The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Mag release engaged while being carried IWB

Just what the title says..

Me: I'm 6'2 175 athletic

Carry Position: 4:00 IWB either Don Hume leather or 1 Uncle Mike's for the SIG 1911

It's happened to my SIG P226, SIG 1911 XO (which is their carry 1911), when I had the FNX-9 and a few others. I noticed when I either hear it, or remove it from my waistband when I get home and the magazine just a few centimeters away from the grip.

What's going on here? Is it cause I'm thin? lol What's the fix? Even when the holsters cover the mag release it happens. The Comp-Tac IWB for the 1911 was on top of it so well that 1/2lbs of pressure would engage it. So I shaved around it. However that holster is no good and when it's drawn the holster comes out with it. Tension released to the max or not..Clips probably are just no good. Maybe I have to buy new ones? Don't know..but wrote them an email to try and resolve it and nothing. So I gave up. Got that cheap little Uncle Mike's. Gun is a mission to find holsters for.

So this happen to any of you guys/gals? What's the fix? It's happened on and off. I'm a perfectionist with my guns, this sets me back a bit when they do this. User error or not.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
checkmyswag

I noticed on the M&Ps they have a bit of an elevated area from the grip around the mag release. So if pressure is accidentally applied, it will be not only on the mag release but on the grip as well and hopefully not release the mag.

Looked at an XDS the other day. Didn't have this elevated area on the grip, but the button to release the mag was very firm.

Not sure about the design of your guns mentioned or their mag release spring strength.

Definitely a good thing to be aware of.

I've never had my Shield release the mag while carrying but do prepare for that just in case. Would be a terrible feeling to have to draw a gun and hear the mag hit the ground. At least I'd have the one in the chamber.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
WVsig

Quote:
Carry Position: 4:00 IWB either Don Hume leather or 1 Uncle Mike's for the SIG 1911
IMHO it is your rig and belt combination.

Look for something like this:

Old September 22, 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks Swagdaddy, lol thinking about getting an M&P 45 eventually

WVsig, I agree...I really need one of those. They seem like real holsters. There one clipped things are no longer useful for me anymore. I'm much more active in my job now where concealed carry needs to be comfortable.

Who makes those? Where can I find them? What's the design even called?
Old September 22, 2012, 08:22 AM   #5
WVsig

Those are Milt Sparks VM2s. There are lots of other quality leather holsters out there. A quality holster and a quality belt make the difference IMHO. I would guess the guns are moving around a lot and that is what is causing your issues.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah, definitely the issue. -___- God I love my OWB holsters, wish I could always use them.

So for sure it's not a gun problem. Cause for several of my guns to be doing that would just be a sick and twisted coincidence.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
drail

If a holster is pressing on the mag release it is either a poorly designed holster or you are carrying it in some position that is causing your hip bone to bear on the rig. (maybe you're a "bony" guy like me) Or the mag release is "extended" a little too much.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah brother, that was just that one holster lol...but the others are what question me a lot. Guess it is just me. But those holsters WVsig mentioned are the ones I've always wanted. They're way more sturdy and practical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 22, 2012, 10:53 AM   #9
MLeake

Do your holsters have bodyshields (extensions of leather between your body and the rear potion of the slide, hammer, etc)?

All of mine do, so the mag release is effectively guarded from the shifting of my spare tire as I go through daily routines.

The bodyshields quickly contour to, and reinforce, the position of thumb safeties, too.

You can see part of the bodyshield in WVSig's 1911 VM2.

Sam Andrews, Mernickle, High Noon, El Paso Saddlery, Soteria Leather, and many others offer bodyshield options on holsters.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Perfect. I needed brands... I know exactly what you mean. I have those for my OWB holsters and I had some for IWB. Like the pic I'm about to take. Needed those brand names. Agreed. Thanks MLeake!

That's for my SIG P226 w/ tlr-1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 22, 2012, 05:52 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Certainly it's your holsters. You've spent good money on guns, spend some on your rig. High Noon, Galco, Milt Sparks and Bianchi are all good holsters to take a look at.
Old September 22, 2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm left handed and found that some Kydex IWBs would release the mag. The area of plastic that covered the mag release had enough reflex that it would engage it when I got in or out of the car. Thus, I've switched to an OWB as with the cover garments, it didn't make a difference.

The Kydex went into the box 0' holsters.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:02 PM   #13
WVsig

Quote:
The Kydex went into the box 0' holsters.

Oh the box of holsters... I always thought I was the only one.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:53 PM   #14
MLeake

I have actually sold a fair amount of inventory from my box of holsters on gunbroker, lately. For those who have such a box, just a thought.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:55 PM   #15
ScotchMan

This happened to me as well back when I carried behind the hip. I ended up switching to the European mag style release (paddle under the trigger guard), found on Walthers and H&Ks. I also switched to appendix carry. Either would solve your issue.

Not saying you should switch your gun or carry method for just this reason, but its something to think about.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 23, 2012, 03:02 AM   #16
saltydog452

Its happened to me but the pistol had the European heel type magazine release.

salty

EDIT: Possible conflict in terminology with the previous post. By 'heel' type mag release, I was refering to the mag release typically found in Eoropean pistols. That release is located in the base of the handle, toward the aft part of the magazine well. Push it to the rear, and the mag releases. Let the back of a chair or a seat cushion bush it to the rear, the mag still releases.

sd.

Last edited by saltydog452; September 23, 2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old September 23, 2012, 06:50 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

MLeake. I'll consider that actually. Sold off so many guns. I still have their holsters.

SaltyDog that's exactly what I did! Picking up my Walther PPQ this Friday or Saturday

Last poster! I know what you meant lol. I don't think it's possible to engage this PPQ

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old September 23, 2012, 07:09 AM   #18
Mrgunsngear

The only guns I've had this happen on are my M&Ps with a hybrid holster. To fix it, I just cut a hole in the leather where the mag release is to take the pressure off that area. Hasn't happened since but this is why I hate mag safeties. It can happen to any gun (as the OP stated); I at least want one round before I have to bend over and pick up the mag off the ground.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

plouffedaddy - bingo! did that on one of them..but it still did it. Should never happen to this PPQ.

Btw plouffedaddy, I'm researching on how to change my SIG's grips back to standard. Going to call SIG tomorrow.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:37 PM   #20
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
Btw plouffedaddy, I'm researching on how to change my SIG's grips back to standard. Going to call SIG tomorrow.
Thanks for the update---should be relatively simple once you have the right parts.

Back on track---I agree that the best way to avoid this ever happening is to go with a HK/Walther type mag release. I actually prefer that mag release over the more common system.
Old September 23, 2012, 05:48 PM   #21
riggins_83

I use the Comptac Infidel holster (Kydex). Holster covers the magazine release well with a fair amount of space, unlikely it will ever contact or release in the holster.

I didn't like the sound of a kydex IWB until I tried one a year ago, haven't touched my leather IWBs since.
Old September 25, 2012, 10:16 PM   #22
pete2

I've not had the mag come out or a 1911 in a holster but I had to replace the extended safety on a Kimber because the holster would move it to fire. It hurt my thumb to shoot it so no great loss.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:56 PM   #23
Edward429451

I've been using the same Ted Blocker holster since the late 80s (LFI rig-IWB 5") and it's only let the safety come off 2 or three times in all that time. Every time was during periods of high activity.

I dunno if Ted Blocker is still around. His holsters rock. Prolly any good holster (read $75 and up) will be good for you.

Here's the pic of mine in another thread.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487920
Old September 26, 2012, 09:59 PM   #24
BGutzman

http://www.shtfgear.com/

See if they have one that fits, I have one for my P290 and it rocks.