The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 1, 2007, 12:10 PM   #1
MyGunsJammed

Robbery in progress at your house, and you're in your underwear???

I read this post over on the car forum I'm always on:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpos...99&postcount=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of Saturdays ago, I was woken up @ 7am, with the EVo alarm going off, looking out my bedroom window, I saw a tall skinny guy in the passenger side.

I sprang up, grabbed the Glock & ran out the house in my undies waving the gun.

He saw me & ran, I chased him down to his Minivan, yup, waving the gun & in only my undies.

He didn't get anything, but broke the passenger door. This is the 3rd time the EVO has been broken into, & we're really thinking about selling it.

Watch out, for a White I believe Doge Caravan with black bumpers.

Oh, I installed a 6 camera video system with night vision, & now keep the Glock next to the bed & not in the gun safe, next time, he will get shot.

How would you guys have handled the situation???? Discuss.....

Last edited by MyGunsJammed; December 1, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Jay1958

Since I wear Calvin Klein underwear, I usually don't wear pants anyway. I want everyone to see how trendy my skivvies are. But you meant tactically...

I would have been helpless tactically, since I don't own a Glock. Or a Ferrari. An 'Evo' is a Ferrari, right? But I know what you're thinking. How can a guy who wears Calvin Klein underwear and no pants NOT own a Ferrari?

Seriously, it sounds like a vehicle break-in, attempted car theft, NOT a "robbery in progress".
Old December 1, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3
MyGunsJammed

hahaha too funny, no an EVO is not a Ferrari...its a sports sedan made by Mitsubishi....

but anyhow, tactically I was wondering if the guy did the right thing by letting the guy live for breaking into his car on his property??

I'll play devils advocate here.... If my house/car was broken into, and if I was licensed to have a pistol, I probably would have tried to sneak up on the guy and shoot him dead point blank range, as long as he was on my property and actually in the act of burglary....

ok you mention "attempted car theft" to me thats robbery....trying to steal something that belongs to me....while its on my property...so shouldnt I be entitled to protect my property?
Old December 1, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
SGHOTH

The law varies a lot from state to state. In some areas lethal force is only allowed if your life is in danger. Other states have a duty to retreat requirement. Still other states allow you to defend your property.

Additionally there are different regulations for inside and outside your home. You need to check your local laws for the correct legal answer. The correct moral answer depends on your values. In many locations if you were to shoot someone breaking into your car you would be charged. I think NY would not look kindly to firing on someone in the scenario you outlined.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Hammer1

The story used to go around that in Nebraska you can shoot to protect yourself, your loved ones, your friends, your property, and your honor.

Think this story was spread my Okies.
Old December 1, 2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Yellowfin

What is the most tactically advantageous brand and style of underwear for such scenarios? I honestly haven't ever looked at my choice of underwear from the tactical perspective.

Last edited by Yellowfin; December 1, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:14 PM   #7
Jay1958

You must be a newbie to have asked THAT question!

The OBVIOUS answer is 5.11, followed closely by UnderArmor! Of course, the wannabes and posers are mostly wearing Magills.

<just kidding, had to razz my friends who are Magills fans>

Quote:
"What is the most tactically advantageous brand and style of underwear for such scenarios?"
Old December 1, 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Jay1958

robbery: various "dictionary" definitions

-- larceny by threat of violence
-- unlawful taking or attempted taking of property that is in the immediate possession of another by force or the threat of force
-- felonious appropriation of property by means of personal violence, or through the threat of personal violence
-- taking anything of value from any person by force, threat of force, or violence
-- the taking of some item(s), while a person is being threatened with a weapon (knife, gun, club, etc)
-- the unlawful taking of anything of value by force or threat of force

There would seem to me to be no violence or threat of violence if someone is in your driveway trying to steal your car, and believes that no one is aware of their presence, especially in the absence of any visible weapons.

Quote:
...ok you mention "attempted car theft" to me thats robbery....trying to steal something that belongs to me....while its on my property...
Old December 1, 2007, 01:57 PM   #9
BillCA

SGHOTH nailed it with regards to the legalities.

