The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old July 4, 2012, 11:14 PM   #26
rgrundy

If you are paying alot of money to travel and kill an elk get a rifle that will do it easily like some sort of 300 magnum. I've killed elk with a 44 mag handgun and everything from the 25-06 to a 338. With the lighter calibers you just don't have the option of penetrating 2 to 3 feet of elk and killing them and having to pass on a good bull at a bad angle because you are using a light rifle is going to be more than some people can bear. Besides it's a good reason to get a new rifle.
Old July 5, 2012, 01:58 AM   #27
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrundy View Post
If you are paying alot of money to travel and kill an elk get a rifle that will do it easily like some sort of 300 magnum. I've killed elk with a 44 mag handgun and everything from the 25-06 to a 338. With the lighter calibers you just don't have the option of penetrating 2 to 3 feet of elk and killing them and having to pass on a good bull at a bad angle because you are using a light rifle is going to be more than some people can bear. Besides it's a good reason to get a new rifle.
I've been on several rifle Elk hunts as a spotter and I have seen guys using .270Win. Rifles several times. Maybe it's because I have only hunted in Elk Country but I just don't see what the big deal is with the tough landscape? I don't rifle hunt the Buglers, personally. I go after them with 400gr. Arrows so if I was on a big bull and I am in range to shoot him I would either wait for a clean shot or try to make a better move. Most of the shots I have witnessed were from 200-500 yards. I wouldn't take a 500 yard shot with a .270 Win, I suppose, but I think it's fine for under 300. My cousin shot a nice bull a couple years ago at 562 yards cross-canyon with a 30-378 WBY and that sucker took two steps and died. Thing is, they get drawn for Elk all the time.

I wouldn't buy a new rifle if I was never going to use it again. If you take your .270 just use good judgment. It will work just fine within it's limits if you're using good bullets (even if they're 130GR.).

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 5, 2012, 07:27 AM   #28
Jack O'Conner

270 has toppled many animals much larger than deer. I suggest use Remington AccuBond ammo.

Jack
Old July 5, 2012, 09:36 AM   #29
rgrundy

Code:
270 has toppled many animals much larger than deer. I suggest use Remington AccuBond ammo.

Jack
Exactly how many elk have you killed with that load over the years?
Old July 7, 2012, 04:09 PM   #30
ZeroJunk

Doesn't appear that the guy was too interested, or at least he never commented.

If I was going to buy an elk rifle it wouldn't be a 270. If it is what I had and I didn't want to buy another rifle or recoil was a problem for me I would at least use the heaviest premium bullets available.

Although the possibility of making an unsuccessful shot that would have been successful with something a tad larger is there it's somewhat rare I would suspect.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:29 PM   #31
rgrundy

I lived in Colorado for many years, lived where I hunted and had the luxury of being able to let the animals walk if the shot wasn't perfect. The hunters that come out for a few days may not be willing to do that and it's best to have something that will do the job under less than ideal conditions. I love to bowhunt too. I called in and shot a 5 point with the bow last year and took a 5X6 with my 300 magnum (trotting at 250 yards through the oaks, not a shot I'd have taken with the 270). I'm in my 60's and did it DIY on public land hunting alone as I've done for years. The bigger calibers with premium bullets allows you to angle the bullet through 2 to 3 feet of animal and get into vitals on less than perfect angles. The lighter guns just won't do it especially if you are looking at a big old bull that may have and inch of mud encrusted hair protecting him.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:41 AM   #32
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrundy View Post
I lived in Colorado for many years, lived where I hunted and had the luxury of being able to let the animals walk if the shot wasn't perfect. The hunters that come out for a few days may not be willing to do that and it's best to have something that will do the job under less than ideal conditions. I love to bowhunt too. I called in and shot a 5 point with the bow last year and took a 5X6 with my 300 magnum (trotting at 250 yards through the oaks, not a shot I'd have taken with the 270). I'm in my 60's and did it DIY on public land hunting alone as I've done for years. The bigger calibers with premium bullets allows you to angle the bullet through 2 to 3 feet of animal and get into vitals on less than perfect angles. The lighter guns just won't do it especially if you are looking at a big old bull that may have and inch of mud encrusted hair protecting him.
I grew up in Northern Arizona and it is hard for me to imagine what it would be like NOT doing DIY hunts on public land. Not much private land elk hunting here (or other animals for that matter). I know we have a real unique situation here. I have run into out-of-state Hunters that paid thousands of dollars for guides on low-percentage late November archery hunts.

