The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 13, 2014, 07:05 PM   #26
10mm4ever

1911 and SIG 220 in 45 acp and CZ75 and Beretta 92FS in 9mm. While there are others that have earned my respect through the years, nothing will trump those any time soon.
Old April 13, 2014, 07:42 PM   #27
Guv

Don't really care as long as it's not plastic, striker fired, or a Taurus.
Old April 13, 2014, 07:45 PM   #28
Woodslab

Anything that shoots 357 magnum.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:12 PM   #29
Jay24bal

For handguns, I am a semi-auto guy. I do own a few revolvers, but I prefer a semi. I am not brand loyal as I have guns from Sig, Colt, Beretta, Remington, Ruger, Taurus, and even a Hi-Point.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 13, 2014, 10:38 PM   #30
dalegribble

I'm a gun guy but if I had to narrow it down I'm a 1911 guy.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:50 PM   #31
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anything that shoots, even if it won't because I can't get or can't afford the ammo. Not much on air/CO2 guns, though, except for basement fun.

Jim
Old April 13, 2014, 11:11 PM   #32
Sabrewolfe

I like a bit of everything, as long as it is prioritizes function over form. The masterpieces of ingenuity and engineering, new and old, are what rev me up.

That, and pretty much anything that fires a .50BMG or larger. Muwahahahahahahahahahaha.
Old April 13, 2014, 11:20 PM   #33
skizzums

sa/da semi-auto guy, a nine with a hammer and i feel pretty cozy

not a handgun, but also a lever-action lover
Old April 13, 2014, 11:20 PM   #34
passtime

I'm a low maintenance kinda of guy....
Old April 13, 2014, 11:47 PM   #35
ftttu

Looks like I prefer European pistols-mainly Glock, H&K and Sig. I don't think my feelings would ever get hurt if I never fire a revolver again.
Old April 13, 2014, 11:57 PM   #36
Sevens

I'm a few different kinda guys!
I'm a revolver guy a lot of the time, and though I have a Colt, a Taurus, a couple of Rugers and a couple Dan Wessons... I am without a doubt a Smith & Wesson guy. No clue what my next revolver will be, but if you wanna play the odds, there's a 95% chance or better it'll be a S&W. And if it's not obvious, I am a double action revolver guy. Single actions do almost nothing for me, and I hardly ever shoot any of my DA wheelguns that way, either.

I'm a semi-auto guy a lot of the time, and though I have a Ruger P-95 and my EDC is a Glock 29, I am a dyed--in-the-wool anti-tupperware guy. Never say never, of course, but I have no plans to buy any plastic guns. I'd buy one if I had to replace my Glock 29, but bleeccchhh. Tupperware stinks.

I truly enjoy a 1911 and I have a few of them and I shoot 'em well, but as -HUGE- as the 1911 phenomenon has become and is these days, I think it would awfully misleading to describe myself as a "1911 guy." I'm quite certain I'll buy more of these over the years, too.

I'm absolutely, without a doubt, a rimfire handgun guy. And though I would never, ever, EVER answer to anyone looking for a "Colt guy!", you could call me a Woodsman guy and I wouldn't argue a bit.

As it turns out, I'm some kind of a Pachmayr guy. And I'm not sure why... but I like the way they look and I love the way (most of em!) feel in my hands. The percentage of my guns wearing a Pachmayr is probably hard to believe.

In calibers, I love the .38 & .357 and I have since day one. And in my formative years, I'd punch you in the nose if you -EVER- called me a 9mm guy. But somewhere in the last decade, I began having a heckuva lot of fun with 9mm, and I suppose I would answer to such a moniker these days.
But people who know me... know that I'm a 10mm guy.

And while it may be off-topic to state that which is obvious here in the General Handgun Forum, I am a handgun guy through and through and nobody would EVER accuse me of being a rifle guy and I am absolutely not a shotgun guy.

Now if I were to get yelled at for being so many guys... and the playground lady told me that I could be -ONE- guy and no more than that...
...well, I'd be a Handloader. And that one answer would really encapsulate me more than any of the ones I listed above.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:17 AM   #37
Cirdan

I'm a semi-auto guy. Own 5 handguns, 3 9mm, 1 380 mouse gun (LCP), and a 22LR for plinking.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:53 AM   #38
Lucas McCain

I'm a old school gun guy. Circassian and French Walnut and Birdseye maple stocks, maple whiteline with rosewood or ebony end & grip caps, Fine line hand cut checkering, high gloss blueing, bolt actions, hinged floor plates with my initials on them done in sterling silver.
Lever guns, Volcanic Henry, 1866, 1892, 1894, 1886 and pre-war 94's Winneys
S&W Revolvers, J, K and N frames, old Colt SA's. There are only 2 auto pistols worth owning and they are 22 cal. Colt Match Target and a Belgium Browning Challenger. Shotguns are all S X S. and a couple of with old Western Knives and 4 Barlow's.
65 years ago as a young lad in grade school, my dad had a hired man who liked guns and had a outdoor life subscription, he let me read them and there was articles in them about custom guns, with metal work by Beeson and stock work by Fischer, truly a sight to behold those rifles were. They were built for Jack O'connor. I fell in love with those guns and promised myself at a young age that I would own rifles like those one day. I kept my promise to myself and treated myself to several now and well worth the money. They aren't safe queens either, they may show some wear, but that is only a testimony to some special memories for me.
Old April 14, 2014, 04:30 AM   #39
hemiram

