The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 27, 2004, 08:02 AM   #1
Red Dot

11-87 Magazine tube came out of receiver

Hello All,
I was out on the trap range today shooting my 11-87 Sporting Clays when the action locked up. I couldn't pull the bolt back and I noticed that the barrel had moved forward from the receiver about 1/4". Upon pulling the trigger group out and removing the action bar assembly & bolt, I saw that the mag tube had disconnected itself from the receiver. Not good!
It looks as if this part is silver soldered in at the factory before the receiver is blued. My question is can I use a Loctite product or epoxy to resecure the mag tube into the receiver instead of silver solder? Does anyone know of any other product which I can use to put this back together?

See ya,
Red Dot
Old October 27, 2004, 06:09 PM   #2
PzB41

Mag tube repair

Hi Red Dot,

Sorry to hear about the mag tube coming out at an inopportune time.

Hate to say it, but that mag tube is silver-soldered in for a reason. If they could have gotten away with a binary epoxy or something from Devcon at the factory, they would have. Cheaper to glue it in instead of sliver soldering it.

Either have a pro in your area who has Remington's blessing silver solder it back in place, or send it back to the factory to be repaired. No other way around it.

Pz

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering
Old October 27, 2004, 06:51 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Remington brazes their mag tubes in place with a brass based brazing compound.

There is nothing that will secure the tube that will stand up to shooting.

This is NOT a job for the average local gunsmith, since there are issues with getting the tube properly positioned, straight, and properly aligned.

Before it can be re-brazed, the ejector assembly and the shell releases will have to be removed.

Also, there are problems with protecting the receiver's heat treating.

Remington will reattach the tube and refinish your receiver.

I'd guess that this will be a free repair, since a loose tube is a sure sign of a defective assembly from the get-go.
Old October 27, 2004, 08:28 PM   #4
PzB41

Remingtons

You're right.. they do braze them in instead of sliver soldering them. Guess my pain meds are making me fuzzy. Still, we agree on the whole "can I just glue it in?" thing. Very bad idea.

Thing I dislike the most about Remington shotguns is the ejector and the ejector rivet. They put this crummy stamped thing in there to act as an ejector, and if it breaks, which happens too damn often for my liking, it has to go back to the factory to get replaced. I had a long talk with the Remington Service Shop one afternoon about the problem, the end result being they sent me a bag of rivets and ejectors to play with. Lucky for me I had a couple of junked shotguns laying around to practice on. It ain't easy. No way can a smithy make money replacing those things.

I never understood why they didn't just replace the rivet with a dome head screw arrangement and be done with it, as often as the ejector breaks. A drop of red locktite and you're done. But then, Remington likes stamped ejectors and extractors for some reason I've never been able to figure out (unless it's budget-related).

Pz

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering