The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

Would like to get into this!!

I would like to get into reloading but I am a little intimidated about blowing my face off. The trimming cases and all that stuff seems like it might be a little complicated or isn't it??

Could someonee give me the push to go out and buy this stuff or not to?!!

I would primarily be reloading for a 223 and maybe my 270wsm. Would it be worth buying a reloading press??

Is that lee press worth it its like 70 dollars or should i go with a lyman or something like that??

Thanks everyone!!
Old November 17, 2006, 01:45 PM   #2
arkie2

If you're going to be reloading for your rifles only, a single stage press would be fine especially if you're interested in working up custom loads. If you're going to be plinking with the .223 mostly then a turret press would be fine. The turret press can also be used single stage for custom loads and if you ever decide to reload pistol ammo it's a big advantage to have the auto indexing turret press. Case preparation is pretty straight forward (trimming) and not face threatening. It's when you add the powder and primer that you have to be careful. Going slow, being safety minded and checking your work is really all that's required. Lee has several kits that would include pretty much everything you would need except dies and case preparation tools.

If you're apprehensive about starting you need to get some reloading instructional books and read them thoroughly. Then read them again. In fact, even if you're not apprehensive you need to do a lot of reading before diving in. Good luck.
Old November 17, 2006, 04:34 PM   #3
Clayfish

I, like you, was very aprehensive about getting into reloading and handloading. I took every one's advice and read up on it and was very surprised how easy it is. I really enjoy loading at my bench for hours and it gives me something to do on those rainy, or really hot days when I'm not shooting or hunting. The biggest thing is read up and be diligent in your reloading practices. A good start is the Lee Anniversary Kit. It has almost everything you need to get started. I would highly recomend loading for your .270 WSM as the price for cartriges is skyrocketing and the WSMs are expensive anyway.
Old November 17, 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
jdmick

I've been reloading for a couple of weeks and fortunately I'm still here. I don't know if it's true of not but someone said that statistically reloading is safer than children's toys. Just pay attention to all the safety guidlines and concentrate on what you're doing. You'll have so much fun that saving money isn't likely though.
Old November 17, 2006, 08:33 PM   #5
kenneth owens

safety!!!

I dont believe I would go with the childrens toy thing,reloading is fun I get alot of satisfaction out of a good batch of my reloads,the thing to remember is SAFETY!!! get a good manual. start with the basics, have someone who has a few years reloading under there belt to show you how and where to begin. this firearm forum is a great place to have your questions answered
be safe have fun this is very addicting
Old November 17, 2006, 09:02 PM   #6
Buckythebrewer

I can't add much to whats already been well said, but here goes.Reloading manuals(I like lee and lyman because they are all ive read, but I here the a.b.c.'s is excellent too)ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP IN RELOADING!!!Then getting started with good quality and safe reloading without breaking the bank(DON't let the low price fool you,Lee products are excellent and all I have been using for many years---(1000's of rounds with my cheap lee challenger press and pace setter+collet dies)--- with good accuracy and quality ammo)..Safety glasses are a MUST especially while seating primers(I have never had one go off yet but I always wear my glasses and listen to safety warnings on products).I have been reloading for many years and I believe it is very safe if you are a responsible person and have a little common sense..Lee products are very easy and safe to use ,,as well as very inexpensive,so if you are not made of money BUY A LEE KIT!!(with manual) Buy Lee dies and you will be happy and be brought into this hobby with safety and ease.Then if down the road there is a special tool (or reloading piece)you need you will know what you are buying it for instead of wasting your money.Also I believe you would save alot of money reloading the 270wsm as well as gain accuracy and bullet selection over factory ammo ..JMO
Old November 17, 2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Kato_Guy

Thanks for all the help everyone!! Ya got me convinced now comes the hard part!!! Convincing the wife!!

For this whole trimming cases would I need a caliper for that or what??

I think I am going to have to check out this book thing and talk to the guy that sold me a 223 he has been reloading for a while

Thanks!!
Old November 17, 2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Kato_Guy

I was looking at the loading velocities and stuff and there was some stuff where they were recomending certain rates of twist for certain gr wts does that really matter?

My win 223 loves the 40hdy and 45grwin jhp so does it amke that big of a deal??
Old November 17, 2006, 11:12 PM   #9
JJB2

reloading is just another fun part of shooting sports to me...... gives me something to do during the iowa winters..... if i can make safe ammo anyone can....... just read the manuals and ask experienced reloaders questions if you have em.... es for what to reload for your rifle ask the guy you got it from what he used. oal,powder charge,bullet wieght, half the fun is customizing ammo tailored to be for your individual rifle... they are all different and prefer ammo that suits em....... just pay attention to what you are doing and know why you are doing it and you'll be alright.... it is a great hobby!!
Old November 17, 2006, 11:58 PM   #10
jdmick

"For this whole trimming cases would I need a caliper for that or what??"

