The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1
crashxl

Unique 9mm question

So I plan on loading 115fmj with some unique powder. After some research online it seems the favorite load for this combo is 5.5 grains. I checked my Lyman manual and could not find 115fmj in it. I did find this though.

So then I figured I better check in modern reloading by Richard lee. I found this but not sure if it's for fmj, jhp, or both.

Now it's been ten years since I have done any reloading and my grandfather was by side helping back then so go easy on me.

What is with the large variation in powder charges for unique powder?
The max load in the Lyman manual is the starting load in modern reloading.
I would normally just default to my Lyman manual but can't remember if there is a difference between fmj and jhp when loading as long as the weight of the bullet is the same.
Old January 2, 2014, 12:44 AM   #2
Snyper

Quote:
What is with the large variation in powder charges for unique powder?
The variation is likely the result of differents lots of powder and different test guns, and possibly a different brand of casings, although 0.3 grains isn't a huge difference.

Notice the pressures were actually a little less with the heavier loads IN THAT GUN

Reloading manuals aren't "gospel" and really only apply to that particular receiver and barrel.

Some guns may handle more, and some might not handle that much without excess pressure

I've found the majority of semi autos do best with midrange loads most of the time
Old January 2, 2014, 12:53 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

crashxl: Welcome to the world of reloading This happens all the time. It's common.

And Sierra has it from 4.9g to 6.6g. Speer has it from 5.6g to 6.3g. Are the waters muddy enough yet?

I suppose someone may chime in and give a technical rationalization as to why this occurs so often. But speaking for myself, I try not to get all wrapped around the axle over it, and make a sound decision and proceed.

I'm not a big fan of the 115g bullet in 9mm Luger, so I don't have have a recipe for 115/Unique. I tend to stick with 124's and even 147's for the recoil practice. But if I were to create a load for it, I'd go with Speer's 5.6 starting load. Whenever there are contradictions and all factors seem equal, I fall back on Speer. I've been using Speer for 30 years and I trust it.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:19 AM   #4
crashxl

Thanks fellas. So as long as the bullet weight is the same does it matter if it's jhp or fmj?
Old January 2, 2014, 02:59 AM   #5
DannyB1954

The bullets may be different, you have to check what they tested it with. Also check the OAL It may be different. A longer OAL will allow more powder with a lower pressure. This seems to be your case looking at the pics. The top photo shows 1.09 as the OAL. The bottom photo shows 1.12something as the OAL. Do NOT use the bottom charge with the top OAL. This can lead to excessive pressures. When following a recipe, you have to use the complete recipe, not parts of one and parts of another.

I am reloading using a HDY 124XTP in 9mm with IRM 700x. The midway loadmap uses a OAL of 1.135 and a max charge of 4.1. Another source uses an OAL of 1.069 with a max load of 3.4. And this is with the same bullet design from the same manufacturer. In my gun 3.8gn with oal of 1.135 gives me stovepipes from low pressure. If I were to put that much powder into an OAL af 1.069, I would be overcharged.

Last edited by DannyB1954; January 2, 2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
TimSr

I use the Alliant website as a tie breaker. They list a 6.3gr max.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Billy Shears

This. ^^^

The manufacturer's website is the "horse's mouth" for me.

FWIW, I've been loading 5.7 for years for very enjoyable plinking.
Old January 2, 2014, 01:47 PM   #8
RC20

The critical part is the COL with the round loaded in 9mm

Its such a small case that a shorter round can increase pressure dramatically. If the powder is not compressed not as critical but you always want to be careful and use very good procedure with 9mm

It helps if you have the mfg of the bullet.

Hornady (recent not latest) lists the 115 and the FMJ as

JHP: 1.075

FMJ: 1.100

Same powder chargers apply for both, sadly no unique.

I would load only a few at your lowest charge and see how they cycle.

Most of mine need more than minimum, usually about middle of the charge range, but that varies form gun to gun a lot.