The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2012, 11:36 AM   #26
22-rimfire

I can't recommend that an inexperienced shooter with a small stature get a 44 mag for woods protection. The amount of recoil is very important. But so is having a firearm that is powerful enough to provide some protection when necessary. I believe she will find the 357 mag uncomfortable to shoot. So I recommended the Ruger GP-100 in either a 3" or 4" configuration as the most powerful handgun caliber that is practical.

I think the "Judge" (Taurus or S&W version) would be a poor choice as would an airweight revolver. But I do suggest a revolver over a semi-auto pistol.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:41 AM   #27
rickyrick

I didn't recommend a judge.....I stated that because of the judge, the interest in 45colt has created more ammo choices.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:57 AM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel.
If you are willing to send that to her she will be as well served with it as any other gun she could get her hands on. Got my first deer with one at 135 yards in New Mexico a whole bunch of years ago and still wish I had it. It was a great shooter on 200 yard targets on the rifle range and just as handy at the pistol range on Bullseye targets. Even took a rabbit or 3 or 4 or well a bunch of them using 38 spcl wadcutter ammo.

Not real proud of that deer though, only deer I ever had to shoot twice and now I restrict myself to 100 or under but the gun is up to it if she is. It sure made me feel better when I was walking around in mountain lion country.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old March 8, 2012, 11:58 AM   #29
matthew261

I'm a .357 Magnum believer through and through

A .357 Magnum is a proven stopper of beasts of all kinds. Want reduced recoil? Load it with any number of .38 Sp loads. Want ultimate stopping power? Load it with 125-158 gr hollow points. Practice with the .38s and guard thyself with .357s. The range of available revolvers is wide, from Scandium-Alloy J-frames snubs to 8" barreled hunting rigs.

I've carried a Ruger SP101 for over 20 years (3" barrel, factory grips). It's a bit heavy, but absorbs recoil quite nicely, conceals adequately and will handle 1000s of rounds without a hiccup. I also carry a S&W M&P 340 because it's highly concealable, lightweight and once again...it's a .357.

Ever since Law Enforcement gave up the .357, they've been searching for a caliber that will stop as effectively. .45 ACP is as close as they've gotten, but for pure consistency in stopping power, there's nothing like the magnum. The ballistic nature of the 125 gr. SJHP has been termed a "lightning bolt effect."

As for limited firepower, I understand why departments have gone to auto loaders. However, for most civilians there are very few circumstances that require more than 5 shots (I believe the actual average of shots fired is 3).

So...while there are many fine handguns and excellent reasons for carrying the various calibers, for me it is obviously the versatile and highly effective .357 magnum.
Old March 8, 2012, 11:59 AM   #30
22-rimfire

Accuracy is so so on the "Judge" with 45LC. You read about both extremes, so I don't know what is reality. I wanted one when they first came out for a fun gun, but have since crossed them off my want list.

RickyRick, you did say that. I didn't mean to offend you.

I would rather she got something like the S&W 625 or something similar in 45LC than the big cylinder on the judge which nudges you toward using 410's. There is a great power range available with the 45LC, but most factory ammo is not real powerful unless you buy from Buffalo Bore or similar loadings. Of course, you can always load to about 1000 fps which would make a controllable package. You can do the same things with either the 41 mag or 44 mag of course.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; March 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 12:17 PM   #31
cje1980

Is she comfortable and proficient with firearms? I generally think its a mistake to push the issue with somebody who isn't comfortable with firearms or willing to put in the training with firearms. This is serious business.

I didn't see post #7. My mistake. I think a DAO revolver with a 3-4" barrel is hard to beat. I really wouldn't trust a semi-auto smaller than a 40S&W against wild animals. I generally have more faith in revolvers than semi-autos out in the woods.
Old March 8, 2012, 12:22 PM   #32
rickyrick

Yes, the op stated that she was proficient with firearms. My understanding is that he wishes to purchase and send her another one.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:14 PM   #33
22-rimfire

Ruger 3" SP-101, or my favorite the 3" or 4" GP-100 is my suggestion again. I believe I'm going around in circles.

Good luck with the choice.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:58 PM   #34
Southern Shooter

Got a Phone Call....

Well, I received a phone from my daughter just after lunch. She had questions about her SUV. However, I brought the gun and backcountry issue. We talked about the various gun options including buying her a new one.

