. And Yes, there are people that fume over sex education in public schools. And Yes, there are people who post here that fall into into one or both categories.

This should come as no surprise to any student of human nature.

Going any further into this area, involves belief systems and/or faith and/or religion. Those are areas that are out of bounds for discussion on TFL. They are also off topic for this thread.

Let's not go there. <-- That's not a suggestion, btw.
Old June 17, 2009, 02:53 PM   #79
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprobaleJoe
... but do people here reject basic science that includes the fact of evolution? Really?

The simple answer is: Yes. There are people that reject the Origin of Species. And Yes, there are people that fume over sex education in public schools. And Yes, there are people who post here that fall into into one or both categories.

This should come as no surprise to any student of human nature.

Going any further into this area, involves belief systems and/or faith and/or religion. Those are areas that are out of bounds for discussion on TFL. They are also off topic for this thread.

Let's not go there. <-- That's not a suggestion, btw.
Just so that there isn't any confusion, it was not and is not my intention to start a debate about evolution or sex-education. I was merely using them as examples of how the finding of a certain subject as objectionable or offensive does not make sufficient grounds for banning its teaching.
Old June 17, 2009, 04:57 PM   #80
PT111

Just remember that certain words will cause a reaction is some people just like seeing a gun will cause a reaction in some. It does not matter what context you use those words in someone will get upset and offended especially if used by certain people. For instance there is one certain word that will get many people fired for using it one time but others can use it all day and everyone witll laugh.

I am beginning tho think that shooter education is starting to fall into that category.