The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
stargazer65

Car stolen with CCW inside

Just another reason not to leave your CCW sitting in the car:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11276905

I was concerned about this very thing happening to me, that's why I've never left in the car. At least this turned out OK. It doesn't specifically say in the article where in the car the gun was, or what condition it was in. It may have been unloaded and locked in a container, or it could have been ready for use.

If you absolutely have to leave your CCW in the car, what do you do with it?
Old June 23, 2010, 03:36 PM   #2
GUNSITE

There is NO safer place to keep your weapon THAN on your Hip. I was never big on individuals keeping weapons in their car, and i know many... many police officers who had their weapon and ID stolen due to a break-in of their vehicle or vehicle theft.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:40 PM   #3
booker_t

If you have to leave a gun in the car, put it in in the trunk, ideally with a trigger lock installed. Plus in a locked case. If it's a rifle, bolt removed. If it's a handgun and with ammo in the car as well, field strip it.

In the unlikely event that the car is stolen or broken into, at least the weapon isn't immediately usable.
Old June 23, 2010, 04:38 PM   #4
stephen426

Its funny that you mentioned putting a gun in the trunk. I remember reading in some gun magazine that a guy was car jacked and thrown into the trunk. He happened to have two guns in the trunk. When the car jackers opened the trunk, he opened fire on them. I forgot whether or not the shots were fatal, but I remember keeping an extra gun in the trunk after that (stored away in a little hiding place).

In South Florida, car break-ins are not uncommon. If you really must leave a firearm in the car (work requirements), I suggest you consider a lock box of some sort that can be securely attached to the car.
Old June 23, 2010, 05:38 PM   #5
QuarterHorse

That's the reason I've never kept one in the car/truck. I thought I was the minority as I read a LOT of people that CC also leave one in a car. Not for me I suppose.
Old June 23, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Nnobby45

Quote:
There is NO safer place to keep your weapon THAN on your Hip. I was never big on individuals keeping weapons in their car, and i know many
True, but not really enlightening.

Some people talk as if there were no such thing as places where YOU AREN'T ALLOWED TO BE ARMED. Yes, I leave my gun in the car---because I have to, and so would anyone else who follows the law.

My lock box was made specifically to secure a weapon.

Yes, I know, if the thief had cable cutters, he'd have lock box, gun and all.

A smash and grab car burglar wouldn't get it.

If my car was stolen, he'd have my name, address, garage door opener, and gun--but only on those RARE occasions where it's NECESSARY to secure my weapon in the car before rearming immediately upon my return.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-00450062296...roduct-reviews

I have an older model with just a key. Works fine as long as you don't try to cram it too full with mags. so you interfere with the lock lever.

And, they do make more secure safes than can be bolted to the floor. I'm still considering such a device.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by Nnobby45; June 23, 2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

I've got this one, but I paid less than this for it and that was at my local range! It works fine for any of my carry guns, but a stretch to contain both primary and BUG. I've done it, though, on several occasions.

Secure-It
Old June 23, 2010, 08:51 PM   #8
DonutGuy

Quote:
There is NO safer place to keep your weapon THAN on your Hip.
unless you're going somewhere that strictly forbids it. Sometimes you either not carry or leave it in the car....or suffer the consequences.
Old June 23, 2010, 09:36 PM   #9
stargazer65

A lockbox would be sufficient to keep a NWCJ from using it in the short term, at least in my experience. I wonder if the news neglected to mention that this guys gun was locked up... or was it really out in the open and accessible for someone to use?
Old June 23, 2010, 11:23 PM   #10
fastforty

Cable lock dropped through an open action, secured under the seat.
Old June 23, 2010, 11:35 PM   #11
booker_t

Interesting.. Cabela's product photographer has a Bereta Cougar 8000 in the case for demonstration. Don't see too many of those around.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Morgoroth

I was doing a state inspection on a car once and was surprised to find a HG in the glove box when I went to look for the registration.

The best part is that the owner was someone I would have never expected to have a gun.
Old June 24, 2010, 08:16 AM   #13
45Gunner

A friend just installed a lock box in his car. He drilled two holes thru the floor board and installed a u-bolt around a frame member of the body which came back up into the lock box. He installed the nuts so that they were in the lock box and then cut off the excess, after lock-titing the nuts. I think he said he installed the lock box in the center console so it is out of sight. The car would have to be stolen and then the box would have to be cut out of the car.

It protects his gun from a smash and grab...or whatever valuables he may have to leave in his car. I am not a proponent of leaving guns in cars but there are times, such as going to a school event, where one has no choice, other than to leave the gun at home.
NRA Life Member
Old June 24, 2010, 08:23 AM   #14
ZeSpectre

See this post for something I've done before.

