The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2006, 08:04 PM   #1
SpyderMan2k4

experimenting with different amounts of powder...

Hey everyone,

Well, after a little trial and error, I have figured out how to reload reliable ammo for my pistol (XD 45 4inch). I had some problems before with ammo feeding (which I believe was because of overcrimping), but also thought it could have been too little powder (the minimum suggested) to blow it back, so now I'm using a mid amount, 5.5 grains of No. 2 Improved (for a 200 grain RN, the min is 5.2 and the max is 5.8). Since now I've finally figured out the right seating depth and crimp, it's time I make some small batches of different powder weights to see what is the most consistent and accurate.

Right now with 5.5 grains, I've been consistently shooting 1.25 inch groups at 10 yards, and today I tried 15 yard, where I shot about a 1.5 inch group (while standing). Not that I'm unsatisfied, but I want to find the best combination I can. Now my question is this... when testing the different loads, obvsiouly I'm going to use a bench rest to ensure the best results. Bue for a pistol (45acp), what's the best distance to test this at? I worry if I go too close (10 yards), I might not be able to tell the differences in consistency. So.. 15? 20? 25 yards? Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Old October 10, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Bud Helms

72.35 feet.
Old October 10, 2006, 08:36 PM   #3
azredhawk44

I have a hard time keeping a 4" group with a 2 hand weaver stance at 25 yards. Do you have a ransom rest or some sort of good rest to use? If not, and you're just resting the muzzle on some sandbags, I'd suggest closer... like 15 yards.

Just my opinion.
Old October 10, 2006, 09:17 PM   #4
SpyderMan2k4

Alright... I don't have a real good rest, just sandbags
Old October 11, 2006, 12:15 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

It's hard to beat a sand bag as a rest. Taper crimp only for the .45 ACP. Just enough to hold the bullet in place. If you're shooting in competitions, sight in fixed sights for the longest distance. For bullseye shooting with adjustable sights, sight in for the range you're shooting. Usually 25 yards, if you don't do the 50 yard match.