The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2002, 04:12 AM   #1
Duke of Lawnchair

Benelli M1S90 owners, please help!!!

Hello folks,

I have an M1S90 and have disassembled it many times before, including the bolt carrier/bolt assembly.

Tonight I disassembled the entire bolt assembly without a hitch. This includes the removal, relubrication of the thick inertia srping that resides in the bolt.

I reassembled the bolt assembly as per instructions, but this time I noticed something that I've never noticed before. I can actually hear the inertia spring rattle back & forth in the bolt body. Is this normal??!! I have NEVER noticed this sound before. The gun assembles just fine, and the action is as smooth as glass, and yes, the bolt FULLY closes.

Everything is as it should be, but I'm just a little puzzled about this inertia spring noise that I have never noticed before.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old January 5, 2002, 04:06 PM   #2
Duke of Lawnchair

Somebody? Anybody?

Jim
Old January 6, 2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Rottweiler

I just took mine apart and shook the bejesus out of it. Can't hear a thing, might be there's no noise, might be I can't hear. Wife can't hear any noise either. She can hear much better than I can.

Now I have to put the bejesus back in it.....
Old January 6, 2002, 06:25 PM   #4
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Duke,

I just check my M1. When the action is cocked, and I shake the gun, there's no noise. Pull the trigger, shake the gun, I can hear a slight rattle sound. I can't tell if it's coming from the inertia spring or something else but I'd say it's normal. The Montefeltro action is so simple it's hard to imagine it could be put together wrong. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old January 7, 2002, 12:40 AM   #5
Duke of Lawnchair

Rottweiler & Kernel,

Thanks for tearing your guys' guns down for me! I just spoke with another person with the same "rattling" sound and it seems that everything is A-OK.

The bolt assembly is so simple, I couldn't imagine how anyone could screw it up. I just noticed that sound a few days ago when cleaning the shotgun.

BTW, it only makes the sound when the bolt locked open.

Jim