The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2008, 03:29 AM   #1
chris in va

'Adjusting' a thumb snap?

The snap on my Bianchi holster doesn't want to stay snapped. Comes off rather easily. Any way to 'fix the glitch'?
Old February 7, 2008, 06:32 AM   #2
grey sky

I have had bad luck like that before. Can't adjust them but they are easey to replace fabric stores cary the tools and snaps once you practice a couple of times on somthig expendable you will want to replace snaps on other things too . try droping the new snap in cold blue if a dark finish is desired before assembly. Good luck to you.
Old February 7, 2008, 07:21 AM   #3
BillCA

Take a look inside either part of snap for a phillips head screw. If equipped, as some are, you can loosen this screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn and adjust the snap's position. If there isn't a screw, it's possible you need to stretch the leather on the retention strap slightly.

Screw Adjustment:
1. Loosen 1/4-1/2 turn.
2. Insert an empty gun into the holster.
3. Fasten the strap by adjusting the snaps until they will close fully (all the way around).
4. Add a little tension to the strap by pushing the snap to "tighten" the strap. Mark the position of the adjustable snap.
5. Remove the gun, reposition the snap where marked and tighten the screw.
6. Check for fit. Readjust as necessary to get a secure fit.

Non-Adjustable snap:
Presuming you're getting the snap closed all the way, but at some point it "pops" open, here's a trick to slightly stretch the thumb strap.

Lay the holster in the sun for an hour or so until it's warm to the touch, especially the thumb strap. This will help soften the leather naturally. Insert the gun into the holster and snap the strap in place. Be sure the snap seats fully all the way around. Leave the gun and holster in the sun for 1-2 hours. Remove or shade the gun after that time and allow to cool with the gun in the holster. Once it cools, try it for function.

If it's still not quite seating, repeat the above procedure, but fold a business card in half both ways and insert this under the strap to stretch the strap slightly.
Old February 8, 2008, 03:41 AM   #4
chris in va

Thanks Bill, I'll have to remember that.

However it's actually the snap itself that's not holding. I can take the gun out, snap it and it'll pretty much pop out with minimal pressure. No screws to replace it either.

There's a copper colored snap ring inside that might be out of shape, maybe I can squeeze it back together a little.
Old February 20, 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Dumpster Baby

Arts and craft stores, and sewing sections of larger stores, carry brass and nickel snaps and the little tools to install them. They install like a hollow rivet. The problem is that snaps come in different tube lengths for different thicknesses of materials, and different finishes and coverings for the domed head part. The OEM market has a much wider choice of sizes and styles compared to the puny consumer market, and the OEM suppliers won't deal with consumers directly. You might want a bag of Super Duper flat black snaps for your gear but the Super Duper Hardware Co. doesn't recognize sales of less than pallet loads to Fortune 500 companies.

I've tried to roughen up and paint the snap domes, and it doesn't work well. Some snaps are chemically treated to a flat black finish, some are plastic coated in various colors, etc, and it's pretty hard to duplicate any of that at home.