The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 4, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Newton24b

exotic shotgun ammo testing

ive seen online testing of the exotic shotgun ammo like birdbombs, etc over open fields, but has anyone links to were the exotic stuff was tested on gelatin?
Old July 4, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Are you being overrun by gelatin?
Old July 5, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
olddrum1

one never knows when Bill Cosby will come crashing through your door in the middle of the night with a box full of Jello pops!!!!
Old July 5, 2009, 08:09 AM   #4
.45 COLT

By testing 'Exotic Ammunition', I'm guessing you mean stuff like "Centurion", "Pit Bull", "Rhodesian Jungle" and similar, right? Kid of hard to test "Bird Bombs" or "Dragon's Breath" on any type of medium.

The fancy-named stuff is just a mixture of Buckshot and various larger round balls. I think the Rhodesian Jungle junk is Birdshot and a few Buck, I disremember exactly. The Buck and Birdshot penetration is documented pretty well, although I serious doubt the value of Gelatin. The larger balls will penetrate more deeply (of course). Buckshot is just Buckshot, no matter what it's called. There is also a computer program that will calculate gelatin penetration, but one's testing things himself would, in my opinion, be more useful than any calculation.

The 'Exotic' crap is mainly designed to seperate you from your money. Its penetration is not normally a problem, the real test would be where it puts its various components - pattern. I've seen Pit Bull loaded in three different configurations - two guaranteed to splash Buckshot unpredictably, the third some better but still not real great. When you buy it, which will you get? Purely a crapshoot.

My opinion, which may or may not be worth something, is to save your money and leave that stuff alone. If you have a craving for good Buck and Ball loads, learn to reload and make your own.

DC
Old July 7, 2009, 01:35 AM   #5
.351winchester

Quote:
one never knows when Bill Cosby will come crashing through your door in the middle of the night with a box full of Jello pops!!!!
LOL

I thought "Bird Bombs" are now NFA DD? Or soon to be?

Is there documented results of a 'bolo' round performing as the mind imagines?
Old July 7, 2009, 11:38 PM   #6
olddrum1

We have had Civil war action in our area. I bave seen some of the shot that is wired together that came from the end of a cannon, I can see how it would ruin someones day.
Old July 8, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Superhouse 15

This is the video you're looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ievbU3xIYGQ
Old July 8, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
SamStafford

Whoo boy, those are some scary 12 ga rounds. I would hate to see person hit with a Bolo round.
Old July 8, 2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Housezealot

Quote:
I thought "Bird Bombs" are now NFA DD? Or soon to be?
I havent looked at the local gunshop for a few bucks a months but they used to sell bird bombs for about $9 for a three pack, they are a blast!
when I was a kid my dad had a flare gun I used to shoot them out of, looking back the practice seems insane.
as an adult I have had some detonate just out of the barrel of my shotgun
and a one that went off in the barrel.
the thought of one going off a couple of inches out of the barrel of a plastic flare gun...............
Old July 8, 2009, 01:41 PM   #10
kurgen99

That youtube video is very informative.

I love the slugs at 50 yards. I wonder if that is a stock barrel?