The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 4, 2001, 09:47 AM   #1
Hutch

Uh-oh, Glock problem

My old tried and true (I thought) bedside table 2nd Gen Glock 17 developed a problem. I am not a Glock Armorer or gunsmith, so any replies need to be real simple. Thanks.

The trigger doesn't "drop the hammer" until it's pressing against the rear of the trigger housing, requiring a looooong trigger stroke and a lot of pressure. Once or twice it simply refused to trip, even when pulled SNUGLY against the frame. I stripped the pistol, shot it with a gun scrubber, and lightly lubed the thingie (I told you I was not a 'smith) on the right rear of the frame that I THINK controls things. Reassembled, racked the action and dry-fired repeatedly, no joy. Any ideas, or does this old companion go to a gunsmith right now? Before you ask, I've cued up the lightweight Commander for the nightstand.
"First, the freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right -- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility" -- L. Neil Smith

' I have an [in]alienable right to bear arms. I will exercise my own judgement in their use and accept responsibilty for the consequences' - Oakleaf
Old July 4, 2001, 09:58 AM   #2
WINTERVILLE WILL

Gunsmith trip...for a new trigger group...pops right in...no big deal.
Old July 4, 2001, 10:12 AM   #3
SDC

It sounds like your trigger-bar is bent; the fix for this is to take it to an armourer, and he'll drop in a new trigger unit, check your pistol out, and give it back as good as new.
Old July 4, 2001, 03:26 PM   #4
cautery

SDC is right. I think it is most probably a trigger bar prob too. Don't try to repair it.... replace it as the metal is probably fatigued.
Old July 5, 2001, 08:04 AM   #5
Hutch

Thanks, guys. I s'pect there'll be a Glocker at the next big gun show in town, and I'll tote 'er there.
"First, the freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right -- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility" -- L. Neil Smith

' I have an [in]alienable right to bear arms. I will exercise my own judgement in their use and accept responsibilty for the consequences' - Oakleaf
Old July 5, 2001, 09:24 PM   #6
WalterGAII

Another possibility would be that there's so much gunk in the striker channel that it just won't drop. Go to glockmeister.com, under "free services", and you'll see how easy it is to detail strip your slide. The striker channel could be thoroughly cleaned with something like alcohol and left dry. You should never let any oil get into the striker channel. If that doesn't work, and you dont' feel competent to remove two pins and replace the trigger bar, then an armorer at a gunshow might be a good idea.
Old July 6, 2001, 04:13 PM   #7
johnwill

Of course, there's always the option of sending it to Glock, I'm sure they'll fix it for free...
Old July 6, 2001, 04:49 PM   #8
WalterGAII

John's correct: Glock will fix it free, but you'll have to get it to them and be without its use for a couple or three weeks.

Glocks are extremely simple machines. They need never be touched by a gunsmith. Any parts that ever need to be replaced can be done by the Glock owner. You can detail strip the slide in under twenty seconds, if you're slow.