The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 11, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Hog Hunter

Climbing stands

Looking for a new climbing stand for this year. I have two but I built them myself off the pattern of another one. There a lil heavy and very bulky. They are more of a stationary stand then portable. Im really looking for a good bow and gun huntin stand that isnt very heavy, and fairly small for under the three hundred mark really dont wanna spend that much. Whta type of climbing stands do you guys use??
Old August 11, 2010, 07:11 PM   #2
camper4lyfe

This guy really likes these stands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3UMTozza-w

If I had the money, I'd probably pick one up.
Old August 11, 2010, 08:02 PM   #3
bswiv

Have 2 of their smaller ones. They are very light, light enough to where Louann, who is all of 115#, never complains about carrying hers.

Once they are set on the tree they are very stable......and as they are welded they are as quiet as he says.

And the leveling device does work, even though if you are a BIG guy or not limber it will be a pain getting to the bottom platform to adjust it. It is a very nice feature though.

I would buy them again.

Having said that I will aslo say that the Summit I was using before, a Backpacker, was a really strong sturdy stand.......and stable. But it weighed 8 pounds more than this one and took longer, due to the fact that if folded flat, to put on a tree....
Old August 11, 2010, 08:26 PM   #4
MO. Shootin

I would run an add in the paper people sell those things cheap.

This is a little off the topic but I just wanted to stress how important it is to tie the rope connecting the top and bottom together for obvious reasons.
You might be surprised how many people get into trouble because they did not think it was neccesary.

I had a 19 pound summit that had a nice blow up seat and man that thing was comfortable. I never should have sold it.
Old August 12, 2010, 09:40 AM   #5
4406v

Had a Loggy Bayou for 10 years and thought it was a great stand but,after having two slipping incidents where I almost fell out of the stand I scrapped it.I bought a Lone Wolf 6 years ago and have not had any problems since.Lightweight,quiet and absolutely holds onto the tree!!!
Old August 12, 2010, 08:06 PM   #6
BaboonBlockParty

I have a Summit Open Shot; I think it's their lightest and most compact model, and it's served me well. Definitely use a harness cause the higher you go the smaller that platform gets
Old August 13, 2010, 03:07 AM   #7
bamaranger

new summit

I've got a new Summit, its an Open Shot, and the jury is still out. I like the open front for bow hunting, and it is light and portable. But I am new to it and not climbing as well as I'd like. It does not seem to do as well on large trees, the back cable seems to droop. Smaller trees I do much better. I carry both my original near 20 yr old Summit in the truck, and the new Open Shot. If I end up choosing a known small tree spot, I take the much lighter Open Shot.

I still hunt my original Summit, and really, if I could find a new one same same, I'd buy it.
Old August 13, 2010, 06:00 PM   #8
wpcexpert

My favorite is the Ole Man Multi-Vision. I got one back in 2002. Use it for 8 seasons. It got stolen, so I got a new one. They changed the style a bit but I like the improvements. I made a few modifications based on past experience. But it comes with 2 removable bars. One bent bar that can be a footrest or flips for a shooting rair. The other is just a flat bar for safety I guess. Or you can run it as an open front...which is what I do most of the time bow hunting. It packs flat and is fairly light. Quick, quiet set-up.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 13, 2010, 08:39 PM   #9
shortwave

I've used a Tree Lounger for years. Also built and modified a few stands using the Lounger concept. Although a bit heavy, I consider the Lounger the safest most comfortable climber I've ever used. I've fallen asleep in mine countless times.
It hangs, climbs great on all different types of trees. I've even climbed telephone poles and have never slipped.

Want to stay in a stand all day, try a Tree Lounger.
Old August 13, 2010, 10:44 PM   #10
BIG P

TREE LOUNGE gets my vote I'm a good size guy 6'3 260 i've went out 3.00am set untill dark tryin for that one bone head u just got to have in the tree lounge u can sit till the scrape dries if u look can find good deals easy in north GA
Old August 14, 2010, 04:58 AM   #11
bamaranger

heavy

The big stands like the Tree Lounge are not portable enough to suit me.

Plus the guys I saw using them on one of my old clubs, all go the semi permanent route. Get it to a tree, usually by ATV, clamp it on, and they stay attached for weeks at a time.

The public land I hunt often requires a walk in at most places, gates are closed to bow hunters, and open for the infrequent gun hunt. Which is great for undisturbed, solitary bow hunts, but requires a light and portable stand. Portable as in: in goes in on my back, up the tree, and back out and to the truck on the same hunt. Serious straps and light weight are essential.

Most of my hunts are 3-4 hrs max. I can tolerate the skimpy seat and floor of my Open Shot (14 lbs?) for that long.
Old August 14, 2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Dr. Strangelove

Check out Tomcat:

http://www.treeclimber.com/

The "Fat Cat" would be better for bow hunting, as it faces away from the tree.

These guys are good Georgia people, and stand by their products. I have a Tomcat II I bought more than 20 years ago, last year, I noticed some of the climbing teeth had broken off. I called the number listed on their website and got the owner's wife, she insisted on shipping me a new part overnight at no cost to me.
Old August 14, 2010, 10:33 AM   #13
treefarmernc

Another vote for the Tree Lounge. At 26-32lbs (32 with bow adapter), it is a little on the heavy side then again this is a heavy duty stand rated for up to 300lbs. When compared to some other brands with similar weight limits the Tree Lounge is not all that much heaver (within 5lbs) and to be fair being a 270 lb 6’4” guy the weight is not as much a issue for me as it may be fore someone that is only 190 soaking wet. I regular hike in (and out) 1-3 miles with mine and I consider myself of moderate fitness.