Mostly this comes into play at the post office <sigh>.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; June 24, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:05 AM   #15
JPINTO

I like the post that states :The best place to store a gun in on your hip" that is obviously the gospel however as an alternative cabling a gun thru the trigger hole, "unloaded of coarse" and thru the lug nut hole of the spare tire. Kind of like the restroom key at the gas station tied to the 2x4. I alway keep my magazines in my pocket regardless.. I'd like to see some crook trying to conceal my pistol with a 265/70 R16 attached
Old June 24, 2010, 09:06 AM   #16
wrt81

I also have one of the Secure-It boxes with the cable. I agree that in a perfect world I wouldn't have to leave it in the vehicle at all. However, sometimes you can't carry all the places you'd like to.

Luckily, on July 1st when the law in Virginia changes allowing concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, I'll have to leave it in the truck a lot less.
Old June 24, 2010, 09:13 AM   #17
JPINTO

wrt81 - What is the rational behind not CCW a gun in a restaurant that serves alchohol ?? I'm glad it going away .. Like a mad drunk can go out to his car to get his gun !! I'm in Vermont and I'm sure you are aware of our CCW laws... Leaving a gun in a car is just a plain bad idea.. Have a great day all...
Old June 24, 2010, 11:18 AM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

The problem with blanket pronouncements against leaving the gun in the car is that many states have prohibited locations.

Thus, if you don't leave it in the car, then you are disarmed for the whole day. That is unacceptable to many.

After all, many of you leave guns in the house when you go to work. Houses can be broken into. Gun safes have been wheeled away. Happened in a nearby neighborhood. Local youth had determined who had safes. Then when said owner was out, came up with a van, dolly and overalls and just wheeled it out. Looked like service people. Oops!
Old June 24, 2010, 12:30 PM   #19
wrt81

Quote:
wrt81 - What is the rational behind not CCW a gun in a restaurant that serves alchohol ?? I'm glad it going away .. Like a mad drunk can go out to his car to get his gun !! I'm in Vermont and I'm sure you are aware of our CCW laws... Leaving a gun in a car is just a plain bad idea.. Have a great day all...
Not sure what the rational behind no CC in a restaurant was...but then again what's the rational for the majority of gun control laws anyway?

The funny/odd part is that you could still open carry (and drink), just no concealed carry. On July 1st the law is changing so that you can carry concealed, but still cannot drink...unless you open carry.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #20
wrt81

Quote:
The problem with blanket pronouncements against leaving the gun in the car is that many states have prohibited locations.

Thus, if you don't leave it in the car, then you are disarmed for the whole day. That is unacceptable to many.
Exactly. I'd rather carry 95% of my day than not at all.
Old June 24, 2010, 01:14 PM   #21
JPINTO

Glenn - I share your thoughts. I have a safe (bolted to the floor) and home alarm system. I had heard of someone walking off with a safe so I even opted for a proximity sensor tied to the alarm system. If anyone get mine (I not posting a challenge) I'll report
Old June 24, 2010, 01:22 PM   #22
The Great Mahoo

I don't leave a gun in my car unless I have to leave my carry gun behind for a stop somewhere it is prohibited. For just such occassions, I keep a vehicle-lock box tethered under my seat. I just pull it out onto my lap, open it up, drop my gun and spare ammo in and lock it up before sliding it back under the seat out of sight. Far from perfect, but will slows down anyone who might rifle through my car from getting my gun easily.
Old June 24, 2010, 02:11 PM   #23
JPINTO

Mahoo -

Had to laugh a bit - I went to your reference web site for the safe (http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm) and the last line in the specs states "Meets Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines for transporting your weapon in your checked luggage when flying." I don't know about you but I have a hard time getting my luggage back with my shampoo and aftershave. Can't imagine some guy "examining" my luggage and resisting the urge to miss place my gun safe.. Sorry TSA nothing personal !!!
Old June 24, 2010, 06:46 PM   #24
pax

Deleted a couple. If yours was one & you wonder why, feel free to drop me a PM. If you've already figured it out, no worries.

pax
Old June 24, 2010, 10:28 PM   #25
QuarterHorse

I guess I've never thought about driving someplace that doesn't allow (I don't go to many if any places that it's not legal to) but can see the point. I've gone once or twice to places I can't and I carry a small folding knife which is legal, or I don't mind all too much if my truck was broken into and stolen.

I will probably look into a truck safe though, as it's not a horrible idea, and the worst case scenario isn't all that likely (around here anyway).

Keep the links coming for good concealable truck safes fellas!

I'm all for debating, but lets keep things clean. We all share a common interest, no reason for attacking if that's what's going on.