At 57, I'm old school. I like STEEL. Heavier the better. I want a hammer on my guns, I tend to like full sized guns over "compacts". DA over SA, but not DAO. Stainless over blued, but blued is ok. No 1911's, ever, no matter how pretty, unless I'm buying it to resell ASAP. In semiautos, I like S&W 3rd gen and CZ 75 and clones over anything else, and in revolvers, my favorites are Dan Wesson and S&W, pre lock.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:16 AM   #40
silvermane_1

well if i was to say that i was a "brand fanboy"it would be Ruger(see my sigline, ) but i do like all kinds of different firearms, old ones, newer ones, bottom feeders, wheelguns. leverguns, boltguns, semi-auto rifles, shotguns.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old April 14, 2014, 05:54 AM   #41
green_MTman

anything savage because there factory in westfield mass is not far from where i grew up.
i consider them the Red Sox of rifle makers
Old April 14, 2014, 05:58 AM   #42
lamarw

A few years back, I heard nothing but raves from Bersa fanboy on numerous forums about how great it was as an inexpensive pistol. I went out and bought one. The Bersa broke the disconnect bar on the second magazine. Cost me over thirty bucks to send it in for repair, and the repair took over a month. I really dislike it.

Heard mixed reviews about the Hi-Points and it predecessor the Haskell. I could not pass on a real cheap Haskell. I ended up liking the Haskell. I use it to test fire all my new .45 ACP reloads. It has never failed on me. I will have to admit when I place it over in the passenger seat of my F-150 it does cause the fasten seat belt light to come on. It is that heavy and there is little felt recoil.
Old April 14, 2014, 06:05 AM   #43
s3779m

Anything from my old rugerp89 to my sig 226 and all the ones in between.(even the taurus 1911, when it is working)
Old April 14, 2014, 07:53 AM   #44
cjr

1911 and s&w m&p pro 9 is my go to gun. Love any miltary type ( Luger, P38 Nambu). Do not like the Glock because it feels like a 2 by four in my hand.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:00 AM   #45
lockedcj7

I like guns with history, class, staying power, etc. I'm not the "latest and greatest" type. I like S&W revolvers without locks and prefer them to be pinned and recessed. I also like Ruger revolvers and .22 autos but I prefer the Six Series. I like major brand autos.

Here is a rundown of some of the makes that I own:
Smith and Wesson
Colt
Ruger
Remington Rand
Browning
Sig
Glock
Old April 14, 2014, 08:21 AM   #46
tahunua001

I'm a springfield and ruger guy.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:36 AM   #47
Magnum Wheel Man

Me, Myself, & I all like different stuff

that said, I more a revolver guy, ( or bolt action, talking rifles ) because I reload almost everything, & I hate picking up the brass... although I have a Taurus TCP in 380 on my belt right now, & have a pretty good collection of CZ's ( & I don't mind shooting autos in non re-loadable cartridges, of both handguns & rifles )

in my revolvers, I own more top break antiques than modern ( because they were cheap to collect, & I enjoy shooting them ) but of guns bought new, I own more Rugers than any other brand, next is S&W, then Taurus, then Dan Wesson, no modern Colts ( I don't dislike Colt )

my bolt rifles, I have more Remington 700's then probably customs, then Rugers, then I have 1 Winchester, no Savages ( I don't dislike Savage )

I'm not much of a shotgun guy... but do shoot my double barrel coach guns quite a bit for CAS... but as cheap as 12 ga is, I don't reload hulls, I do mess with some brass cased shot shells, but mostly for .410, since that is so expensive to shoot

variety is the spice of life

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 14, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:13 AM   #48
Bob Wright

First of all. I dislike the term "guy."

As to my preference towards firearms, I prefer the Single Action revover.

Bob Wright
Old April 14, 2014, 09:40 AM   #49
pete2

I'm and old guy, I like mainly revolvers and 1911s but I'll shoot nearly anything tho not fond of hard kicking rifles.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:32 PM   #50
bbqbob51

Generally, I am a medium caliber guy who prefers .38spl/.357 mag in my revolvers and 9mm in my semi-autos. While I have a few semi auto handguns I seem to gravitate towards revolvers and really like the high capacity revolvers like the 7 shot S&W 686+ and the 10 shot S&W 617. My favorite brand is Smith and Wesson, with 1/3 of my collection made up of Smiths.
My last 3 handgun purchases were a Ruger Single Six with a 9.5" barrel, a 4" 686+, a 6" 617, a 6" 686+ and a Ruger SP101 chambered in 22lr. Revolvers certainly have caught my eye lately.
Even so, I also own two AR-15 rifles and am on the lookout for a nice 1911.
I also like lever action rifles chambered in handgun rounds, cowboy style. I have a Winchester 94 Trapper model chambered in .357mag. I guess it's all good!