The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
RaisedByWolves

Someone had to be the first. 12" Speedfeed stock.

*Preface: Im working on getting the LOP down to 12", but I have to see if the small size Decelerator pad will hug the stock at this length.

Why?

The Speedfeed stock is just too long.

Seeing that I like my Speedfeed stock, and I like shooting Brenneke slugs out of this gun, for me a decelerator pad was a must. I sometimes shoot these slugs on the 100yrd range for ****s and giggles off of a sand bag and these things will rock your Sox when your sitting down. The boys at the range are always wowed that I can make 5-6" groups with this set up at 100yrds so its a win/win/win combo. I grin, I make tight groups at long ranges, they are amazed, Win/Win/Win!

But the 15" LOP on this rig was a big looser if I tried to shoot freehand. The gun is way heavy in the first place at nearly 12lbs loaded, combine that with the LOP and I was allover the place with it.

Heres the stock with the Decelerator pad installed. The camera had to be held at an angle to get the 15" mark to show so it looks like Im fudging the LOP, but its measured correctly.

Looking it over I saw that there was plenty of meat to the stock to do some cutting on it, plus with the idea of using the Decelerator pad I could loose the stock recoil pad also. I measured and cut just over an inch of for right now as I dont have a small sized Decelerator to be able to guage the fit if I take off a full 2", so Ill have to get one and see how it looks before going any further.

Here is the shortened stock along with the stock pad, the 1" of the stock I removed and the new plate I made to retain the springs. Just some 1/8" aluminum and profiled to the correct shape that gets attached with two 10-24 flat head screws.

I went and cut 1" off of the springs and re profiled the end like they were from the factory to see if I could still get 4 shells in there with only 1" removed, but it is just a smidge too short for that.

Heres the shortened springs in their pockets.

And here is the stock refit with the 2" hunk of waste removed for comparison.

Finally, here it is in all its shortened glory. It shoulders much better now and dosent feel like Im trying to hold up a length of sewer pipe anymore. I was also able to easily relocate the sling stud and re attach it. Its in a position that will work if I decied to leave it at this length or will also be GTG if I want to remove another inch. All I need to do now is order a Small size pad. The pad thats on there now is a lil loose so the small one should fit, but Im hoping its a lil tight, then I will cut the stock down more.

Anyone got a Small Decelerator pad their not using and would be willing to donate? :mrgreen:

Old July 1, 2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice project.

Shoot it some before further cropping. If you can handle it and recoil doesn't drive your thumb into your nostrils, this may be right.

And inch increments here are for the reckless. I'd adjust length 1/8 or 1/4" at a time, with some shooting in between.

HTH....
Old July 1, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
fisherman66

Ouch, dadgumbit that sucker's gonna hurt with high brass.
Old July 1, 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
RaisedByWolves

A lot of the Tactical oriented shooters like the 12" hogue youth stock for their guns, I just figured Id try shortening this as it was available.

Dont know why it would hurt with high brass, should have plenty of pad on it.