The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1
bswiv

We did something different........

Did something different with a few of our hides this year.....had them tanned ( http://www.amtan.com/ ) just to see what we could do with them. Louann wants to slam one on the wall but as her choice is the biggest one that will be a problem......it is 13' 7" from tip to tip and 43" wide ........so what wall???

The smaller ones are 12' 2", 10' 1" and about 9' 6".......she is laying on the big one.

And they smell GOOD.......new leather smell! And I just cringe at the thought of her taking a knife to them!! But as they are done and here....we'll see.

Anyway.......a expensive thing to do with the fruits of the hunt. Cost $6 a centimeter across the belly.....the big one being 103 centimeters!! Ouch!

[IM

Old March 1, 2012, 05:05 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

THEM ARE BADAZZ!!! All are ya'lls kills?

Brent
Old March 1, 2012, 05:12 PM   #3
bswiv

All ours.........

Have 6 or 8 more in the 9-12 foot range still sitting in the cooler salted in the raw........trying to figure out what to do with them. We'll see what she comes up with to make and then decide.
Old March 1, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How supple are they? I would love one or a hunk of one if yall need to make more room...

Brent
Old March 1, 2012, 05:50 PM   #5
rickyrick

I'm thinking pistol holsters and rifle slings.

Those are neat.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:39 AM   #6
bswiv

HD:

They are very soft. How they achieve that is by removing the scale from the hides before they are tanned and then after the hides are tanned they thin them..........especially the big ones because the hide on a big one if thicker than cow hide.

I'll say this though, the thinning......I wish it had not been done. In fact in a few places on each hide ( More on the biggest 2, simply because they were so thick ) they have made holes at the joints of the hide sections. They even rant through along one of the sides at the belly.......

The smaller ones actually came out nicer in that respect as not so much had to be done to make them pliable.

I've got 6-8 more, mostly in the 9-11 foot range, sitting in the cooler salted in the raw. Plan with them is to see if I can find a tannery that will do them full thickness. Sent a couple of emails off the other day in the regard.

The color you see is called nicotine..........Louann like it......I'd of like'd something lighter.
Old March 5, 2012, 08:14 AM   #7
sc928porsche

Save them up and use them for upholstery.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Buzzcook

Nice stuff as usual.
If you like cowboy boots I'd make friends with a good custom boot maker and swap a couple raw skins for a couple boots.