She is a very practical person. She has shot my Security-Six quite a bit and is comfortable with it and how it performed in her hands...and, well, she asked if I would object to her having it. What's a dad gonna say??? I will be packing it up and and heading to my local firearms dealer.

She has access to a lot of heavy hardcast .357 Magnum ammo. That, with her promise to practice at the range, often, makes this a great choice for her.

Thanks for ya'll's input.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old March 8, 2012, 03:37 PM   #35
NWPilgrim

Fantastic choice. Having grown daughters of my own I know it makes you proud when they take responsibility for their safety. Shows she has good common sense.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 8, 2012, 05:41 PM   #36
matthew261

As the father of two girls who LOVE shooting and hunting, your story nearly puts a tear in my eye. Must be a cat in here!
Old March 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #37
Southern Shooter

Yes...she is a strong thinker with common sense and in most cases very independent. She has a strange mix of caution and boldness within her character. As a father, I am scared for her at times and want to intervene...but, I am more scared to squelch her focuse and drive and thirst for life.

Her approach to life is that anything that makes her nervous is just exactly what she delves into. Which is how she became involved in competative swimming, running/jogging mountain trails, sky diving, and, now she is heading to the Middle East for 2 months (scary time to be over there).
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; March 8, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:34 PM   #38
matthew261

I spent two months in Israel and Palestine and one month in Syria in 2007. Wonderful, beautiful place and people despite the politics. She'll be fine. Just tell her not to visit the Western Wall with a CQC Knife in her pocket...the IDF frowns on it.
Old March 8, 2012, 08:35 PM   #39
Southern Shooter

ha ha...I will for sure remind her to leave the knife behind.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:28 PM   #40
Southern Shooter

Plenty to Choose From

If she and the Ruger Security-Six can handle the recoil, there seems to be plenty of choices for ammunition suited for the backcountry. Certainly, not grizzly defense ammo. But, I would think anything else would be in jeopardy if struck in the right spot with these.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2FEP357J-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2COR357200HC-1.html

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=151

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=152

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=100
Old March 9, 2012, 09:27 AM   #41
mr.t7024

handgun

Check out the Ruger DA .327 magnum. You can shoot .32 shorts and longs,the .32 H&R Magnum and od course the .327 magnum. The ballistics on the .327 mag are real close the the .357. Cliff
Old March 10, 2012, 12:53 PM   #42
Keg

Quote:
Let her feel and fondle a 4" Ruger SP 101. Heavy enough to sorta tame the recoil of a .357 full-house load, but not bad for holster carry.

5'-2" and 120 pounds is not delicate, but at 5'-2" there could be a problem with hand size vs. a pistol's grip size. Try a Smith K-frame as well.
My wife carries a S&W 640 in 357....(I think 640 is right..It has a short barrel..but I think they make a longer barrel now)
Old March 10, 2012, 01:20 PM   #43
Lee McNelly

in forum

someone has a redhawk 4in 44mag
Old March 10, 2012, 09:53 PM   #44
grubbylabs

I think you have made a fine choice in the gun. I prefer the 44 mag, and let me tell you having hunting in an area where we were walking on grizzly prints I still felt a little vulnerable. But I think with hard cast bullets she will be fine. However, at no point should she load a hollow point in the gun for woods carry. If she does have to face a bear, or more likely a ****** moose, she is going to want all the penetration she can get.

My 44 mag is a Smith and Wesson 329 PD which is an scandium framed revolver. Not very nice to shoot a bunch at the range, but very nice to carry in the woods. It also helps that I cast and load my own bullets for it, way more tolerable to shoot than with factory ammo.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #45
langenc

Whatever she will carry. As I always say "let her decide" you cant buy a gun for daughter anymore than for a wife.

She would probably find it too big but take a look at the S&W Governor. I found it to be BIG after carrying a jframe for a while.
Old March 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #46
Doug S

I think the two of you made a good choice. I recently picked this one up for a woods/hiking gun...

Small enough to carry conceal, but not a bad belt gun either. 357 has been used on pretty much everything in the lower 48 if memory serves.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old March 13, 2012, 08:11 PM   #47
Deja vu

My mother in law bought her self one of those Chiappa Rhinos (blue with a long barrel) For a 357 magnum it has surprising little kick. It is still very loud (like all 357 magnums) but it is pretty easy on the hands.

I see she is using your Security-Six... very good taste

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...