The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 10, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1
pal

old muzzle loader

I have a muzzel loader that on the barrel has the markings L. Reinried and on the side plate Philadelphia it is a .38cal cap lock kentucy style long barrel any one know or have anything to say about these markings? Thanks Pal
Old November 10, 2012, 05:23 AM   #2
shortwave

Pal,

First off, a 'BIG' Welcome to TFL.

I cannot answer the questions about your M/L but would suggest you repost your thread in the 'Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting' forum.

Some very knowledgeable M/L folks in that forum.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:35 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

pal - welcome to the forum!

If you could post some photos of it, it would be a big help.

Perhaps also give some other general info with the photos - barrel length, you've already stated the caliber - along with any history of it that you may have or know. I've looked in what reference books I have and I can't find the name you list - doesn't mean anything though. Someone may have different books on gunmakers.

A lot of rifle makers purchased thier locks ready made as well as barrels, etc. - but some also made their own. Given the caliber, without seeing it, I would guess that it is probably not a converted flint and intended for putting meat on the table - smaller critters. You say it is "Kentucky" style but rifles were made in full stock and half-stock. Generally speaking, there were many makers who produced rifles in the 1830'2 - late 1800's for folks who needed a rifle when they picked up in the east and headed west. When we think of that, most folks thnk of the westward expansion to the plains, etc. but in the 1830's, there was a hard recession and many folks picked up and headed for such places as Michigan - my area where I live boomed at that time due to the openign of the Erie Canal and the opportunity to homestead government land. Over my years of collecting, I've seen many such rifles - most of them half stock in smaller calibers such as 36 to 45 that were passed down in families that originally came here at that time. I post these comments just as general information.

If you know anything about the history of your rifle - include it as it sometimes can lead back to the general area of origin if the maker is not listed in a reference of early gunmakers.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 10, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
North East Redneck

Can't offer any info, but, welcome to the forum. Post some pics if you can. Many people of knowledge here that will assist you.