Quote:
tactically I was wondering if the guy did the right thing by letting the guy live for breaking into his car on his property??
Ask yourself which you'd rather do...
1. Shoot the guy by the car, spend 8+ hours with the cops, your attorney and a prosecutor, paying someone to blot the deceased's brains out of your seats and repaint the car and pay a civil attorney to handle the wrongful-death civil suit against you... face criminal charges for reckless manslaughter, spend 3 year in jail plus the civil suit...

OR
2. Light the guy up from your window with a bright flashlight, scream "Don't Move! Put up your hands" and when he flees scream "I'll shoot your a** next time!" at his back, call the cops, get dressed, check the damage with the cops, secure the car, go to bed and call the insurance company in the morning safe in the knowledge that the would-be thief is unlikely to come back.

Tactically, the guy was stupid. Not only did he put himself at greater risk of injury, but he failed to don any sort of protective clothing. He also left the area of the crime "in pursuit" of a criminal who'd "given up the attempt" to commit a property crime.

In some states, leaving a protected area (house, apartment) to confront the person over a property crime and then shooting him will land you in jail. Self-defense doesn't play in this case as you put yourself in greater danger.

Someone breaking into your car (or even your house) who flees down the street when confronted has "ceased his illegal activities" and his flight indicates "no willingness for a confrontation or capture". If you chase him down the street to his car, then threaten to shoot him, you may be deemed the aggressor. The further you chase him, the more likely that is. Even in states that allow you to protect your property, once he leaves the scene, he no longer poses a threat to you or your property.
Old December 1, 2007, 01:57 PM   #10
rampage841512

I would have run outside in my undies to stop the guy, but with a 20 ga. pump action winchester shotgun. If he ran I'd get description of him/his vehicle and call the police. I ambushed a guy in my undies with that shotgun once before when he thought he could make off with one of my atv's. He decided running surrender was a better choice than running.
Old December 1, 2007, 03:06 PM   #11
MyGunsJammed

Thanks guys for your input......

In the heat of the moment a gun/homeowner must make quick and wise decisions as to how to handle the situation. All too often if we are angry, upset, and feel violated its all to easy to reach for the gun to use it....but one must think of the legal consequences of his actions....

and I think one of the posters made a good point about self defense while being threatened.... so yes using excessive force is something a home owner must be sure not to use too much of.

Anyhow I hope that in this case with the car owner in Tacoma, WA I hope that the theif wont ever try to come back again....
Old December 1, 2007, 03:36 PM   #12
TBR
Registration in progress

"An 'Evo' is a Ferrari, right?" (don't know how to work quotes)

The Ferrari FXX is known as the "Evo", But I think this guy was talking about a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution- evo short for evolution. If he owned a Ferrari I would expect him to run out with something much more expensive than a GLOCK, Like a minigun strapped around his waist. (NOT bashing glocks at all,From what I've seen, they are fantastic shooters)

But, Back on topic, if someone was breaking into my vehicle/house, I would go out naked if I had to. I don't know if I would shoot the guy if he was *just* breaking into my car, as my life would not be in threat... Don't know how shooting someone in that situation would hold in court. If he pulled out a weapon and threatned me, yes I would shoot. If he turned and ran, I would attempt to tackle and hold him for police, but then again, if it came to a struggle he may take my weapon away, and shoot me! Now that I think about it, I would do as another poster said and just shine a light in his face, let him know i was armed, and if he ran away scream "NEXT TIME I'LL SHOOT YOU ON SIGHT!"
Old December 1, 2007, 04:13 PM   #13
BillCA

Quote:
But, Back on topic, if someone was breaking into my vehicle/house, I would go out naked if I had to. I don't know if I would shoot the guy if he was *just* breaking into my car, as my life would not be in threat... Don't know how shooting someone in that situation would hold in court. If he pulled out a weapon and threatned me, yes I would shoot.
Tennesse law is probably different, but in many states, even if the guy threatened you with a weapon once you were outside, prosecutors may deny you a self-defense argument. This would be based on intentionally placing yourself in jepoardy instead of remaining in a "safer" location.
Old December 1, 2007, 04:32 PM   #14
VonFireball

What would I have done?????? Probably the same thing as dude....

