The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2004, 09:08 PM   #1
roadgrime

anyone using or used hornady sst?

last night i picked up the Hornady hanbook of cartridge reloading volume 1 and 2 and like the other handbooks i have I sat down and started reading it in the hopes of figuring out why i dont seem to be getting the performance out of the 180gr sst in my 30-06

I noticed in the book that it shows crimping the cannelure and the SST's apear to have a cannalure although it is narrower that the one on a 30-30 or hornady's interlock.

I have been experimenting with the OAL on my rounds for my rifle but have not been crimping them.

so can anyone tell me if the SST is supposed to be crimped?

I assume if it is supposed to be crimped then figuring out the OAL is no longer an issue since it will be determined by the size of my brass (currently trimmed to 2.484) and the length of the bullet.
Old October 19, 2004, 11:42 PM   #2
Mark whiz

I've played with the SSTs a good bit. I've found that if you want to crimp them, the OALs end up WAY on the short side........... like around 2.500", rather than the SAAMI spec of 2.80" for .308Win loads. This might work in some guns, but is not ideal by any means.

So basically I loaded them to the OAL I wanted and didn't bother with a crimp. Besides, my semi-auto rifles hate the Lee Factory crimp............those rounds string horizontally pretty severely.
!
Old October 20, 2004, 09:43 AM   #3
Rmouleart

I worked up a good load for my 338 WinMag using SST 225gr,I used RE19/CCImag primers, SST's where very accurate, I used a lee factory crimp don't affect OAL. Shot clover leaf at 100 yards using scoped Ruger MarkII all weather, don't know how they work on game, but I'm sure they are very good, quality is there. Hornady is a very good bullet corp, I have used there bullets for many years Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old October 20, 2004, 11:20 AM   #4
roadgrime

well right now I am saving up for the OAL guage that everyone refered to me. since I dont have much confidence in my measurements but I know shooting factory loads i consistently pulled shot groups of 1moa @ 100 yrds. however on my last outing using several loads I worked up i was seeing 2+moa with the sst and 4+moa in my buddies m700 (his is normally sub2moa) so I am working my way through everything to identify if somethign i am doing is leading to the inaccuracy. I figured i would start with my basic loading steps and then work my way into powder and then if all else fails switch bullets. it sounds like with the SST you dont have to crimp so i guess i can rule that out.
Old October 20, 2004, 05:08 PM   #5
MatoTanika

I have been using SST's in my 6.5x55 and ignore the crimp groove. I seat
the 140 SST .010 from the rifling and have been getting excellant
accuracy - usually about .6 to .7 MOA out to 300 yds. If I do my part
real well I can get that same MOA to 400 yds.

Lee....................