The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 9, 2010, 05:06 AM   #1
Bill Akins

Does anyone know the value of these special Remington revolvers?

Some time ago I acquired these two fully engraved, 1 of 5000 (both of them are), consecutively numbered, silver and gold plated, unfired, .44 cal, Pietta 1858 replica Remington revolvers. I also have the original boxes each one came in.
Does anyone have any knowledge as to what their value is?

Also I would like to build a wooden double revolver case to display them in.
I am thinking of the two revolvers one under the other but facing each other on red velvet with the Remington dog flask between them. Does anyone here have a link to anywhere that has instructions for building a wooden double revolver case?

Thanks, Bill

Here's the pics....

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:37 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Can't help on value, commemoratives are a small market, watch gunbroker and see if you find one that has sold.

Check Bill's cases for an idea on a double case.

http://www.billscases.com/20106.jpg
Old June 9, 2010, 09:28 AM   #3
PetahW

They are "collectibles", modern items made for people to "collect", and worth (above their shooting value) only what someone would be willing to pay.

The best place to discover what someone would pay, is to place them at auction.

Old June 9, 2010, 10:28 AM   #4
zippy13

madcratebuilder
Thanks for the link to Bill's Cases, I've bookmarked it.
Old June 9, 2010, 10:57 AM   #5
Bill Akins

Thanks for that link to the picture of the fellow named Bill's cases for ideas for case design. Does he make them for other people too? If so, do you have a link to contact him at? I looked at the Traditions website and they have cases there under accessories, but they all appear to just be single revolver cases. I sent them an e mail asking if they have available or can do a special order on double cases. So far I have been unable to find a black powder dealer's website that carries double 1858 Remington wooden cases. I might wind up having to just make my own.
Old June 9, 2010, 02:15 PM   #6
arcticap

j-bird posted an entire pistol box making tutorial in June, 2007 titled
"My New ‘51 Navy Display Case!".
It documents how he made his 2nd "improved" pistol box, and contains many useful hints for anyone that's considering to build one.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...building+a+box

Here's another thread that offers a simpler method of assembling a pistol box:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ng+pistol+case

I don't have any clue to what they would be worth. But I would think that their current value would be linked to how much they originally cost or what the owner paid for them taking into consideration how long ago that was and adjusting for inflation. So the OP would know more about their relative value, just like with any used collectible guns on the market. Can the OP supply any information about their original cost and when they were made? Do they have brass frames?
The fact that it's a consecutive pair may add a little more value although that could also dampen interest from those prospective buyers that might only be interested in purchasing one of them. So however unlikely, each might be worth more being sold as a single than together as a pair.

Last edited by arcticap; June 9, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old June 12, 2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Bill Akins

Thanks for the excellent information fellas!
Bill.
Old June 12, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

If you go here on his website http://www.billscases.com/ it is the home page. From there you can find out what you want to know. The double Remington case is $190.00.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old June 12, 2010, 04:50 PM   #9
kodiakbeer

I don't imagine they're worth more than you paid for them. These are Italian machine engraved replicas with plastic stocks.

I used to run into this all the time when I ran a gun store. Somebody would bring in their limited edition Winchester John Wayne commemorative model 94 (or whatever) thinking that twenty years had added a lot of value and hoping to trade for something or sell. A quick check of the Blue Book would show these had little to no value over working guns in the same condition. And that was with Winchesters, Colts, etc, made by Winchester or Colt. Italian replicas are liable to be worth even less than you paid for them.

These kind of guns look nice on the wall, but as an investment they're a bust. So, build or buy that nice case and enjoy them.
Old June 12, 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

Might be the prettiest pistols on the range.
Magazine ad 'limited edition' things. Not worth much.
Old June 12, 2010, 06:53 PM   #11
arcticap

Right now Cabela's has the similar looking nickel/gold engraved Pietta 1860 Army on sale for $279 which is the same plated brass frame revolver that has been offered for years.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&id=0022090

Cabela's also offers the similar Pietta 1851 nickel/gold with a white grip at the regular price of $349.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&id=0006184

The main difference between these plated Colts and the nickel/gold Remingtons above is due to being a 1 of 5000 limited edition and not being a regular production item.
So maybe these Remingtons would be valued a little higher than the regular prices for the nickel/gold Colts. But I think that it would be very difficult to find a buyer willing to pay much more than $50 over that price for each of them.

Last edited by arcticap; June 12, 2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old June 13, 2010, 01:28 PM   #12
Bill Akins

Thanks Gaucho Gringo for that link to Bill's cases website. That is one of the few sites I have seen thus far offering DOUBLE cases for sale.

Arcticap, In addition to my Remingtons, I think I have that same Pietta 1860 Army model you were talking about. It differs from the one you described though in that although it is nickel and gold, it is not engraved.

Here's a pic of me holding it.....

and a better pic of it from the Traditions website.....

It sells at the Traditions firearms muzzle loading website for $349.00
I got a good deal on it at auction, unfired for $160.00

I have it and the two "1 of 5000 Remingtons". (I like nickel and gold plated revolvers)

I have seen the same like mine "1 of 5000" 1858 Remingtons selling at auction for around $500.00 each (and a little more sometimes).
So I know their approx value individually. What I don't know is how much having two consecutively numbered ones would increase the overall value by their being consecutively numbered, and how much having the original boxes would also increase their value. I really want to get a good display case for them.

Thanks everyone for their input and especially for the links to sites to get double cases for them.
Bill.

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 13, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:31 AM   #13
sebou

Hello
Your revolver limited edition "1 of 5000" is verry beautifull.
It might this one could be cost around 600 $ in france.

Seb