The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 20, 1999, 08:57 PM   #1
cruiserman

I bought my wife a Mossberg 500 with the dual barrel kit (28" and 18.5") for x-mas (no, really, I did). What's good for light weight target load and what's good for self-defense load? Self-defense would be primarily for inside of a cheaply built Arizona stucco house. thanks.
Old December 20, 1999, 10:16 PM   #2
Sea Bass

Cruiserman...stick w/ birdshot for hd use. I use 7-8 birdshot. You don't want something to powerful that will penetrate several layers of walls for liability sake.
Old December 20, 1999, 11:04 PM   #3
Clogbert

At typical home-defense distances, 7-20 feet, #7 birdshot will hit almost like a single slug, since the shot pellets won't have time to spread out. I tested 12ga #7 birdshot, #5 birdshot and #4 buckshot against 4 layers of drywall separated by 2x4s, shooting from 15 feet away. The #7 went through 2 layers of sheetrock, the #5 went through 3 layers, and the buckshot blasted through all 4 layers of sheetrock. Since I live in an apartment, #5 birdshot is my choice for home defense.
Old December 21, 1999, 12:08 AM   #4
Shawn Dodson

Federal's Personal Defense shotshell wouldn't be a bad choice. It's loaded with #2 birdshot and has a shotcup that's specially designed to increase the spread rate of the shot pattern.

I tested it and wrote and article on it several months ago. You can locate the article, which includes photos, by visiting http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

Hope your wife enjoys her gift. I bought my lovely bride a Beretta .380 ACP several years ago. She loved it.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Old December 21, 1999, 11:51 AM   #5
cruiserman

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to keep the shotgun a surprise for x-mas, but she saw the receipt in my wallet. Doh! I unwrapped it, and we tested it out on Sunday with my new HK USP45 compact (my x-mas gift ). We've gone from no guns to 4 in 6 months .

thanks again, eric
Old December 21, 1999, 12:18 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

At typical HD ranges, the shells could hold breath mints and they'd still be quite lethal. But, that's probably not the best choice.

Since you will want to keep your logistics kinda simple, try some light trap loads with 7 1/2 shot. At HD ranges, it'll hit like a solid projectile and not go through 12 walls etc.

However, I'd find a buckshot load that the gun likes also, just in case you need to shoot outside the house for some reason riots, insurrections, block parties gone bad(G)...
Old December 21, 1999, 01:30 PM   #7
TheOtherMikey

Hey Eric, I went from two guns to 35 guns in two years. As a bachleor, I don't have to answer to anyone but my sisters, uncles, etc. keep needling me about how many guns I own. Non-shooters just don't understand that you need a different gun for a different shooting sport. My latest mania is trap and I have jumped on the bandwagon body and soul....I love it "too much, Joe". Regards, Mikey

p.s. I guess I do have to answer to my creditors. Booooooo!

[This message has been edited by TheOtherMikey (edited December 21, 1999).]
Old December 21, 1999, 02:29 PM   #8
cdf

I honestly recomend Remington High Velocity game loads.

2 3/4
1,390fps
7/8oz shot load
7 1/2 shot
I've patterned this load through my 18.5 inch barrel. Good performance. In CQB this load will more than do the job on any attackers. And it won't pass through all of the walls in your house and kill the lawyers' dog next door.