I get what you're saying about the client possibly only having a few days on a once in a lifetime hunt. I guess because I would be comfortable hunting an Elk with a .270 Win. I would give that opinion to others. If it really is an expensive OIAL hunt, you're probably right about wanting mo' power.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old July 14, 2012, 12:37 PM   #33
kraigwy

Quote:
Code:
Quote:
JackExactly how many elk have you killed with that load over the years?
That, and the post below yours are rather silly. You ignored the other post by those who have extensive experience hunting and guiding elk hunts with a 270 Win and pick on Jack because he didn't list his kills.

Guess what, I use a 270 for elk also, I'm not listing my sucess either, except to say a 270 never failed me.

But then, I shoot Model 70s
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 15, 2012, 08:16 AM   #34
rgrundy

When your experience is rather thin it's probably best not to list your successes.
Old July 15, 2012, 01:15 PM   #35
langenc

Save the money that you would have spent on the rifle. Buy 3 or 4 extra boxes of ammo. Shoot it at all angles, distances and positions. You will have money left over after the elk is frozen/mounted.
Old July 15, 2012, 04:15 PM   #36
Sure Shot Mc Gee

First Elk Hunt

Quote:
but at not being an expert marksman I just want to be sure. Thoughts?
Just a suggestion. If there's time left before you go hunting. And the money is there for a new rifle. Because you feel uneasy about or are unsure if your 270 will cut the mustard so to speak. Treat yourself to a new rifle and scope set-up. 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag will get the job done no doubt about it. In hunting BIG game you have to have confidence in your equipment and your abilities first and foremost. After that it's all down hill sledding. If you do buy a new rifle. It would be nice if you could get some Range time prior to your hunt as to get accustom with your new rifle and its scope. This planned elk hunting trip. It very well may be your first hunt. But it may turn out~ not to be your last. Elk hunting is like fishing for muskey's. Both can be an addicting challenge every year.

A litt'l Tip from one Elk hunter to another soon to be Elk hunter: "When hunting any Big game it's better to be over gunned verses being caught under gunned." __Wishing the Best of Luck to You Sir,
Old July 15, 2012, 04:51 PM   #37
ZeroJunk

Quote:
the post below yours are rather silly

Why, because I wouldn't pick a 270.

I've killed them with an arrow.

But, if I was going to buy a rifle now, and I just might, it would be either a 7MM WSM or 300 WSM in Model 70 extreme weather SS.

I have killed them with a 280 and a 30-06 , so it is obvious that you don't have to have a magnum.

But, there is no downside to shooting a heavier faster bullet to the point the recoil starts to bother you.

If you are marginally off target the notion that a heavier fast bullet won't penetrate deeper and potentially sever an extra artery or two resulting in quicker kill is what's silly.

The only perfect marksmen I have ever seen are on forums.

I have been hunting elk for 25 years. Being a guide doesn't say much. Some of them are great, but half of them you have to spend time teaching them what to do, especially bow hunting.

The outfitters I know will tell you that a 270 is sufficient. But, it's not their first choice either. They would rather see you with a 308 and a 180 grain bullet.
Old July 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #38
kraigwy

Quote:
the post below yours are rather silly

Why, because I wouldn't pick a 270.
No sir, its silly because of the way you attacked Jack.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 18, 2012, 01:18 PM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The OP has never returned. I think this has run its course.
Closed Thread

Tags
elk hunting