The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 11, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Faux Ivory Grips - Saloon Girl Pattern - others

Looking for some info on grips. I recently bought a great looking '61 Colt Navy -36 (repro not original) and I want to dress it up with some faux ivory grips. Dixie shows that they have grips for a '51 / '61 Navy that are of a "saloon girl" pattern which I really like. Have also seen some with Longhorn on them and eagle/shield as well. Does anyone know of dealers/mfgers that offer these kinds of grips at a reasonable price? Dixie has the saloon girl grips for around $57 but before I fork that out, I'd like to see what else is available. Anyone care to share their experiences on what they have / have seen? Thanks!
Old January 11, 2010, 10:49 PM   #2
fastforty

I've seen a couple of sites that specialize in them, they seem pretty dadgum expensive for slabs of plastic (though they do look like nice, quality parts). Of course, I make all of my own grips and holsters, so anything over $10 seems ridiculous
Old January 12, 2010, 07:36 AM   #3
mykeal

Quote:
I make all of my own grips and holsters, so anything over $10 seems ridiculous
You think very little of your own time, obviously.
Old January 12, 2010, 08:20 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

you might try here...

http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/me...Category_Code=

I haven't ordered anything yet, but am looking at using them for replacement grips for a couple of my old guns that I plan on starting to shoot ( to protect the original grips, I thought I'd have some replicas made up & put the originals away ) their prices & selections seem pretty good... the guy e-mailed me back within a day, with some questions I had, so he seemed at least responsive......
Old January 12, 2010, 09:13 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Tombstone grips makes a good product. I have a set on a Ruger Bisley and a few 1911's. They are cast over size so they are sand to fit. With a little effort they well give you a perfect fit.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:53 AM   #6
fastforty

Quote:
You think very little of your own time, obviously.
Yeah, they call me the "Silver Dollar Forger"
Old January 14, 2010, 08:38 PM   #7
Hunter58

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/index.htm
Old January 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

http://gripmaker.com/
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce