The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 30, 2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

NRA High Power "AR" class Provisional Division

Has anyone shot in the new NRA High Power AR midrange division? It is currently in its 3 yr provisional status to see if there is enough interest.

General Rules taken from NRA High Power rule book
600 yard slow fire prone
-Must use either "Harris style" folding bipod or sling
-Must use standard 10, 20, or 30 round mag and rifle cannot have mag touch ground while firing
-Any AR caliber from .223 up to and including.308
-Any 12x or lower power optic ok
-Rifle 14 lbs or less
-Rear rest can only be a flat bag (not rabbit ear bag) or a rolled up mat or clothing article or your hand
-trigger pull 4.5 lbs or more
-barrel no more than 20" not counting factory flash hider
-flash hider ok, muzzle break not ok

There are more rules you can read at the link below in section 23 near the end of the document. This looks like fun and I may give my AR10 a try .It appears to be an attempt to create an unfettered AR midrange class

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...mW-y9TjNw2N4IA
Old November 30, 2016, 04:27 PM   #2
4EVERM-14

Sounds like they are trying to encourage AR owners who are not interested in shooting XTC and those who have built 'tactical' rifles to come and enjoy.
Many folks disregarde competition in the belief they are not good enough. Truth is YOU are the competition. It's a social event more then a contest.
I enjoy XTC with the AR service rifle. So this division is of little interest. I do hope others will consider trying it out.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old November 30, 2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Stats Shooter

I plan to try it out in January. I called a local range who does monthly LR and MR F-class shoots and they said they are absolutely aware of it and encouraged my to try it.
I have a Ruger SR762 .308 with Harris bipod , please piston driven, chromlined hammer forged barrel.
It also happens to have a 4x12x44 Swarovski Z3 scope. So it is already setup for this event. I just need to make a match grade load for it.
Old December 1, 2016, 10:50 AM   #4
kraigwy

Quote:
Many folks disregarde competition in the belief they are not good enough.
This, without a doubt is the problem with competition shooting.

Forget that "you aren't good enough. That's why they have classes. You certainly don't want to start out in the High Master Class. Start in the Marksman Class. You are shooting with equals. Stick with it and you'll work up fast enough.

You don't have to spend a bunch of money to get started. Go through your gun safe. I bet you find you already have a some sort of rifle and can find a competition that fits what you have.

Look at F-Class. Take your deer rifle out and compete in the Hunter Rifle category.

Or dig out grandpa's Garand, Springfield, etc. or ever your $200 Mosin and they will be competitive in the CMP Vintage rifle matches.

The quicker you get started, the more years you'll have to enjoy the comradeship that comes with competitive marksmanship programs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 1, 2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Stats Shooter

Quote:
This, without a doubt is the problem with competition shooting.

Forget that "you aren't good enough. That's why they have classes. You certainly don't want to start out in the High Master Class. Start in the Marksman Class. You are shooting with equals. Stick with it and you'll work up fast enough.

You don't have to spend a bunch of money to get started. Go through your gun safe. I bet you find you already have a some sort of rifle and can find a competition that fits what you have.

Look at F-Class. Take your deer rifle out and compete in the Hunter Rifle category.

Or dig out grandpa's Garand, Springfield, etc. or ever your $200 Mosin and they will be competitive in the CMP Vintage rifle matches.

The quicker you get started, the more years you'll have to enjoy the comradeship that comes with competitive marksmanship programs
We need to do a better job promoting this concept. We need to be welcoming to people of all skill levels. It can be intimidating to some, when they see online how much people spend on a competition rifle, or when they see someone able to shoot 1/2 minute groups at 600 yards with boring regularity.

But what they often do not realize, is that most everyone starts off where they currently sit...which is in the Marksman class!! It is like golf, or anything else, it is about having fun and improving and being competitive comes last.
Old December 1, 2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Road_Clam

I applaud the efforts of the NRA for attempting to establish unique forms of competitions to get the typical AR recreational shooter involved. The only issue I see with this particular format is it will be shot midrange at 300,500 and 600 yds. Most recreational AR shooters have built a 16" bbl variant. A 16" barrel will be no problem at 300 yds, but getting to 500 will be a challenge. 600 yds with a 16" bbl is not going to go well, our 600 yd line does not allow 16" bbls, and we have a 69 gr min bullet weight rule. Most people will need to build a 20" upper (or swap out their current 16" bbl to a 20"). My specific issue is that my 20" match service rifle has a traditional round free floated handguard and you can't mount a bipod so I would have to shoot off a bag. Not sure is a sand bag is allowed ? So unless you have a 20" railed upper you will need to swap out some parts. Guess it's time to start practicing off a bag at 600 yds. Time will tell if this format draws positive shooter turnouts.
Old December 1, 2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Stats Shooter

Quote:
. A 16" barrel will be no problem at 300 yds, but getting to 500 will be a challenge. 600 yds with a 16" bbl is not going to go well, our 600 yd line does not allow 16" bbls, and we have a 69 gr min bullet weight rule.
My AR 10 has a 16.25" barrel and the velocity difference between published max velocity out of a 24" barrel and my 16" barrel is 100 fps using 175 gr Sierra match kings and imr 4064.so it will shoot 600 yards all day no problem. 556x45 may struggle with it as you said, with bullets below 69 grains. But 77 grain smk's out of a 16" barrel will remain stable out to 600 yards provided you can keep the velocity above about 2500 fps.... which isnt that hard to do. The issue will be some of the 16" barrels with 1:9 twist that won't stabilize bullets 75 gr plus.

I am actually shooting a 600 yard slow fire match in 2 weeks using my stainless bull barrel 20" AR 556 using 75 gr hornady BTHP, 2750 fps, 1/4 moa, 24.2 gr Varget, CCi 450 primers, lake city brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/849...ree-float-tube

Last edited by Stats Shooter; December 1, 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old December 1, 2016, 09:36 PM   #8
bobn

I applaud any rule massaging to get more shooters to the line. I unfortunately have experienced plenty of arrogant hi power shooters and their head games. this new class might just get me back to the firing line at a high power match. bob
Old December 2, 2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Road_Clam

Mississippi, just to clarify all my distance vs velocity comments were based purely with the usage of the 223/5.56 AR-15. Shooting 7.62 at 500 and 600 will be much more do-able (but will get expensive ). I think most potential new shooters will want to stay with the AR-15. None the less the new class proposal is very interesting.
Old December 2, 2016, 11:19 AM   #10
kraigwy

Again, I address those who don't shoot competition and would like too, but have doubts for some reason or other.

Over my 40+ years of shooting competition of one sort or another, I've tried different venues, different matches. Often I confess with a bit of hesitation.

Every time I try something new three things occur.

I learn something
I have fun
I meet great people

In the first HP match I attended, I had no idea what I was doing, and didn't know anyone, or, have the internet to research.

I bought a standard grade M1A loaded some ammo and showed up. Almost all the experienced shooters offered advise. I was given a sling, and shown how to use it. I was also given a shooting jacket and shooting glove. This all from people I just met. I was shown how to shim my stock to make the rifle more accurate. I have never felt more welcome in any other new event in my life.

I didn't shoot a good score, I think I was probably dead last or at least close to the bottom but I came away feeling like a winner.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 2, 2016, 04:43 PM   #11
4EVERM-14

My experience is similar to kraigwy. As pretty much a plinker I new nothing about real shooting. People practically fell over each other to help,coach and loan stuff to me. I found that while some took the game seriously most just enjoyed the comraderie of fellow gun enthusiasts. The trading of reloading information,reviews of equipment, the latest jokes,even suggestions on the best steak house is part of match day.
There are reports that the CMP and NRA are going to offer even more shooting opportunities. Hope people try them out.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old December 2, 2016, 09:29 PM   #12
Stats Shooter

As the last two posters started, every single good shooter I have met loves shooting, and enjoys passing on what they know. If you are willing to listen, you can get top notch instructions and suggestions for just showing up.

The hardest part actually is trying to decide which advice is best but you will usually find something useful from everyone you talk to.

I got free instructions from a state champion silhouettes shooter for two days, went from a shotgun pattern at 25 yards to very tight groups in less than 1 week!

So if you have any desire to compete, or think you might like it but arnt sure, go to your gun safe, pull out "your" best rifle, and give it a try!!!!

Tags
nra ar class