The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
six-gun

Will A Kydex Holster Mark My XDm?

I'm comparing holsters for my XDm Compact .40. My brother loves the Galco King Tuck and it does get good reviews. My worry is will it scratch my finish? It's the standard, black finish. A Taurus i used to own wound up with scratches on it from a Blackhawk holster. An all leather IWB deep conceal would run around $100 or more though, so I'd prefer the price of the King Tuck. But if it's going to scratch the finish, I'll spend the extra money. So I'd like to hear if anybody has had issues with it scratching.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:43 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

Will A Kydex Holster Mark My XDm?

You will get holster wear from any type of holster. Scratches? You shouldn't, but the Blackhawks shouldn't have given them, either.

If your gun is a working gun then get the best holster for the job (and your budget) and let the finish wear normally. You can get it refinished later on.
Old October 23, 2013, 12:56 PM   #3
ripnbst

It will show wear over time, yes. But this is normal and a part of life. Don't fret about it. Keep the gun and holster reasonably clean and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old October 23, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

New Kydex or polymer holsters...

I agree with the other TFLers, any polymer or Kydex holster may cause slight wear over time or with excessive "holster work"(a term I heard from a Gander Mountain Academy employee).

When you first get the new Kydex holster, Id loosen up the screws then insert the firearm into it & secure it as needed.
I learned the lesson the hard way with my new Blade-tech holster for my Ruger GPNY, .
Old October 23, 2013, 09:40 PM   #5
tgreening

I use a king tuk with an XDM compact and wear, while not non-existent, is fairly minimal.

The way I look at it is, it's a tool, not a show piece. My man concern is it comes out and goes bang when it counts, and I don't care what it looks like getting it's job done.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
plateshooter

I've been making Kydex holsters for several years and when customers ask me that question, my answer is always "yes it will eventually." You can slow the wear down a lot. I use silicone oil I get from Rusty's Rags and it works very well for me. Wipe the inside of the holster with the sheep skin supplied and it keeps the wear down.
Old October 26, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Yes.

That said, any holster will eventually cause wear. Plastic holsters will cause that wear faster than leather holsters will.
Old October 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
kutz

It's patina, not wear, it's character, not wear it shows that it works & has been useful & loved!
Old October 28, 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
BigTex308

Any holster will wear on a gun over time. There's nothing you can do about it.

Personally I see a gun as a tool. I'm not going to abuse it or cause harm to it intentionally but I'm going to be more concerned on how well my gear and gun works than I am about getting a scratch or a little mark on it.

Ike

Last edited by BigTex308; October 28, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:42 AM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Good Kydex will wear a finish less than leather. Leather, especially if it's a little dusty, can act like an emery cloth on a finish. Kydex, wipe it clean once in awhile and you will be fine.
Old October 28, 2013, 12:57 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Metalife...

You could spring $78.00 USD or so & get the XDm pistol's upper parts treated with Metalife.
That will protect the pistol's metal parts & reduce the wear. Extra magazines with the service are $10.00 each.
Robar's great NP3 Plus is like the Metalife treatment but it's not cheap; www.robarguns.com .

Clyde