The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 17, 2013, 10:23 PM   #1
SnapStick

S&W model 19-3

I have opportunity to buy Smith & Wesson 357 4 inch barrel model 19-3,left the factory in 1970, is 600 a fair price?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix224768555.jpg (28.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg pix577303573.jpg (25.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg pix354586512.jpg (31.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by SnapStick; May 18, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:53 PM   #2
shouldazagged

Condition and where it's being sold play into it. Sounds high to me unless it's a really fine example. Can you post pictures and more description? Then the experts here can help you.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3
AID_Admin

I've been hunting them recently for a while. If it's in a very good condition, yes, it's worth it... not a give away, but decent price... in good condition though! IMO.
Old May 18, 2013, 12:00 AM   #4
BumbleBug

Yes, a bit high, but it sounds like someone is trying to get an offer for $525 or $550, which would be fair in good condition.

An excellent revolver by the way!

JIMHO...

...bug
Old May 18, 2013, 02:32 AM   #5
nocturnal

I paid an identical price for a Model 19-4 a few weeks ago.

600 dollars, pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.
6 inch barrel, "football" grips (have an oval indentation on the left grip), adjustable sights, and standard trigger/hammer

It shot 1 inch groups with 158 grain handloads at 18 yards
1.5 inch groups with Walmart (Winchester White Box) 130-some grain fmj

I cannot say how pleased I was with the gun! At 18 yards, it shot 1-1.5 inch groups all day with 158 grain Berry's Plated Hollow Points with varying 5, 5.5, 6, and 7 grains of Unique.
In my personal experience, my gun shoots everything very well!
Old May 19, 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
J A

Yes

$550 would be a better price for the gun alone. But the gun looks very nice in the pictures. The 4 inch barrel would be plus for me as I prefer it over a 6 inch barrel. The target stocks are also a plus over Magnas or rubber aftermarket.
If the original box and accesories come with it that makes it a pretty good deal. This will make you a very nice shooting gun and probably increase in value over the years if you take care of it.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:19 AM   #7
Nathan

I would keep looking as approximately $600 is the price for a perfect one with box and paperwork.

I paid $500-$550(I forget exactly) to my door last fall for one with fewer nicks in the wood and less bluing wear. It was hard to be sure in those pictures, but it looked to have bluing wear at the muzzle and a few nicks in the grips. I would like the gun, but $600 would be more of a shipped, insured and after the FFL fee price IMO, with a 4 day inspection period.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

As with just about everything, price is HIGHLY dependent on where you live.

$600 may be a great price.

$600 may be a horrible price.

The true 800-pound gorilla in all of this, too, is the recent events and skyrocketing sales of all firearms.

Prices have gone absolutely haywire over the last 6 months.

Not that long ago $400 to $450 was a good price where I live, in Northern Virginia.

Now I would expect to see a Model 19 in such a condition at a gun show going for between $800 and $1,000. And there would be people paying that much.

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY, way you can figure out if that price is a good price or not is to figure out what gun prices are doing in your area.

Anyone who tells you that Yes/No on that price without having any other information is guessing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Nathan

Good point Mike. Price is all based on what someone is willing to pay. I'm not willing to pay that, but with all of the gun crazed shoppers around, I'd bet you could hang $1000 on it and somebody, somewhere would star picking $20's off a roll to you.

My earlier post was related to normal people in a normal frame of mind on a national market like Gunbroker.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:24 AM   #10
AID_Admin

While I do not mean to argue with Mike, I do feel like I need to show a little different perspective... For members like Mike and Nathan, who been around the forum for many years perhaps there are a lot of factors to effect the price when choosing a firearm. But for a newbie (like me and, I assume, OP as well) options are very limited.

I just bought a beautiful Model 66 and so it happens that for last couple of months a looked for k-frames (19 and 66) very closely. So, where can I get one? In the drivable distance from me there are four or five stores, but only one with decent selection of used guns. Well, they did not have neither model. So, the only place left is an Internet. And I found only three places, where there are a lot of firearms for sale online: Guns America - dealer based and almost always overpriced. Gun Broker - perhaps a decent place, but an auction. Arms List - classifieds where you can get a good deal on the good firearm if you deal with a decent private seller.
The prices on these sites dictate that $600 for Model 19, while on the higher end of the spectrum, not way out of line...

But if there are more good online placed to buy guns, please share, as we (newbies) definitely could use this knowledge. And thank you in advance.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Nathan

I bought mine from a member on the Smith and Wesson Forum. I have bought guns from members here also.

Also, generally I find there are different types of LGS. I group them I to 3 types:
- Big Box - Cabrla's, Gander, Dicks, etc
- Low Cost, High Volume LGS - We have a place locally called Vance's Shooter Supply. The have tons of inventory, good prices, but take a number and expect to wait! You will be happy in the end!
- Local Small LGS - these guys often have a small group of middle aged customers which are always trading old for new, new for old, collector for shooter, etc.

Of these types, I find the small local guy to be the most likely to have a decent M19 in stock. I actually passed on a 65 for $450 in a place like this....Ooops! The high volume guys just don't usually pay enough to get a guy to give up his 19-3! Big Box stores have similar issues. They want all new with select used guns & they want to move guns too quick. Time is money!
Old May 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
orionengnr

If the bluing is as good as the pics appear to show, then yes, I think you did just fine at that price.

They aren't making M19s any more, so the supply is finite...and the supply of really nice ones is small, and growing smaller every year.