That scenario will never creep on me cause I sleep in my street clothes, changing only after I shower each morning.

That is what I call Tactical.
Old December 1, 2007, 05:33 PM   #15
animal

For those of us who sleep nude, the "tactical" approach is to rush quickly out ... gaining surprise when the BG is distracted by our enormous manhood.

Last edited by animal; December 1, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old December 1, 2007, 06:28 PM   #16
workinwifdakids

That's right, man.

You go out in your underwear, you're likely to get tossed in jail for carrying a concealed rape weapon.

Your best advice is to go commando. They won't even notice the firearm.

Old December 1, 2007, 07:02 PM   #17
Tanzer

Two exclusive issues here. What you're wearing has little to do with what you do. This guy could have been in Armony suit or panty hose - no difference tactically.
Quote:
He also left the area of the crime "in pursuit" of a criminal who'd "given up the attempt" to commit a property crime.
Here in RI, that makes all the difference in the world.
Old December 1, 2007, 09:20 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...tactically I was wondering if the guy did the right thing by letting the guy live for breaking into his car on his property??
It's rare that you can legally use deadly force in property crimes.

In a very few states (maybe only one) you could go outside armed and try to stop the crime and if there were no other way to prevent the loss of property without exposing yourself to grave danger you could, in some instances, use deadly force to prevent property damage or loss even if you were not being attacked.

In some states you could go outside armed and try to stop the crime but you wouldn't be justified in responding with deadly force unless you were attacked. Then the deadly force would be being used in self-defense, not to protect property.

In some states if you left your house and tried to stop a crime, you would have instigated a confrontation. That creates a situation where your use of deadly force may be legally restricted even if the criminal attacks you.

It all depends on where you are and I'm sure that the three scenarios above don't cover all the possibilities. Every gun owner has a responsibility to learn the laws in his area.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:03 AM   #19
sw_florida

Putting on a steering wheel lock could dampen the interest.
Old December 2, 2007, 08:27 AM   #20
MyGunsJammed

sw_florida Putting on a steering wheel lock could dampen the interest.

or buying a rust bucket for a car, and leave the nice car in the garage locked...
Old December 2, 2007, 10:25 AM   #21
katana8869

Quote:
For those of us who sleep nude, the "tactical" approach is to rush quickly out ... gaining surprise when the BG is distracted by our enormous manhood.
In Fl, your "weapon" has to remain concealed. I'd recommend throwing on a Smartcarry first. Besides, where else are you gonna stow a spare magazine?
Old December 2, 2007, 12:17 PM   #22
Jay1958

There again, it depends on the situation!

How cold is it? If you go out wearing nothing but underwear and it 15 degrees F outside, you will be at a disadvantage!

We have a gravel driveway. If I run outside barefooted and have a need to leave the sidewalk and grass and go out into the gravel - disadvantage! Apartment dwellers or those in urban areas might be at a disadvantage running outside barefoot due to the possibility of broken glass, or other 'foot hazards'.

So while your comment might hold true in many cases, it serves to show that in self-defense situations, 'one size NEVER fits all'.

Quote:
What you're wearing has little to do with what you do. This guy could have been in Armony suit or panty hose - no difference tactically.
Old December 2, 2007, 12:36 PM   #23
theberettaman

Buck naked and blasting is the way I roll!
Seriously,if someone was breaking into my cars,he's got a long way to go to get back to a car parked on the street.He's pretty much either dead,or after I wound him,subdue him,nurse him back to health,and torture him in my barn for a couple months,he'll wish he was dead.
Old December 2, 2007, 03:06 PM   #24
MortalWombat

I would stay in bed and let my trunk monkey handle things.
Old December 2, 2007, 03:28 PM   #25
MyGunsJammed

theberettaman Buck naked and blasting is the way I roll!
Seriously,if someone was breaking into my cars,he's got a long way to go to get back to a car parked on the street.He's pretty much either dead,or after I wound him,subdue him,nurse him back to health,and torture him in my barn for a couple months,he'll wish he was dead.

Some of us are not fortunate enough to own a barn with lots of acreage
Closed Thread