The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2001, 01:37 PM   #1
Benchrest1000

folks,

I just purchased a .243(T) upper for use with my AR10T. When I received it, the first thing I noticed was that the barrel was off center axis running down the free float tube. So much it was immediatly noticed. The 10T has a locking ring at the rear of the float tube. Tightening this causes the tension required to stabilize the tube when in use. The ring was moderately tight, but was easily loosened with only one hand. Upon using both hands to tighten it back up, the off axis problem was exactly the same. The barrel is at least 3/16ths of an inch off to one side of the tube. I have sent this back to Armalite for work, but am very curious how this could happen.

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2001, 11:53 PM   #2
Badger Arms

The upper could have been machined after having being misalligned in the fixture. It is also possible that the free-float tube was similarly defective. Either way, this could easily have passed through most QC checks. Armalite should make it good.