No. You can buy the Lee case trimmer for your particular cartridge(s) and they will automatically trim down to the proper length. You buy them in two parts. First you need to get the lock stud and cutter which comes in one package. Then you get the trim pilot and shell holder which is specific for a particular cartridge. Total cost is around $10. If you want to get fancy you can mount the lock stud on a drill instead of turning by hand. It's a very simple operation.
I would buy a set of calipers to be able to check the overall cartridge length, after you seat the bullet. I picked up a digital one at Harbor Freight for around $15 and it works great. Good luck.
Old November 18, 2006, 12:57 AM   #11
Dave R

Quote:
Could someonee give me the push to go out and buy this stuff or not to?!!
Reloading is no more difficult than making good eggs for breakfast. Its not hard. You'll like it.
Old November 18, 2006, 07:53 AM   #12
qajaq59

Reloading is quite safe..... IF

You follow the instructions in the manuals. You don't try the "If all else fails, read the directions" routine. And you don't take loads off the web. Ever.......
Old November 18, 2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Dave Haven

Quote:
And you don't take loads off the web. Ever.......
Not even from reliable sources like these?

Hodgdon
IMR
Winchester
Alliant
Speer
Old November 18, 2006, 09:57 AM   #14
kenneth owens

yes, with powder manufactures like these you can use there reloading data
I have printed tons from these with safe results,maybe hes refering to
the john doe down the street who has is own load he thought up his self.
Old November 19, 2006, 06:23 PM   #15
amamnn

I would add that loads developed by powder manufacturers are safe if you read and abide by their disclaimers, but remember that they are not as accurate as those listed by bullet makers in their manuals. Certainly data published in Modern Reloading, or the Alliant website or the Hodgon website are going to be safe. When you have been reloading for a while you might want to try to develop a more accurate round. That's when you'll want info from the bullet makers manuals, which will be developed for particular bullets using a wide variety of powders.

If you are a reasonably intelligent and careful person who can read and follow directions, and have a modicum of patience, there is no reason why you should "blow your face off" or maybe even more importantly, endanger those people around you, by reloading your ammunition.
Old November 19, 2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Buckythebrewer

Just be aware of what you are doing.Don't take chances and do your research in what is safe and what is not.Read every word in the reloading manuals and take it to heart for your safety and everyone else around you.If you are the kind of person who just wings it and doesn't follow instructions ,,well you should just quit while you are ahead..Reloading is something to take very seriously but is very enjoyable if you are responsible.Just be responsible about it and the FUN will follow
Old November 19, 2006, 11:32 PM   #17
Kato_Guy

OK just thought of another question guys!!

I have been saving the casings from all my ammo(hdy, win, blk hills, ultra max). If I were to reload does it matter what case I use when reloading bullets?

Tomarrow I am going to buy a book and read up on it so I don't have to bug you all with little questions like this!!!

Thanks a lot everyone!!
Old November 19, 2006, 11:45 PM   #18
keebo52

Quote:
If I were to reload does it matter what case I use when reloading bullets?
You should be able to reload all boxer primed cases. For consistancy and accuracy, I keep my brass separated by manufacturer and by the number of times reloaded.
Old November 20, 2006, 07:53 AM   #19
Mr. Tettnanger

Warning

This is your fair WARNING. Please do not get into reloading. It is an addiction! You will urinate more money and time away than you could ever imagine. You will regret it. You will become a range rat, picking up every piece of shiny, dirty, dented brass you can find.

Seriously-Go for it. Get a few good books and READ them. Reloading is not hard at all, just understand the process and potential and get at it.
I have found that the Lee equipment to be very functional and easy to understand for the price. Opinions will vary of course. I do have a RCBS Rockchucker and Uniflow powder measurer, and lots of Lee presses(handheld, C-frame, Challenger).

I would suggest getting the Lee Anniversary Kit. It has every thing that you will need to get started except-1.) a case trimmer for your desired caliber 2.) a good reloading manual-Try the Lee Book, Lyman Book, and ABC of Reloading 3.) Die sets for your caliber. 4.) Powder and primers

You should be able to get started full force for well under $150!

Best of luck and ask questions.

Mr. Tettnanger
Old November 20, 2006, 08:41 PM   #20
kenneth owens

when it all comes together...

when you finally get all of your eqipment ready make sure your loading area and bench is nice and tidy.one powder,primers,bullets well you get the picture
a clean bench is a safe bench and its lots of fun and its relaxing well it is for me.again take your time to learn. dont rush! be safe and when things get rolling you will really have some fun thousands of bullet ,powder combos to work with. you will know what I mean after a while study,be safe =tons of fun
Old November 20, 2006, 09:06 PM   #21
skeeter1

Take a look here...

http://www.reloadammo.com/

Go to the bottom of the page, and there's lots of information for beginners.

Reloading is fine if you're methodical, meticulous, and careful. It's a great way to spend a winter afternoon. Just be careful not to get too wrapped up in watching the football games on the tube while you're reloading.