To sum up the pros for this stand in one word…… Comfort!!! Few if any stands match the comfort of this stand and the ability to adjust it to different sitting positions is what keeps me in the Lounge. Makes all day hunts bearable and the short hunts just fly by. I have had mine for about 16 years now and plan on keeping it.
Old August 15, 2010, 01:56 AM   #14
bamaranger

your the man

good grief

A 26-32lb portable tree stand???????? Hang a small daypack w/ water and hunting accessories on it, and you are knocking on the door of 40 lbs. Add your bow /rifle, oh boy.

Treefarmer, have at it buddy, but that is too much for me 30-40 trees a season, 1-3 miles round trip. But you like'em and that's fine. At 6'4-270 you much a man.

The original Summit went 18 lbs, PLUS the pack. With the advent of the climbing vest, all my essentials go in it now. The bare 18 lb original Summit felt pretty good. When Santa brought the Open Shot last Christmas, at 14 lbs and the vest, I felt like I could jog to the tree!.

Nice to hear that other folks are hoofing it. 'Round here, hardly anybody walks anymore. Nobody even bikes! Darn kids have ATV's and ride'm to the store for cold drinks!

Two months 'till bow season.
Old August 16, 2010, 06:35 PM   #15
BIG P

Yeah i would'nt use a tree lounge for a part time job either if I was walkin 1to3 miles in and hunt 4 hrs. i'd use a 5 gal. bucket to put my water in the bucket will be there next time.IF you cant stand 30 lbs. what happens if you get a deer OH BOY.I know my tree lounge has wheels to make a cart.The pros/con goes both ways
Old August 17, 2010, 04:08 AM   #16
shortwave

Quote:
I know my tree lounge has wheels to make a cart.
I've used the wheels on my T/L a couple times. There's one spot I go that the terrain is very rough. Many steep hills that run for miles and no ATV's allowed. Not many hunters have permission to hunt there so the pressure is at a minimal. I've carried two monster's out of there with the help of my T/L utilizing the wheels. Very glad I had them.
Old August 17, 2010, 04:39 AM   #17
bamaranger

deer cart

I kill a deer, I get it out on a 2 wheeled deer hauler. I drag it to where the hauler will work. Yeah, 1-3 miles, round trip, 4 hr hunt, plus or minus. I've got some much shorter routes, not to many 3milers. Again, this is round trip. Sometimes I get 2 hunts in a day, different trees. I'll climb 30-40 trees a year on average, sometimes more when I was younger and no family. That's how I hunt.

Its not that I can't "stand" 30 lbs, I choose not to when there are lighter options.

You like the tree lounge, I like the Summit.
Old August 17, 2010, 06:49 AM   #18
mtnbkr

I have a Summit Realtree Outfitter Series Bushmaster Stand (what a mouthfull) from Cabelas. Other than the fact that the "teeth" don't bite into the tree easily enough, I really like it. I can get around that by choosing trees with rougher bark and really jamming the teeth in when I get to my position. IT doesn't fold down much (the arms are fixed), but it is quiet to set up and easy to deploy or pack up. The arms make a nice "pack frame" area for "stuff".

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

I just ordered this to go with it: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64392...tn&cat4=505846

I hunt a lot in the mountains. While I love tree stands, hiking in rough terrain with one is tedious without good pack straps. I'm hoping the LLBean pack will help things.

Chris
Old August 17, 2010, 08:09 AM   #19
cgbills

If you have a Gander Mountain near you, go pick up a gorilla greyback climber, they are on sale right now for $99.99! They are not like the old ones and have been redesigned. I just bought one because it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. It is very good quality, cannot wait to use it.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:46 AM   #20
mtnbkr

My previous stand was a similar model to the Greyback (same brand, less fancy seat). It was ok, but very heavy and a bit fidgety to set up. With all the joints, it developed creaks after a couple seasons.

Chris
Old August 23, 2010, 08:52 PM   #21
Prof Young

With climbing stands . . . just remember . . .

Stand lovers:

The one thing to remember with climbing stands is that if you drops something . . . yea exactly.

On the other hand you can't take a ladder stand with you. Well, you can, but those models are way expensive.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old August 24, 2010, 05:23 AM   #22
mtnbkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I just ordered this to go with it: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64392...tn&cat4=505846

I hunt a lot in the mountains. While I love tree stands, hiking in rough terrain with one is tedious without good pack straps. I'm hoping the LLBean pack will help things.
I wanted to update my earlier post to say I got the pack and tried it out. Wow! It makes all the difference. That stand feels like a properly fitted backpack instead of a hunk of oddly shaped metal dangling from loose straps.

I highly recommend the LLBean pack to anyone who carries a treestand more than a few hundred feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young
The one thing to remember with climbing stands is that if you drops something . . . yea exactly.
I've been using climbers for 3 years now and have only dropped stuff twice. Annoying as heck. It's worth the risk though.

Chris
Old August 24, 2010, 08:54 AM   #23
sserdlihc

Take a look here

https://www.equalizertreestands.com/index.php
Old August 29, 2010, 02:26 AM   #24
bamaranger

dropped plenty of stuff, here's a trick or two

I've dropped LOTS of stuff. Fortunately not me, or my bow. Or a gun.

Here's some tricks:
-I take two releases, identical, up the tree.
-I take a big snap hook, like on a fish stringer tied on the end of my pull rope. Opened like a safety pin, I've retrieved/snagged, all manner of stuff from 20 ft up plus. Including a couple of arrows hooked through the blades.
-anything that is handled a lot, is on a tether or lanyard, tied to my climbing vest
-hats and gloves are the worst offenders