The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
300wsmman

Nosler

I bought some realoading items, and for my bullet to reload is a Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 gr. I have heard some people say when they hit something that is thick skin they blow up. If i shot an elk with these reloads will they be fine or with they blow up when they hit an elk.
Old July 1, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2
stinger

My guess is that it would work just fine. But I'd rather use a partitioned/bonded bullet. With the ballistic tips, penetration is iffy, while it is almost a guarantee that a bonded bullet is going to make adequate penetration.
Old July 1, 2007, 12:25 PM   #3
snuffy

Ballistic bombs,,--err I mean tips? I would certainly go with something a lot heavier, more solid than a BT. If you're stuck on shooting Nosler, then the accubond is what you want, they make one in 180 grain.

For my Browning 300 WSM, I use the 165 Hornady interbond for deer. If I were to be so fortunate as to go elk hunting, I would go with the 180 interbond.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old July 1, 2007, 12:26 PM   #4
steve4102

BT's are not a good choice for Elk. They are explosive and can come apart on impact. You will get a lot of verbiage from others on how great the BT is. You will have to make up your own mind.
I personally will not use a BT for any critter larger than a P Dog. As a matter of fact the BT and Combined Tech Ballistic Silver Tips are banned from out Whitetail camp.
If you want to use a plastic tipped bullet for hunting big game give the Accubond a try. Same design and accuracy as the BT, only better.
Old July 1, 2007, 03:40 PM   #5
300wsmman

Nosler Bullets

I am going to use my 165 Ballistic Tips for Antolpe and Deer, but i am looking for a bullet for elk. What Nosler Bullets work well for Elk. I was looking at the Fail Safe Gold, and just the reg. Fail Safe. Can anyone give me some advice.
Old July 1, 2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Threads merged.
Old July 2, 2007, 01:36 PM   #7
Scorch

Years ago, I used to shoot Nosler Solid Base bullets exclusively, until Nosler decided to drop Solid Base bullets and only offer Ballistic tips. I saw some of the performance issues with the Nosler Ballistic Tips (145 gr NBT blew up on an antelope), so I switched to Nosler Partitions. I have been shooting Nosler Partitions for 20 years. Never had anything walk away when hit with a Nosler Partition.

Fail-safe are very tough and a great bullet for elk, but they are no longer made, from what I've read. I can't remember what the new bullet is called that took its place, but it was covered in one of the gun rags about a year ago.
Old July 6, 2007, 08:03 PM   #8
M109

Some years ago I had a 180gr 30 cal Ballistic Tip fail to go through the neck of a whitetail deer on a broadside shot at about 85 yards. The bullet broke up and diden't make it through the bone. This was out of a 30/06.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
missoulaz28

if you hit neck bone at 85 yards, just about anything but a bonded/partition style bullet will blow up
Old July 7, 2007, 09:44 AM   #10
stinger

Quote:
if you hit neck bone at 85 yards, just about anything but a bonded/partition style bullet will blow up
I disagree. If any bullet but a ballistic tip (or other designed for such rapid expansion) blows up, then I consider that a bullet failure. If'n my 150g Sierra Pro Hunters blew up on a neck bone, they would never again be used by me.
Old July 7, 2007, 12:59 PM   #11
kingudaroad

Me and my son have shot a couple dozen deer with my current 270 load using a 130 gr bt. 100% had exit wounds, 100% wound up in the freezer. Some of these shots went through shoulders neck bones and spines.

I have no experience with elk.