The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2010, 12:09 AM   #76
OkieCruffler

This has nothing to do with the OP but I knew a man, gone now unfortunately, who had only one shotgun, one gun for that matter. It was an ancient 870. He had a couple of different barrels with it. The one it wore around the house was a handsawn 18" barrel (he said 18, who am I to argue ). This guy hunted everything from woodcock to moose with that old gun, no telling how many tons of shot had gone thru it. Some folks like to have lots of guns around, some make due with just one. Gotta tell you, a few of those old guys with just one are pretty danged scary.
Old June 8, 2010, 01:49 PM   #77
jlv08

All the talk about the Mossbergs have me wanting another one!

I think that it's been a pretty spirited debate and I learn alot from our sharing on these posts.

After all, it's all in good fun .
Old June 8, 2010, 04:31 PM   #78
Willie D

Not sure I want to wade into this but...

I have no experience with the Pardner but I do own a Mossberg Maverick 88 and I've got to say it IS NOT a high quality gun by any stretch of the imagination. Mine had a rather serious problem with not firing that I had to fix myself because the gun was well past its waranty expiration.

Got that squared away and now it functions fine but knowing what I know now I would recommend anyone who asks to save a little more $ and bypass the 88 for the 500, an all around more solid gun.

With regards to Chinese GUNS (not scopes, etc.) they are generally very well built. I'll gladly trade my Maverick for a Norinco or Polytech M14, AK, NDM, Makarov, 1911, Sig copy, CZ copy, etc.

As long as they are copying someone else's design they seem to do fine. Pot metal, they are not.
Old June 8, 2010, 06:17 PM   #79
SoilworK777

Quote:
Pot metal, they are not.
+1 to that. I have a Norinco 982 and it's nice. I doubt anyone putting down the Protector has even held one. I have not held a 590A1, but the 88 and 500 feel dinky compared to the Winchester 1300 and definitely the Remington 870. (In my opinion)Mossbergs are cut corner guns. Even the plastic is rough. Check out an 88 safety. I've seen nicer on $30 BB guns.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:49 PM   #80
OkieCruffler

Quote:
Mine had a rather serious problem with not firing that I had to fix myself because the gun was well past its waranty expiration
Did you buy it used with this condition?
Old June 8, 2010, 08:12 PM   #81
Kmar40

I must admit that the Norinco M14 (or rifles made from a Norinco receiver) does interest me. However, that is because the receiver is forged (vice cast components in a Springfield) and the gun is priced 1/2 to 1/3 of the SA. I've heard of spotty QA with the Norinco too, but replacing the crappy parts (extractors, trigger components, op rod) or even applying a proper HT to the Norinco receiver can still be done while leaving a large chunk of change in your pocket compared to the SA.

BTW, I'm a huge NEF/H&R fan. I love the single shots and the old 9 shot revolvers. Wish I still had my first one single shot.

No Chinese pumps for me however. And you're only saving $20-30 bucks over a 500 and maybe $50 off a real Remington (albeit with more and more cheap crappy chinese components in the Express models.)

500 feels cheap because it's alloy? Basically every new pump or auto made since the 50s (Benelli, Browning, Franchi, FN, Winchester, Beretta, probably more) is alloy. HEAVY doesn't equal strong if the forging, HT, and QA isn't done properly or isn't done at all.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:15 PM   #82
SoilworK777

FYI it's not $20-$30 bucks, or even $50. Try $100-$125 for a similarly equipped 870 Express. And that's WITHOUT the slick Ghost Rings my 982 has. Google it.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:37 PM   #83
MAX100

Quote:
No Chinese pumps for me however. And you're only saving $20-30 bucks over a 500 and maybe $50 off a real Remington (albeit with more and more cheap crappy chinese components in the Express models.)
In the case of the Hawk Ind made pumps there aren't any cheap parts. The 870 Express is the one that has the cheaper parts and finish. That is what makes the Pardner pump and Hawk 982 a hell of a deal. You can also add the Savage Stevens 350 Ithaca 37 copy. It's very well made

GC
Old June 8, 2010, 10:42 PM   #84
Willie D

OkieCruffler: The gun came with my wife. She bought it for HD before we met but never bothered to test fire it. Fortunately, she never needed to use it: it might have gone 'click' instead of 'boom' at an inopportune time.

To be fair I think this problem probably only affected a small amount of guns but reading stuff around the web convinced me it wasn't only my gun.

Thread about my gun here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349570
Old June 8, 2010, 10:57 PM   #85
OkieCruffler

I forget, some people buy guns and years pass before they fire them. I've been known to buy contender barrels and it will take a year or so, sometimes I even sell them unfired, but a whole gun, the idea is just so alien.
Old June 9, 2010, 06:12 PM   #86
Georgian

In response to zippy13

Yes, I do have 2 shotguns that can fill a HD role, but you know I just happen to like shotguns....much more so than my rifles or my handguns. I wouldn't frequent this sub-forum if I did not. On that note, no I have no proper training on a shotgun, or any certificates from attending any shotgunning courses, like you may have. But what I do have is experience with them, almost 13 years worth, since I was given my first shotgun by my grandfather, which was a single-shot 20GA H&R Model 58. Awesome little shotgun, and still works like a charm. I have never claimed to be an ''expert", nor do I know everything about shotguns....heck I've never even shot trap. But what I do know is that I enjoy firearms, specifically shotguns, just like some people may enjoy fixing up old cars. Would you say the same to someone who owned 20 classic cars? I think not.So with that note, I think if I or anyone else has the want to buy another shotgun or any firearm for that matter, for a HD role or sporting role, or any role, its THEIR choice to make, with THEIR hard earned money.

