The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #1
justplainpossum

Time for a trade! Would love some suggestions.

I've decided to trade in my Ruger Security Six six inch barrel .357 magnum, and get another .357 that might fit my hand better, or perhaps a .38. I'm going to the range so that I can try as many as they have available.

Are there any particular ones ya'll would recommend I ask to try? With the .357 that I have now, the metal frame is right up against the skin between my thumb and pointing finger, and it rips the skin off with magnum loads. I don't want to have to shoot with gloves on! It's a wonderful gun, but I think, maybe not for me. I'm hoping I can handle the higher loads if the gun fits right, so I'll try the .357's first. I'm excited to see what they have!
Old March 7, 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Ferretboy

Cant you change the grip to something that would protect your hand better as opposed to getting rid of a great gun?

If you like Rugers the GP-100 has a nice Hogue grip standard. I have the 6" and even though I changed it to the classic wood panel grips, its a great gun.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
justplainpossum

It has the wood grip now. Would a different grip change where my hand sits on the gun? Behind the trigger, the metal frame sticks out in a 90 degree angle, and sits right in that space between my thumb and finger on my right hand. I didn't feel it with the .39 loads, but with the magnum -- youch!!
Old March 7, 2013, 05:37 PM   #4
justplainpossum

Oh, I just found this! Is that what you mean? Yes, maybe that would make a difference! The top left is my gun, but I see the one right next to it has a grip that looks like it might take the sting out of the metal. Do you know what kind of grips those are?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwBg&dur=662
Old March 7, 2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Waspinator

I do believe those are Pachmayr Grips (model #03175)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/pachmayr...r-grooves.html

they look nice... not too expensive, so I would give it a chance before getting rid of a nice security six

EDIT... hmmm.... looking at the grips in the picture you provided and the picture of the grips I linked, they look slightly different..... Maybe they were an older model of the grips in the picture? Those are definitely Pachmayr grips in that picture though.. can't mistake the emblem.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
PetahW

You link displays only the issue-gripped Ruger for me.

This is more like what you need - grip material between the steel frame and the web of your hand, that covers the frame's backstrap.

(Herrett's Custom Shooting Master for the Security-Six)

(a lamo grip from Collins Craft)

IIRC, there's a difference in the gripframes, between pre-150 series (SN) and 150-series Ruger Security-Sixes, so you might want to determine which you have prior to ordering any grips.

Old March 7, 2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Ferretboy

I would definetly look into new grips first, rather than get rid of a Security Six.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Cesure

I have Pachmayr grips on my K-frame Smith .357 and they make all the difference. Try to find either the Hogue or Pachmayr grips for your gun and see how they fit.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
justplainpossum

Will do, guys! I'll bring my gun to the store tomorrow, and see if they can refit it!
Old March 8, 2013, 03:01 AM   #10
Chesster

I'd try the pach grips. Your Ruger is too fine a handgun to lose over grips. The factory use to make their own rubber grips and I found them great on my Speed Six.

Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 8, 2013, 03:36 AM   #11
JimmyR

First of all:

DO NOT GET RID OF THAT GUN

unless you want to sell it to me

[/soapbox rant]

Anyways, I had one of those, sold it, and have kicked myself repeatedly since. Houge Monogrips or Pacmyr grips work wonderfully in making that gun much more shootable. Don't make the same mistake I did, keep that gun.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:41 AM   #12
justplainpossum

lol wow! I didn't realize that the Security Six was so well respected, that's good to know. I'll let ya'll know what happens at the store; it's pretty big, so hopefully they have a good selection of grips.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:55 AM   #13
JimmyR

Ruger revolvers are in the upper eschelon, and the Six series are solid, solid pieces. They are drying up, and are getting to the point where you won't be able to find them anymore. You'd be sorry to let it go, I know I am.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Cesure

Quote:
lol wow! I didn't realize that the Security Six was so well respected, that's good to know. I'll let ya'll know what happens at the store; it's pretty big, so hopefully they have a good selection of grips.
If they don't have them, try direct http://www.pachmayr.com/home/revolver-grips.php or midwayusa.com, natchezss.com, brownells.com.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #15
Fender57

I agree with the others, I would hold on to it. It's not worth trading it

I made this mistake a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Don't make the same mistake I made
Old March 8, 2013, 10:31 AM   #16
lcpiper

BTW, Grips sometimes get scruffy looking with age but they usually remain serviceable unless they were abused.

My Local gun shop has a cardboard box on a shelve with dozens of old grips for all kinds of guns. I little bit of looking might yield a lucky find if you check the right places. Check ebay and gunbroker and your local gun shops.

Some grips will change the way your hands wrap up and change the length your trigger sits in relation to your hand. You might have to "reach" a little further with your trigger finger or you might have a wider reach around the grips for your other fingers. Don't get discouraged if the first set isn't a perfect fit for your hand.

And it seems some people love these

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rubsecsixsqu1.html

And the Pachemyer Presentation Series grips.

Last edited by lcpiper; March 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old March 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #17
roaddog28

I will chime in on this thread. You would be making a big mistake trading your Security Six on another gun. In my opinion, the Security Six series is the best double action revolver Ruger ever made. Its getting harder to find them now. I can find more S&W model 19s than Security Sixes. Your problem is getting the correct grips. There are lots of options out there. Even Ruger sells a target wood grip for Security Six. They cost about $16.00 shipped. Check it out on the Ruger site. If you insist on getting rid of the Security Six there are plenty of members on the forum that would gladly re leave you of your problem
Good luck,
Howard
Old March 8, 2013, 12:34 PM   #18
bamaranger

Sec-6

Another vote for hanging onto your Six. I traded one away about 16-17 yrs ago and have regretted it ever since. I just had to have a single action.....you know how that goes.

As was posted, there is a slight frame difference between the very early guns and the later models. There are all manner of assorted grips for the later ones, the early models not so much.

I might add that with .357's, I seldom run them full power. I've likely launched more 158 gr LSWC's at about 1000 fps, than all the other loads and bullet styles out there. Less noise, flash, recoil.....still a useful increase in power over .38's. I don't consider it a SD load, but it is what is in the cylinder when I'm woods roaming, plinking, etc.

My old -6- was one of the early ones, and I used the skimpy service grips as they were less bulky. I shot mostly single action and really didn't mind them, though they were a hindrance to good DA work. That old -6- had the best SA trigger I've ever encountered, ....stock.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #19
lcpiper

For practice the 38SPLs would be good for her but she has been having encounters with wild boar and snakes so I think the recommendations have run something like 2 snake-shot and 4 magnum hard cast loads.

The magnum loads have been hurting her hand so the grip recommendations should help her out with that.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:00 PM   #20
Ferretboy

I piped in first on the thrad so I have first dibs on it if you get rid of it right.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:40 PM   #21
justplainpossum

I got the Pacs today!! They don't exaaactly fit (he said they are secure and fit for the most part, but need to meld together in the front, and will in time with use), but they felt comfortable in the store. Tomorrow I will try them out with the mag loads. I'm excited!
Old March 8, 2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Cesure

Happy shooting.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:46 AM   #23
cecILL

Try some .38s.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:54 AM   #24
model18

Keep it=Do Not Sell........they don't come much better in a revolver. By all means buy something new, but keep the SS
Old March 9, 2013, 06:48 PM   #25
justplainpossum

Here's my Ruger with its new pacs! Thank you everyone for your great advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger and Springfield 004 (800x600) (640x480).jpg (187.8 KB, 33 views)