The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2006, 04:36 PM   #1
ITEOTWAWKI

Who publishes the best reloader's book?

As I'm pondering the idea of getting into handloading, what book or books should I look into to get myself started? I like to think I can pick up new things pretty well, it's just that I'm as green as can be when it comes to loading ammo.

I've read somewhere that 'lee' books are where to begin? What's considered the end-all be-all greatest handloading book/bible?
Old October 1, 2006, 04:46 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

What do you indend to reload? Rifle handgun or sotgun?

The NRA publishes a very good all around reloading book that is must reading for a "newby".
Lyman is great for shotgun reloading and Hornady, Sierra and Speer are good for handgun and rifle.

Good luck. Reloading is lots of fun and relaxing once you get into the groove.
Old October 1, 2006, 06:49 PM   #3
ITEOTWAWKI

Primarily .45 and .223 (until perhaps I venture into the wonderful world of real .30 cal rifles)
Old October 1, 2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Bud Helms

The best ... it's just like the best pistol, or revolver, or rifle, or caliber, or model, or bullet, or holster. There's no best. They're different. When it come to reloading manuals, get 'em all. Each one has something the others don't, like pistols, revolvers, rifles, different calibers and chamberings, different models, bullets, and holsters.
Old October 1, 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
Edward429451

I have nine manuals and can't really say that any ones the best because they all have something the others do not. If I was just getting into reloading I'd be split between Lyman or Speer.

Not familier with Lee's so can not comment on that.
Old October 1, 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
rem33

I have several from 4 different company's , not all are current but I do refer to them all at times. Lyman's seems to get the most use.
Old October 1, 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
rwilson452

The Best?

Like the man said there is no best. The top three for a new reloader are, "the ABC's of Reloading" Lee's Modern reloading and Lymans ( the latest edition). I would suggest you get all three. Really you never have enough reloading manuals. I reload a lot and I'm still collecting them. I consult the powder mfg web pages. Bullet mfg, you name it. I read a lot before starting a new reloading project. That's my suggestion, others may very.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:02 PM   #8
Dave R

FWIW, the only one I read for fun is Speer's. The introductions to each cartridge are great. Good history, background, tips, etc.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:15 PM   #9
amamnn

I agree you can't have too many manuals. I think I'd start with the Lee "Modern Reloading" as it has a large "how to" section and good general reloading data for rifles and pistols. I use the manuals that the bullet makers put out, since they try a lot of powders using their bullets. While many bullets may look identical, there are subtle differences in shape and composition that will change the neck tension of a cartridge, and hence, the start pressure. Lee takes this into account in the load data and gives a good safe starting point for each caliber and bullet type. But to get the most out of your loads, once you have decided on favorite bullets, the manuals by Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, and other bullet makers would be the best choice.

You are wise to read up on the subject before jumping in. I've been doing this for 50 years come this April and it's good to see new people getting interested in shooting and reloading. It's really too bad that there are still fools who just load up whatever seems ok to them. Those people make problems for more than just themselves or the poor guy on the bench next to them at the range when they blow the receiver out of a rifle. We've had one range closed to centerfire shooting here and another severely restricted because of incidents like that. Reloading is a great hobby and a rewarding one if done safely. I hope you enjoy many years of fun at it.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:27 PM   #10
ledavatar

I have 3 manuals - Lyman, Lee, and Sierra. Lee has more loads than anybody, so if you like to experiment w/ various powder and bullets, that's the way to go. I seem to use that book most of all since it has the most data.