God Bless
Old June 9, 2010, 11:20 PM   #87
zippy13

Georgian,
You'll no get argument from me, it's your money and your choice. I was just suggesting an alternative while trying to distract the thread from the China bashing. Please, don't get upset when you open a thread with, "Does anyone have any guidance for me?" if all the answers aren't what you anticipated.

A far as the 20 classic cars are concerned… yes, I'm thinking the fellow down the street might have made a better choice than acquiring a collection of Edsels (Ford's flop of the late 1950s) to just watch them weather. And, if he asked my opinion, as you did, about getting another one, I'd suggest that he consider broadening his horizons, too.

Good luck and enjoy your next purchase.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:32 PM   #88
OkieCruffler

What was the question again?
Old June 10, 2010, 05:12 PM   #89
nefprotector

is curious why this thread hasnt been closed yet.......
Old June 11, 2010, 12:29 PM   #90
jlv08

Well, I guess because it's an issue that evokes passion from posters, pro and con, and I assume we will all just be worn out from talking this thing to death.

Kinda like the Eveready Bunny....
Old June 11, 2010, 12:51 PM   #91
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefprotector
…why this thread hasnt been closed…
Perhaps a natural conclusion would be if the OP announced he'd made his decision, and why -- followed by a field report on his new gun's performance.
Old June 12, 2010, 09:53 AM   #92
Jermz1987

I own a Maverick 88 and I love it. It was my first shotgun. I have had for about a year now with about 300 shells through it of various brands. No problems here. Its very light so it kicks like a mule. All things considered its not a bad shotgun for 189.00
Old June 24, 2010, 06:44 PM   #93
nefprotector

is wishing that I had bought the Maverick now! after about a thousand rounds of freaking birdshot mine hasnt worked right since. And whoever said that the NEF was the Hi Point of the Shotgun world. Well You're right about that. Maybe the Kel Tec of the shotgun world.
Old June 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #94
MAX100

Quote:
is wishing that I had bought the Maverick now! after about a thousand rounds of freaking birdshot mine hasnt worked right since. And whoever said that the NEF was the Hi Point of the Shotgun world. Well You're right about that. Maybe the Kel Tec of the shotgun world.
You didn't say what the problem is. Probably something miner.

GC
Old June 25, 2010, 10:32 AM   #95
nefprotector

My NEF is jamming from the bottom. Locks everything up. I have pics but cant figure out how to upload them here. So any info as to how to upload for dummies would be Greatly Appreciated. I have replaced the mag tube spring with a universal Wolff spring, New Remington follower, I have tried all brands of shells. This thing jams on the last two rounds no matter how many I load it up with. 3 or 6 rds. And for the 3 in mags? For get it! It's like it is trying to push two shells out of the mag tube and jams the gun up. The brass on the shells are pretty much scared up too.
Old June 25, 2010, 01:48 PM   #96
MAX100

Join Photo Bucket it's free. Download your pictures there then you can download them here by copy paste and clicking on the pic icon at the top of the page here. It's easy. You need to reduce the size of the picture a lot before you download it here. You need software on your computer that can do that. You can do it at Photo Bucket as well I believe.

GC
Old June 25, 2010, 03:49 PM   #97
nefprotector

I have already tried photobucket.com. Let me try something else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mossy 002.jpg (257.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Mossy 003.jpg (269.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Mossy 006.jpg (256.3 KB, 65 views)
Old June 25, 2010, 03:52 PM   #98
nefprotector

Can a shotty be ammo picky too? A friend gave me two boxes of Federal Premium 2 3/4" buckshot. So far so good.
Old June 26, 2010, 08:41 AM   #99
Spur0701

Assuming your looking at pumps and not semi-autos, the basic choices are 870 or 500 pattern guns.

If money wasn't an option then I would go with the Mossberg 590A1, you're looking at about $550 with ghost ring sights. The consensus seems to be the control placement is better than the 870 (don't have to dislodge the strong hand as much to manipulate the safety and bar release), and although the receiver is aluminum on the 590 it seems to be strong enough and has dual extractors vs the single one of the 870. The 590A1 has a heaver barrel and is constructed differently than the entry level 500's or a Mav 88 clone. In fact was just talking to a local PD yesterday and they want to replace their old 870s which are over 30 years old. Since rebuilding the old 870s would be about $350 they were looking at 590A1s but didn't want to retrain everyone on 500s from 870s.....but buying new 870 Police magnums would be significantly more than 590A1s and that even includes selling off their old 870s to cover part of the cost...they can't decide.

My agency has 870 Police magmuns with Knoxx reduced recoil stocks and rifled sights. I wanted a personal one so that I could train at my leisure at my personal range. I looked at new 870 Polices, new 870 Expresses that I could retrofit, old 870s I could rebuild, etc....decided on a Norinco 870 clone (a Hawk 982) that was already equiped with ghost ring sights and added a Knoxx reduce recoil stock with sling and replaced the sight screws with locktited socket headed hex screws. Given the materials used in the trigger pack of the new 870 compared to the 982, the machined extractor of the 982, the reported extraction problems with some of the new 870 expresses, and finally the price differences......the best bang for the buck was going with the 982, which was about $300 with everything, with the new stock being a third of that. At that price I got two......and while I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through both of them I'm liking the ghost ring sights better than the regular rifled sights on the ones at work.
Old June 26, 2010, 08:47 AM   #100
machoman

Maverick 88 or NEF Pardner Protector?

They are both ok shotguns. The NEF is very close
in design to the good 870

Politics and money aside..I vote for the Pardner Protector.