The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Ace_Breaker

Just picked up a stainless 1086 10mm

What a gun!!! I am used to Glocks so the trigger reset was a bit odd. But what a nice shooter. It seemed to tame the 10mm. No pain or problems at all. An accurate and completely reliable gun. I bought it like new with extremely low round count. I figured it would make a good woods gun. Before buying it I read online that they are built like tanks and eat just about any ammo. The 1086 did just that. I liked the fact that it was double action only. That way I don't need to mess with any safeties or training myself to do double/single action. I guess only about 1,600 were made. A very good purchase on my part I guess.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2
BuckRub

You have yourself an awesome gun. I have a 1076. S&W has the best warranty available. If you ever buy one, new or used and ever encounter a problem. Call them, they'll send you overnite a box with shipping label. You have to take to a fed ex that accepts firearms. Put a letter in box that explains problem and person on phone will also note that. They'll get gun overnite then call to verify they've received it and go over problem again. They'll fix it and overnite again to your door. All free for you . That's the way it should be. Some others are also good and may do lifetime but their warranty card only says one year so they may help you but after a year they may or may not. And almost all others make you pay shipping to their company for warranty. Kudos to S&W.
Old April 23, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
tekarra

I had a 4586 and agree it was bulit like a tank. Sold it because it did not have second strike capability. One annoying thing was the spring for either the slide lock or the safety fell out regularly during cleaning. Until I learned, the spring was hard to find!
Old April 23, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Dan-O

I got mine about two years ago. It's a sweet shooter for sure.

Old April 24, 2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Northrider

I would love to find one of those. Congrats.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Ace_Breaker

Very nice pic. Mine is in the same condition, but came with an adjustable rear sight and factory grips. I would have thought the factory plastic would have been hard on my hand but it wasn't. I felt zero pain shooting the gun. I have felt more pain shooting a .40! I really like the feel of the grip. Being a single stack keeps it nice and thin. 9 rounds of 10mm is nothing to laugh at. When I search hunting videos with 10mm I see nobody shooting more than a few rounds anyways. It is a heavy gun, but I like the feel of all steel. I think the 1086 should serve me well.
Old April 26, 2013, 04:45 AM   #7

Woods protection is a great role for this gun. Try and find some 180 or 200gr hardcast loads for it. Try underwood ammo