Grips can be replaced, but expect to pay $100 for a really pristine, original set.
Old May 19, 2013, 01:25 PM   #13
22-rimfire

I think its a reasonable price. If you want it, I'd buy. I bought a blued 6" M19-3 in 2007 for $450 and people seemed to think I over paid. Well, it is 5 years later and I am comfortable that I bought it. The gun was NIB (with box and paperwork included) then. I think you'll be comfortable that you bought THIS revolver.
Old May 19, 2013, 03:55 PM   #14
CWKahrFan

Judging from those pics, I think $600 is high... Maybe $500 IMHO.

BTW, I recently sent mine in to S&W/Springfield MA for a couple small repairs and rebluing.. Just as a point of information, it took TEN WEEKS till I got a final written estimate and they're so backed up with rebluing that the guy on the phone says it'll probably be ANOTHER TEN WEEKS before I get it back.

It's not a big deal... I figured it'd be awhile... So... Yep, about 5 months!

Rebluing stand-alone price is $220 but with diagnosis and repair and shipping, my total bill quote was $342.

I also splurged on some faux-ivory grips from Boone Trading... Pricey but I like 'em. Here's a link to their S&W revolver page for anyone interested:

http://www.boonetrading.com/Grips-SmithWesson.html
Old May 19, 2013, 04:01 PM   #15
22-rimfire

I don't think it needs rebluing unless the pictures are deceptive. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to negotitate a slightly better price and then buy it if you want it. You won't be able to resell it anytime soon and make any money to make it worth doing from a business point of view.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:05 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"While I do not mean to argue with Mike, I do feel like I need to show a little different perspective... For members like Mike and Nathan, who been around the forum for many years perhaps there are a lot of factors to effect the price when choosing a firearm."

This has NOTHING to do with how long I've been on line at TFL.

This has EVERYTHING to do with my particular location and what guns are bringing in MY neck of the woods, which is a LOT different from what a similar gun in a similar condition is bringing where I grew up.

In this sense, gun prices are a LOT like housing prices at the moment, driven primarily by demand. Where the demand is higher, or highest (generally in the major urban areas), the prices are going to be highest.

What you see people paying on line may or may not relate to what people are paying at gunshows or gunshops in your area.

Yes, there are many factors that drive the price of guns anywhere.

The universal driver is location.

If location wasn't a factor, you'd find the same gun for the same price in Stamford, Connecticut as in Eufaula, Alabama.

Old May 19, 2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Judging from those pics, I think $600 is high... Maybe $500 IMHO."

Oh for...

Personally I think $500 is an absolutely obscene price for that gun!

I wouldn't pay more than $97.50 for it!

Oh, what's my location? 1967, obvious!

Old May 19, 2013, 10:27 PM   #18
22-rimfire

Mike, that's pretty funny. Yeah, anything over $100 is obscenely high.

One needs to remember that S&W prices have gone up and new gun prices drag the old prices along with them. Even Ruger prices have gone up and certain Ruger's aren't such a great buy anymore. But everything is "relative".

I paid $550 for a 4" M17 (as new) a year ago and they sell for more now. I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time. But I had bought another gun the same day and I think I'd paid a little too much for that one. I try not to look back or worry after I made a decision. If you want the gun, for most of us $50 isn't going to kill us especially if you think in terms of years of ownership. I guess all of us just have to feel we "stole" the gun to make us feel good about a purchase.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:30 PM   #19
AID_Admin

Mike, perhaps I did not express it correctly. What I really meant to say was "For members like Mike and Nathan, who been around REVOLVERS for many years..." Indeed if you know of gun shows, keep up with news and most importantly, know where to find all this information, there are more variables in pricing a gun.

I simply use myself as an example. I am pretty internet literate person. I wanted the same gun as OP, local stores did not have it and I could not find any gun shows around me in the near future. So, where should I go to find a gun? This particular model? On the internet the prices for Model 19 in decent condition show from about $550 to $650 right now. Some people ask more. A few that were asking less replied that their guns are already sold, even though I send them a request for information within hours after their posts appeared. Also Model 19 sells for near $600 on Gun Broker regularly.

Thus, unless my local stores have a gun I want (and the price is not outrageous) I don't know where else to turn other then Internet. Here is another example... I am looking for a Model 17 right now. One of the local stores actually has one! It shows a fair amount of use and they ask $700 for it. By the time it will be out-of-the-door it's going to be almost $800. I can buy one online any day for this price and in better condition...

So, I am not trying to be difficult, I merely trying to understand and learn. Other then gun shows where (from what I've heard) people sometimes score very good deals what other points of reference besides Internet can I use, when gun prices are discussed? Thank you.
Old May 22, 2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Nathan

Let me add some detail here. Frankly since December 2012, I don't know how to price anything. I also refuse to pay much more than the Dec 2012 price. . .So, I have passed on a lot.

I would say that IMHO, more people whom are buying RIGHT NOW should be passing. Normal prices are around, they are just quite rare. Still we should be fighting for them.

This post/question is akin to the fact I can buy nothing I want at Powder Valley right now. Locally, I can find enough to get buy until a better day. . .I'm also learning alot about greed and people/shops who can manage their greed and keep it from going overboard.

So, I'm sorry if this hurts this post, but I refuse to adjust for this current temporary market condition more than 3 - 5%.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:16 PM   #21
AID_Admin

Excuse my ignorance, but what happened in December 2012?...
Old May 23, 2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.

Old May 23, 2013, 03:08 PM   #23
AID_Admin

Oh, got it... of course.