I wouldn't recommend Sierra - they only carry info on their own manufactured bullets.
Old October 2, 2006, 12:40 AM   #11
JJB2

i have always checked as many sources as i could for different loads and tips on reloading.. then just pick out what you want to start with and research for your needs....... and i come up with my own safe loads for my guns...... for me reloading is a great wat to spend the long iowa winter evenings..... that and shooting my rws air rifle into small groups

LIFE IS SHORT.........
Old October 2, 2006, 12:47 PM   #12
MrGee

Like everyone one else i have more then one .. i prefer to start with Lymans,
[#48 Edition] being the newest, i always use Sierra as cross reference an then Speer. the reason All here say the more the better , is when you get into loading what you'll be looking for will depend on the components brands you use... bullets, powder an primer brands.. will very in each book. one idea would be for you is to get which ever you choose `plus' a book[s] just on the caliber you would be loading ... [as you said .45/.223] which can be found @ http://www.midwayusa.com/ or http://www.brownells.com/ an other sites that carry reloading stuff....
best of luck .. you'll find it a lot of fun.....
Old October 2, 2006, 05:34 PM   #13
azredhawk44

Never start reloading with just one manual.

It's always possible for one manual to have a typo in it. Always second-source your loads.

Lee's modern reloading is an excellent resource. Lyman's is another. READ THE FIRST HALF OF LEE'S BOOK BEFORE RELOADING. FIND A FRIEND WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING AND LEARN FROM HIM.

I probably have over a dozen manuals. I get the ones from each powder manufacturer. I have a printout from CorBon's website for loading .400 Corbon. I get the ones from Rainier's website. I have 2 caliber-specific manuals for 44mag and 30-30. I even have one specifically for loading Hodgdon 777 powder for cowboy-style reloads that I do for my dad.

Lots of data is always best. Have fun, be safe!
Old October 2, 2006, 06:10 PM   #14
ClarkEMyers

Phil Sharpe and Earl Naramore wrote the best books.

Phil Sharpe and Earl Naramore wrote the best books. For data the respective makers have the best data for their own product. That is for data I'd look first at the bullet maker and the powder maker for data. The various editions of ABC's of Reloading and the Richard Lee book and some others all together add up to something pretty decent but none of the newer books about reloading is really as good as some of the older books.
Old October 3, 2006, 05:26 AM   #15
Tim R

Unlike some of the others Speer uses real firearms for testing. Speer is my go to book and is always about right on the money. Good how too section and is fun to read the history. My $.02 peso's.
Old October 3, 2006, 09:26 AM   #16
sundog

For a 'how-to' I like the NRA Guide to Reloading. It was specifically developed for the NRA Reloading Course. It covers the basics very well with word and image, metallic and shotshell. ABC's of Reloading is a good second. Also take a look at NRMA. You will also want more than one reloading manual. Plus, look at all the powder and bullet mfg's web sites. There's certainly alot more available today than years ago! sundog
Old October 3, 2006, 10:40 PM   #17

I've been loading for over 35 years and have a few to look through. I agree with the guys that say you can't have too many different manuals.

Old October 4, 2006, 11:04 PM   #18
flutedchamber

I have to agree with what everyone above said as far as a variety of manuals and cross-checking information. The only thing that I can add is the Lee loading manual (the original one) is well worth buying for not only loading information, but there is also a wealth of other reloading information well explained which is nice to have at your fingertips as a handy reference guide.
Old October 5, 2006, 12:00 AM   #19
Smokey Joe

Best book

ITETO--Best book for the beginning reloader is without a doubt The ABC's of Reloading! It is considered the standard textbook on the subject. This is not a loading manual (you'll need at least one of those, too!) rather it is a how-to and more importantly why-and-why-not-to kind of book. Get it from yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order from Krause Publishing www.krause.com They must be doing something right; the book is in its 7th edition.

And +1 on Rwilson's comment,
Quote:
You are wise to read up on the subject before jumping in.
I whish there had been all the books availble nowadays, when I started. Would have saved me more than a few oopses.

--Smokey Joe
Old October 5, 2006, 04:59 PM   #20
caz223

+1 on the abcs of reloading.
It was it the 4th edition when I picked one up.
Remember, all the brass prep they do for rifle, isn't necessary for straight wall pistol.
Old October 11, 2006, 12:11 AM   #21
Clark

I have ~50 reloading manuals, but do not use them much any more.

For my ~60 calibers, I mostly make up my own loads, using Quickload software.

Of the books, I like the Sierra for rifles, and for handguns, I like the free data from the powder sellers and re-sellers.